pibow

Pibow (a colourful case for your Raspberry Pi)

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 am

Hey all!

We've just started taking pre-orders for our new Raspberry Pi case. You can see it here http://pibow.com!

If you're interested in more pictures we have a few of our forth prototype here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 628221454/

Obviously these are of a prototype so don't reflect the final finish - but give you a good feel of the product overall :)

We hope you love it - it's fun, colourful, robust, and good quality!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pibow (a colourful case for your Raspberry Pi)

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 am

Saw one of these at the Cambs RaspberryJam - looked really nice.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

pibow

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 pm

jamesh wrote:Saw one of these at the Cambs RaspberryJam - looked really nice.
Thanks for the compliment! We really believe they offer something more interesting than a lot of the alternatives :)

recantha

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:27 pm

Awwww. That's cute, it's like a rainbow for your Pi.... Hey! I just got that! ;-)

Expected price?
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

pibow

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:28 pm

recantha wrote:Awwww. That's cute, it's like a rainbow for your Pi.... Hey! I just got that! ;-)

Expected price?
Actual price :) £9.95 + shipping (depending on your location). Check the pre order page for options.

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm

£12-50
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

pibow

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:31 pm

RaTTuS wrote:£12-50
That includes UK Shipping - the base price is £9.95.

* UK Shipping = £2.50, Worldwide Shipping = £5.00

recantha

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Ouch.
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 pm

nice & it works out about the same as the average price of the other cases i have bought for testing so i think i'll add at least one pibow to my collection of cases as soon as the holder of the household purse loosens her grip on it

pibow

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:58 pm

recantha wrote:Ouch.
We think £9.95 is very reasonable considering the quality of the product.

It is made out of 9 unique layers, each laser cut from cast acrylic which means it costs considerably more to produce than a simple injection moulded case would.

recantha

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Ohhhh, right. Under £10 plus postage. That's really very reasonable. My apologies.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:19 pm

recantha wrote:Ohhhh, right. Under £10 plus postage. That's really very reasonable. My apologies.
it's near enough the same price as the pi house (9.95 GBP) & adafruit's case ($14.95) with at least twice the material used, maybe even 3+ times the amount. i think it's pretty reasonable

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:21 pm

They're also giving the Foundation a proportion of the profits, *and* funding a local hackspace with the profits too. I think that's pretty good value. :) I've played with one, and they're *really* nice; very solid (no rattling around in there), and very pretty.

Edit to add: I should point out that we're very close to the designer - he's Paul, who designed this forum and the Raspberry Pi logo, and he's been talking to us through the development of this case.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

recantha

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Which one's the Pi House? Not heard of that one!

Mortimer

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:29 pm

recantha wrote:Which one's the Pi House? Not heard of that one!
http://www.bitbarn.co.uk/thepishop/pihouse.htm
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

guru
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey folks, yes, this is my case project :)

I'd like to introduce Jon who is 'pibow' my business buddy.

We'll be answering questions on here about the case, and posting more videos, images, and things like instructions over the next couple of weeks as we ramp up production and explain more about how we'll expand the case into a system of things to Pi with.

pygmy_giant

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Nice!

If you had longer screws could you fix 2 together?

Would it be possible to have a downstairs compartment with a battery pack?
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:07 pm

the one thing i'm looking for in a case that I haven't seen so far (not looked at all the cases available i don't think) is to have the top hinged so it can be opened to access the gpio connector and then closed when needing to be put away so the cat don't get to it. is there anyway that a top plate could be done as an add-on?

8 (7)? layers would be the same & just a replacement top

recantha

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 pm

I've got a smaller one of these:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqQOKpEE25vTwFQ0BN3SeuyoeQ~~1_3.JPG

...that I've cut holes in. The top comes off and I store things like the WiFi dongle in there when I'm not using it. The one I've got is big enough that the SD card doesn't stick out. The only issue is that I have to use some cable ties to keep the Pi in place inside the box which prevents me removing the SD card. I'm going to use some Polymorph to do something about that though so that the Pi is stable in the box but easily removable. Will post pics when I can.

liz

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:01 pm

The Pibow has a slot for a ribbon cable which allows it to come neatly out of the side if you're using one with the GPIO - I think it's the first case I've seen that does that.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Montala

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:10 pm

liz wrote:The Pibow has a slot for a ribbon cable which allows it to come neatly out of the side if you're using one with the GPIO - I think it's the first case I've seen that does that.
Having said that, it's not everyone who will be using the GPIO, and so will therefore have no use for the slot which, in my opinion anyway, does slightly spoil the appearance of that side of the case.

Two question then, firstly, will it be possible to purchase one without the 'slot,' and secondly, can the segments be assembled in any random order or is this fixed by the design of the case, and the position of the various connections etc.?

Thanks! :)

Edit: Perhaps I should have had a look at the assembly instructions on the website, before asking my second question, but my first one still stands!
Last edited by Montala on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

pibow wrote: We think £9.95 is very reasonable considering the quality of the product.
One of the things about the low price of the Pi is it makes accessories look expensive. Spending £12.50 on a case for a £30 computer just feels wrong even if it is a reasonable price for what you are getting.

Montala

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:20 pm

plugwash wrote:
pibow wrote: We think £9.95 is very reasonable considering the quality of the product.
One of the things about the low price of the Pi is it makes accessories look expensive. Spending £12.50 on a case for a £30 computer just feels wrong even if it is a reasonable price for what you are getting.
I think that because the RasPi is being sold just as a 'bare board' it is distorting the perceived pricing somewhat.

If (for example) it was being sold already mounted in a smart looking case (such as this one) for £40, then I think it would still be considered as good value for money.

As has been mentioned several times before, whereas a lot of users will be looking for the cheapest possible case they can find, or even making one themselves, there are those who are more than happy to spend that bit more to enhance, in their eyes, the 'appearance' of their new acquisition.

recantha

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:51 pm

As I've said before. You want cheap, search for paper cases. You want slightly cheap? Go for the Adelt case. You want something strong and sturdy? You're looking at £10+.

Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya choice

guru
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:55 pm

pygmy_giant wrote:If you had longer screws could you fix 2 together?
If you had longer screws and a thick bolt you could mate two together. The bottom one has the screws placed in from the bottom, the top one has the screws the 'normal' way.

There is also the possibility of grub screws as well. We've got a ton of screw samples and other widgets to sort through to make accessories and expansions work.
pygmy_giant wrote:Would it be possible to have a downstairs compartment with a battery pack?
The best bet for this would be 'build up' layers, that do nothing but increase the height and make room for daughterboards and batteries and the like. We can cut down on the internal struts as well to make them easier for hacking.

This makes it all look less cool though :)

Return to “For sale”