andymiller

is windows currently possible?

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Is it possible in any form? Either as an embedded image?

drgeoff

Re: is windows currently possible?

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:14 pm

No, not in any form that is useful as opposed to being a curiosity.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

mimi123

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:39 pm

There is ceonpi.codeplex.com .

gcsx

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Hello,

EDIT : I didn't know about ceonpi, thanks mimi123
Windows will never be [edit]officially[/edit] possible on first generation of Pis (A, B, A+, B+).

However, Microsoft announced that a special Windows 10 edition for single board computers, named Windows 10 for IoT will be available for Pi 2 only at http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/W ... am-for-IoT very soon.

RaTTuS

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:52 pm

and windows 10 IOT is not what you may think it is ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:56 pm

gcsx wrote:Hello,

EDIT : I didn't know about ceonpi, thanks mimi123
Windows will never be [edit]officially[/edit] possible on first generation of Pis (A, B, A+, B+).

However, Microsoft announced that a special Windows 10 edition for single board computers, named Windows 10 for IoT will be available for Pi 2 only at http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/W ... am-for-IoT very soon.
Yes...but Win10 IoT is not "Windows" as most people think of it. You also have to sign up with MS as a "developer" and there are a bunch of license restrictions.

I think the real issue here is one the OP needs to answer: What is it about WIndows that you need on a Pi? If it's the GUI, the Pi has one (well...several, really), and all but the thickest Windows user should be able to handle it. If it's a matter of running a particular program, the issue is really ARM vs. x86. The Pi instruction set isn't the same as the conventional Windows system and Windows application programs aren't going run, at least not at a usable speed once an x86 simulator gets through with them.

drgeoff

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:43 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Yes...
AFAIK Windows 10 for Raspberry Pi (whatever it is) is not currently available and hence not "currently possible".

(I have registered with Microsoft but apart from an acknowledgement of that registration I have had nothing further from them.)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

gcsx

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:31 pm

@drgeoff Yes, it's not available yet. MS just said "soon".

Of course, W10 for IoT is not the same as W10 for PC or Tablet.
You will not be able to run desktop app from your PC out of the box on a Pi.

AFAIK it will share kernel and some API with W10 for PC and Phones.
I don't know what it means for us (Pi users) yet, but maybe we should be able to make "universal apps" which can run on any W10 powered device.

The goal is to replace WinCE, therefore it may have a partial support for Win32 APIs as WinCE have. In this case, some desktop apps will only need to be recompiled, some other may need some porting, and some other will not be portable at all.

The current license is fairly simple and forbid us to use W IoT in a production environment or for commercial use.
It is also forbidden to modify or to redistribute the OS itself.

The full license : https://www.windowsondevices.com/EULA.aspx
Of course, it is subject to change with the upcoming releases, but the current one allow us to experiment, develop and share code and apps running on the OS, but not an image of the OS with or without preinstalled apps like Raspbmc.

Wait and see...

Return to “Beginners”