ShortCrust

Short Crust Case

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:49 am

Hey Raspberry Pi community!

We’d like you to meet Short Crust, a case for the Raspberry Pi developed by my brother and I.

We’ve been big fans of the Raspberry Pi and everything it stands for since it was released earlier this year and decided that we wanted to design a case for it that would make it attractive, easy to use and adaptable for different types of projects. It’s been a labor of love and has therefore taken us a bit longer than we’d hoped, but is now ready to show.

Check it out the image below or for more images, head over to our website: http://www.shortcrust.net. We’d love to hear your feedback on the design, so please don’t hesitate to let us know what you think :)

Features:
• Simple, clean design with easy access to all inputs and outputs (addition of GPIO cable support to be included in the final design)
• MicroUSB power relocated to the same side as USB and Ethernet ports for tidy cable management.
• Raspberry Pi snaps into place – secure, no rattling, and easily removable.
• Internal mounting holes for attaching the case directly to your project / prototype.
• Removable cover for hiding the RCA and 3.5mm audio ports when not in use.
• ‘Smoke’ tinted acrylic covers for a clean look while leaving the Raspberry Pi visible.
• Simple, flat covers to make it easier for you to create your own and customize the look of the case.
• Top and bottom covers to make the case attractive when sitting either flat or on its side.
• Open top design with mounting points to allow user made, custom design extensions and stacking of components above the Raspberry Pi.
• SD card doesn’t protrude from the case – looks attractive, easily removable, protected from accidental knocks.

While we would dearly love to start making these cases right now, the project requires a significant initial investment to setup injection mold tooling and manufacturing (the images shown are of our prototype). To achieve this goal we are currently planning to launch the case on a crowd funding website in the next couple of weeks. Before we do this however, we’d like to hear what you, the Raspberry Pi community, think of the case and whether you’d be interested in purchasing one.

We still have some minor refinements to make to the design before manufacturing but this also gives us the opportunity to hear from you if there are other features you’d like to see in the final version. Obviously not everything will be possible to do, but we’d like the design to suit the needs of as many users as possible so are keen to take on board your feedback.

If you like the case, please support us by sharing the http://www.shortcrust.net link with other like-minded people, liking us on facebook, or following us on twitter and hopefully we can make this a reality!

Thanks in advance from the Short Crust team for your support. We look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

zboz

Re: Short Crust Case

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am

Wow, this must be one of if not the nicest case I've seen. I bet it will cost some good money, though as there seem to be some additional steps with the manufacturing compared to purely molded, two part cases.

Any chance of getting a look at the bottom side of the case? Namely, the SD card slot side. And also the snap in mechanism for the PCB would be nice to see.

Is that prototype RIM molded ? It's really neat.

Let's just hope there's room for another case on the market as it seem quite crowded at the moment.

EDIT: BTW , from a mold maker's perspective the design looks really wisely made. The HDMI port, of course, will add to the tooling cost but I think it's the right and only way to go when it comes to looks. I bet there are nuts on the end of those machine screws and tabs which the scews go through and the case stands on the nuts?

killor

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Congratulations is a very ergonomic design.
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

bgirardot

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Very nice design, I like the smoke coloring for the cover so you can still see the board and lights.

I wish you well with your crowd funding, hopefully that goes well and you get all your initial run production costs covered.

I am just using mine for a hacking/learning tool so far so a nice case is not on my list, but I will always kick in a buck on a crowd funding project like this.

hoettienouw

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I love the look of the case!
Though it's a shame it is bigger than needed. Due the micro-USB cable and the SDcard inside the case..

Might be a personal flavour though, didn't see such thing before!

Dweeber

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Nice looking case....

Curious about venting for heat buildup.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

ShortCrust

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, great to hear you guys like the design.

zboz, you're absolutely right about the market being crowded. Wasn't like that when we first started, so not sure at the moment whether there'll be enough interest to make the initial investment feasible. Guess we just see what happens for the moment.

Also right about there being additional manufacturing processes to make the case. The additional complexities mean its taken us a bit longer than expected, but to give you an idea, should the project go ahead we would sell the case for 19.95AUD (Australian dollars) + shipping.

In regard to the underside of the case, hopefully the images below give you a clearer idea. I've added some videos to our website of the snap in mechanism and SD card insertion / removal. This is a just a prototype though, we're planning to tidy up the design of the base and add some clip details to hold the microUSB cable in place in the final version.

ImageImageImage

... and videos here:
http://shortcrust.net/videos/

The prototype was made using an SLA 3D print, sanded and painted.Currently the plan for the final version is to use self tappers for attaching the top and bottom plates, machine screws were just used on the prototype to make sure didn't break any of the SLA parts. Interesting idea with the long screws and nuts though.

dweeber, In regard to venting, there are a few gaps around the connectors which allow heat to escape. We've tested the current design decoding bluray continuously for 4-5 hours with no issues, though we've still got a few more tests to do before we manufacture.

Once again, thanks for the comments, look forward to hearing any more feedback you've got for us.

raspberrypiguy1

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Slick and stylish. Well done!

The Raspberry Pi Guy ;)
Matt, 17 year old @Raspberry_Pi YouTube tutorial maker, programmer, electronics tinkerer, entranced by the cosmos, ISS, Physics, likes Politics, Cambridge UK

toxibunny

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Veeeery nice. Putting the power-in on the same side as the USB was a good idea, too.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

cheery

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Another great case design. I think the foundation should take notice about the position of power source.

zboz

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks for the follow up! You guys are wizards.

LukeDaly

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:50 pm

TAKE MY MONEY *throws at screen*

trazer

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Really like this design, looks great. I think I would personally prefer a clear top so I can fully see the Pi inside, but the smoke looks good too. I'm still waiting on getting my first case for my needs, but yours looks like it would be a great choice.

I keep looking on Amazon and there is not much to choose from there, it is where I've got both my Pi's, power, laptop dock, sd cards, adapter cables and all. Figure I'll get my cases there too.

hotlikedimes

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Oohhhhh I really like this! I've been holding off on getting cases, not really hyped with much that's out there, also kinda difficult to find ones... Looking forward to the final iterations!

abwye

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:17 pm

This looks fantastic!
I always thought I would be against keeping my rpi in a case, simply to preserve the novelty of having the bare PCB on display, but this design has me sorely tempted. And I suppose I'd have to get a case eventually just to keep it safe.

Very much looking forward to receiving updates about this product.

Insoft

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Finally a case that is a case for a user of a raspberry pi and not one of these cases for a raspberry pi and forgets about the user.

Hope it gets released soon so I can buy one.

All the other cases put too much into accommodating the raspberry pi by placing port cut outs were the ports are on the PCB this case dose it right, moves the micro connection were it would be best placed and hide the card and end up with a nice clean design that one would be happy to show off on their desk.

Also love the way you hide the video and sound ports.

felix123

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:12 am

So there's no bottom on the case and you can touch the PCB directly?

emets31

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Seems like a great case for that price! Looking forward to seeing those further heat test results.

milhouse

Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 pm

ShortCrust wrote: Features:
• MicroUSB power relocated to the same side as USB and Ethernet ports for tidy cable management.
• Removable cover for hiding the RCA and 3.5mm audio ports when not in use.
• SD card doesn’t protrude from the case – looks attractive, easily removable, protected from accidental knocks.
Other than the look, which is great, these are my standout features, as it will make a great case for a headless server with improved cable management, protection and any unnecessary ports covered up.

One concern I do have with the design is the lack of any ventilation, maybe some holes or slots in the top would be a good idea? An overclocked Pi running XBMC can easily hit 75/80C when at full whack, so it would be nice to see some sort of consideration given to airflow - relying on gaps around connectors (which could vary in effectiveness due to manufacturing tolerance) may not be sufficient. Bottling up all that hot air inside the case may not be good for the long term survival of the electronics... some aesthetically positioned slots in the lid wouldn't go amiss. :)

dhardingham

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 pm

I'd like the top of the case to be symmetrical. Just because the Ethernet socket is recessed, doesn't mean that the top of the case needs a cutout. Many people don't use the Ethernet socket once they've setup a Wifi connection. A micro USB Wifi adapter is so much more fun, and much more useful.

I too am a little concerned about the lack of ventilation holes. I'm also not too keen on large holes on the base, where small fingers can be poked.

Love the design around the SD card. Getting an SD card out of a Raspberry Pi is usually a little bit of a struggle.

Can you sell a second version of the top section that includes a large hole that provides access to the 26-pin header? This might allow me to use some of the small add-on boards that sit directly on top of the Raspberry Pi. I could use longer screws and washers to raise the top if I need more spece above the Raspberry Pi.

Yes, this is definately very good case.

David
David Hardingham

milhouse

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:23 pm

dhardingham wrote:I'd like the top of the case to be symmetrical. Just because the Ethernet socket is recessed, doesn't mean that the top of the case needs a cutout. Many people don't use the Ethernet socket once they've setup a Wifi connection. A micro USB Wifi adapter is so much more fun, and much more useful.

I too am a little concerned about the lack of ventilation holes. I'm also not too keen on large holes on the base, where small fingers can be poked.
I don't think the top of the case has a cutout - it's the bottom plate (another slice of smoked plastic, covering the holes - which are surely temporary? - and SD card) that has the cutout for the ethernet recess:

Surely though it would be cheaper and more efficient to manufacture a single symmetrical smoked plate that could be used either as top or bottom (top with the addition of the logo), in which case the bottom plate shouldn't have the cutout (the fact it does could just be in the current iteration). The only justification for the cutout would be ease of access when releasing the ethernet jack - I wonder if jamming a digit between the bottom cover and the ethernet jack to enable its release could be troublesome for those with fat fingers...

With the addition of a bottom plate, however, it does mean that removing the SD card will require the removal of the bottom plate - although some sticky tape attached to the SD card may prove effective. I suppose you may have the option to dispense with the bottom plate entirely, which would be satisfactory while building/developing a system when SD card removal/insertion will be frequent, and then add the bottom plate for protection when finally installing the system and the SD card will very rarely if ever be removed.

ShortCrust

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks again to everyone for the fantastic feedback! Great to hear such positive comments about the case!

Its been a while since we posted, so we'd like to give you an update of where we're at and also try to respond to a few comments we've seen in your posts.

Crowd-funding launch: We've been busy trying to find a distribution solution to keep shipping costs as low as possible and make the cases more affordable for you guys. Its taken a little longer than we'd have liked, but now that this is done, we should be ready to launch the crowd funding website by the end of the weekend. Stay tuned and we'll update you when the site goes live :D

Ports and covers: In regard to the SD card , milhouse your comments are spot on. The case can easily be used without the bottom cover, allowing SD card flexibility during build / setup. Once fully setup, the base cover can be put on for protection or could also be left off if you prefer it that way. Also the holes in the base of the main body are temporary as suggested, the design of this will be updated for the final version along with adding support for the GPIO cable through a small cutout on the side of the case.

dhardingham, the cover with a cutout corner is for the base of the case and designed to allow easier removal of the ethernet cable. The top of the case has a symmetrical cover with an engraved Short Crust logo - Check out http://www.shortcrust.net for more images. Also, thinking about add-on boards above the Raspberry Pi, we've had some thoughts about an additional part which extends the height of the case to allow this, however we're going to wait and see how things go before looking into this further. In the mean time, the simplicity of the covers (essentially a flat plate) means that you could probably have a go at making your own custom cover fairly easily.

Heat: At the moment we're still testing heat build-up in the case. If we find that further ventilation is needed we'll modify the design as necessary, though if possible we'd like to avoid creating holes directly in the top cover to maintain the simplicity of the design. Hopefully we should have some more info for you soon, though needless to say this will be resolved before manufacturing.

One other thing to note is that we tested attaching the case to VESA mount using a single screw (the case has two M4 through holes for mounting to surfaces). We know it would be better with two screws into the VESA mount, however this is just not possible with the current design. It does work however, and looks pretty sweet...check it out below:
VESA mount.jpg
VESA mount.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 40387 times
For further info or images, head over to http://www.shortcrust.net.

Stay tuned as we'll post an update here as soon the crowd-funding goes live. Once again, thanks for all your feedback and continued support.

Cheers,
Short Crust Team

Insoft

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Your logo on the case kills the simple elegant look to me, why not put your logo and details on the bottom, the white part of the case and keep the whole case clean, that way one could customise the top look of the case with clear covers that are placed under the black clear top to prevent it pealing off, with say a raspberry pi logo in white or you could include your own as an option.

Insoft

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:21 pm

I would love a pro version say the white plastic part in aluminium, that would be a case "like no other"

Just one issue I am concerned about is how this case looks with the GPIO ribbon cable, from what I see it looks like you leave off the bottom section of the case, also what about the other ports for the camera and lcd ?

Also about heat, if they is an issue with heat what about an optional internal small fan that taps power from the usb port and a temp probe to effect span speed, perhaps have a small gap along the top edge on both sides for venting, this way one could use that small gap for a ribbon cable and the case still look good.

ShortCrust

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 am

Hey Everyone,

Quick update to let you all know that we're just finalizing the details of our PayPal account setup and crowd funding site. The funding site should be live this week so we can start taking orders....exciting times! :D

Keep checking back as we'll post an update here when the site goes live or alternatively, head over to http://www.shortcrust.net and like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and we'll keep you updated with whats happening.

Cheers,
Short Crust Team

Return to “For sale”