This post is to introduce the ETHA Light Switch, an intelligent, programmable, remotely manageable time switch for lamps and other electrical devices. ETHA Light Switch time switches can be completely controlled by the ETHA Manager Android app.
ETHA Light Switch is not a product as such. It is a project consisting of hardware and software. The software is available for everyone free of charge. The hardware consists of a Raspberry Pi Zero W, a casing and a handful of electronic parts. These you’ll have to buy and assemble yourself.
The main features of ETHA Light Switch are:
- Programmable with clock times and solar times (sunset, multiple versions of twilight, etc.). This means that you’ll never have to reprogram your time switch in the spring and autumn when the days are getting longer or shorter. Switching to and from daylight saving time is automatic.
- As many clock rules as you want, managed from the ETHA Manager app. Clock rules can not only specify a period that the attached lamp is on, but also a period that the lamp switches on and off in a specified or random pattern. This can help to scare off burglars.
- Switchable (on/off) with a button or with this Android app. With the Android app multiple lamps can be switched on or off at the same time (by grouping them together).
- Full in-house solution (not depending on Google Home or Amazon Alexa). You have full control of your own data!
- Accessible from the internet (if you want to).
- There are many more features, explained on the project’s website: www.etha.erik.terwan.nl.
Remember, all software is available for free (including an adapted Raspbian Stretch Lite disk image for the Raspberry Pi Zero W), but you'll have to build the hardware yourself. This is the hardware diagram of ETHA Light Switch in a testing setup:
All you need to know how to build the ETHA Light Switch is explained here: www.etha.erik.terwan.nl.