Forum Moderator

Re: PoE HAT for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:43 pm

dhavalbbhatt wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:00 am
Hi, what are the shipping times to US?

Thanks,
Dhaval
Do Note that this is NOT the official POE hat, its a third party effort.

mikerr

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Nice to get that out quickly.
Maybe use pass through headers though so we can use the GPIO ?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:09 pm

so far I have not heard the official one will have (useable) pass through headers either. :roll: :(

note that this thing, according to the HAT rules, is NOT a HAT! It has no software control, and/or identification EEPROM.

its also doubtful how well it will play with different models of POE injectors (PoE supplies), there doesn't seem to much intelligence aboard this POE receiver to negotiate voltages and protocols, in fact there don't seems to be any (the underside of the board is not shown, so I have to be careful with what I'm claiming)

furthermore it looks like a hastily made adapter for an off the shelf simple POE module, and there are already complaints of the adapter PCB breaking during transport as a consequence of the mechanical weakness of its construction.

also moved to the for sale section, as the B+ addons section isn't the right place, if only because a 3B+ is not a B+.

bensimmo

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:26 pm

If they (RPI) or the one here uses the recommended HAT gpio pin stop then it should be passthrough and changeable.
I've not seen a picture of the official one showing the underside to see what they are using, only pictures of open holes with pin tops just peaking in them.

For reference:
https://www.toby.co.uk/board-to-board-p ... onnectors/

ryanteck

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:31 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:09 pm
so far I have not heard the official one will have (useable) pass through headers either. :roll: :(

note that this thing, according to the HAT rules, is NOT a HAT! It has no software control, and/or identification EEPROM.

its also doubtful how well it will play with different models of POE injectors (PoE supplies), there doesn't seem to much intelligence aboard this POE receiver to negotiate voltages and protocols, in fact there don't seems to be any (the underside of the board is not shown, so I have to be careful with what I'm claiming)

furthermore it looks like a hastily made adapter for an off the shelf simple POE module, and there are already complaints of the adapter PCB breaking during transport as a consequence of the mechanical weakness of its construction.

also moved to the for sale section, as the B+ addons section isn't the right place, if only because a 3B+ is not a B+.
So far apart from a Fan and a transformer none of the Official hat has been shown either on the underside.

And realistically with the HAT Specification EEPROM what would the purpose be for it? There's no DT Overlays required? So it'd just be a few extra components for it to be able to go "Hi I'm a HAT"?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:38 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:26 pm
If they (RPI) or the one here uses the recommended HAT gpio pin stop then it should be passthrough and changeable.
I've not seen a picture of the official one showing the underside to see what they are using, only pictures of open holes with pin tops just peaking in them.

For reference:
https://www.toby.co.uk/board-to-board-p ... onnectors/
will these connectors really allow another hat board to be connected through?
the headers on a PI are standard length, and whatever you place in between it will still use up a short bit of the length of the pins.

If this still allows passthrough, the official POE board should NOT have an EEPROM either, or adding a HAT board on top will be impaired.

consequently (to avoid confusion) as the POE board does not confirm to HAT specifications it should not be called a HAT either!
the rule implies that you cannot stack real HAT's.

bensimmo

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:04 pm

That's the one's the Specs recommend to use, and they allow pins to passthrough if wanted, as used on SenseHATs
It would need a long pin riser of course, but these allow then to sit just as low as normal. (PoE 4 pin probably the same but may not need the riser as it'll be at normal heights iirc)
No idea if they work upside down, but it does seem a waste losing all the GPIO just to have PoE.

Return to “For sale”