corvonero

Re: Pibow (a colourful case for your Raspberry Pi)

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 am

Receveid my Pibow yesterday, everything was fine and it looks gorgeous.
Congratulations to Pimoroni for a real nice design and idea.

RaTTuS

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 am

look's like pibow towers have just taken delivery of third 3rd laser cutter
https://twitter.com/pimoroni/status/254 ... 46/photo/1
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

pibow

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:45 am

RaTTuS wrote:look's like pibow towers have just taken delivery of third 3rd laser cutter
https://twitter.com/pimoroni/status/254 ... 46/photo/1
I couldn't possibly confirm or deny that :)

thogue

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Well, I just broke my raspberry pi.....and its mostly due to me not being accustom to the case....

I removed my GPIO cable, and it didnt come off easy, and I heard a slight POP, I had a finger on the board to hold it in place, but guess it wasnt enough pressure..... so there goes my sd card slot. :oops:

this was a custom GPIO cable cut from a floppy cable...... looks like I paid the price.....

TL;DR be VERY careful removing your GPIO cable from the pibow, you can EASILY break your sd card slot. which results in a useless pi.

which result in your pi not working as the connection to the sd card is extremely sensitive, I havnt been able to finish a successful boot without the tiniest wiggle of my hand causing disk errors.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 pm

thogue wrote: this was a custom GPIO cable cut from a floppy cable...... looks like I paid the price.....
I doubt the connectors on the GPIO cables people are selling are any different from those on floppy cables.
which result in your pi not working as the connection to the sd card is extremely sensitive, I havnt been able to finish a successful boot without the tiniest wiggle of my hand causing disk errors.
What exactly broke?
If it's the solder joints then you can probablly resolder them.
if it's the socket it's probablly possible albiet tricky to replace them.
If the pads broke away from the board you are probablly screwed.

thogue

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 am

plugwash wrote: I doubt the connectors on the GPIO cables people are selling are any different from those on floppy cables.
Sorry, I wasnt clear, it was cut from a floppy cable which has more than 26 pins, I just snipped the connecter off at pin 27/28. So it is slightly larger than what you would get from a home-pressed gpio cable. I used the cable for a small project and just soldered the other end of the cable onto the board of my project. I dont really know if this has anything todo with it, I fill like its harder to pull off than my 26pin from Adafruit.
What exactly broke?
If it's the solder joints then you can probablly resolder them.
if it's the socket it's probablly possible albiet tricky to replace them.
If the pads broke away from the board you are probablly screwed.
The SD card slot broke. It looks like it could be replaced... but looks like it would be pretty difficult for me. Here is my attempt at an ascii art explanation from the underside view. Maybe a hack fix could be to glue a microsd converter in

Code: Select all

/- -- -- -- -- --\
                                   ||                |
                   cracked here -> ||                | <- the top plastic on this side cracked off 
                                          ^
                                           |_ insert cd card here

Also and to clarify about "paying the price", not only for using the "cut up floppy " gpio cable but not exercising enough caution on my behalf. In the future I will just remove the sd card before removing a GPIO cable.

thogue

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm

Perhaps it might be good to make blue plate flush with the connector? Looking it seems that the blue layer and the sd card slot are not flush with eachother and the blue layer might actually be <1mm taller than black plastic of the sd card slot, so the sd card rests on the blue plastic as well.

Maybe an improvement would be making the slot have more room in that "direction" might make it more forgiving to the sdcard while removing a GPIO cable with the sdcard in place. Just a suggestion, I realize that I did not exercise enough caution. Also, the reason I came here was just was to head the warning to other pibow users to be careful with their sdcard cards while messing with GPIO cables.

On more further investigation if I had used the mounting holes I would not of been able to pull the board away from the baseplate and consequently pulling my sdcard into the underside of the blue plate which is where I believe the pressure was caused.....

So I have one on topic question; Is there plastic hardware out there recommended for use with the pibow for mounting the rpi to the pibow via the mounting holes ?

and the off topic one is, anyone have any advice on how to get this pi up and running agian? where could I buy or have the sdcard slot replaced? would this fit under rma? if anything please send me a pm.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Trixster

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Just ordered a blue adafruit pibow case. They look fab!

reddakota

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:23 am

I too just ordered the Adafruit version of the Pibow.

The rainbow coloring is too much me but the Adafruit version looks incredible. Any chance of making solid colors available? I would love a solid black case with the Raspberry Pi logo etched on the top.

Trixster

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Ninja, Crystal and Toxic Pibow's advertised on the Maplin's website, in stock in 16 days!

excollier

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:12 pm

No images yet.

edit: toxic is blinding yellow! pictures on Adafruit,
Ninja and crystal look tempting.

reddakota

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:50 am

The Adafruit case arrived and it looks gorgeous. Nice solid sturdy enclosure. I want to distinguish my PIs from each other otherwise I would buy another.

Just saw the new pibow cases. The ninja looks tempting but the toxic is a bit much.

Trixster

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Was it delivered by DPD? What day did you order it?

reddakota

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Trixster wrote:Was it delivered by DPD? What day did you order it?
I live in the US. Delivered by USPS. Ordered very late Sunday night (Dec 2).

enuui

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 pm

awesomely speedy delivery.
much love guys.

now all i have to do is wait for the Pi to arrive :mrgreen:

Trixster

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Adafruit blue pibow case arrived today. Blimey, it's a thing of beauty!

Linus

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Hast anyone received a UK made Raspberry Pi with black USB Ports (Well the plastic in them)?
Mine arrived today and it just doesn't fit into my "old" Revision 1 Pibow, there is a little piece of plastic under the USB-Hub that is slightly longer than in my older Rpi.

I'm considering cutting off the small part if the Pibow I ordered a few days back is also to small, but I'd prefer not to.
Attachments
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (52.12 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
P1.jpg
P1.jpg (63.02 KiB) Viewed 4169 times

littlepasty

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Bought my Pibow today from a local maplins store, same place i got my RPi, no problems with putting together and even feel in love with the packaging of it. No complaints from me at all. safe secure and to be quite honest one of the most beautiful cases i have seen!

BobCochran

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm

I just ordered a classic Pibow (which I believe was made by the real Pibow company) and should get it in several days. I have a Model B Pi board and I am just wondering if there is enough room inside the case to contain the P5 headers. My understanding is those have to be installed "upside down" so that the pins are exposed on the bottom of the PCB. Think of it as the P1 headers sticking up...the P5 headers are on the bottom of the PCB and sticking down. I haven't given any real thought to it but I suppose one would install another ribbon cable on the P5 headers and route the ribbon out of the case, perhaps under the P1 headers.

It is not an issue for me, curiosity only.

I will be very pleased to get my cheerily colored Pibow. It is illustrated on page 9 of the book "Getting Started with Raspberry Pi" by Matt Richardson and Shawn Wallace.

Bob

Figman

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm just about to order the PiBow from the UK, but I'm worried about the air circulation in it. I know there's holes cut out everywhere, but those partitions seem to be stopping airflow and the main vent on top only seems to ventilate the CPU ; there doesn't seem to be a lot of venting for the other chips.

I'm planning to overclock the hell out of this thing so, I've got some heat sinks from modmypi. But I'm worried if the pibow won't fit these heat sinks and due to air flow restrictions, would end with a colourful pile of melted plastic.

Anyone with experience OCing with a Pibow, what temps have you got and would installing heat sinks in the case help lower them much? And also does anyone out there know some hacks for the pibow to improve airflow?

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:33 am

my pi bow system has heat sinks on the 2 main chips and it fits fine
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Mystel

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Agreed - I have two heatsinks on mine and the case fits beautifully. By far the most gorgeous case on the market :D I love it!

Sorry - addendum - heatsinks dropped my temp about 10 degrees on average during heavy use. The case has massive airflow holes right above the main processor so you'll be good to go.

murky

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:50 pm

enuui wrote:awesomely speedy delivery.
much love guys.

now all i have to do is wait for the Pi to arrive :mrgreen:

oh! that's great.. I think they really love there customer.... :lol:
for giving a speed delivery :lol:

Return to “For sale”