robbage

Re: Windows 7, win32diskimager not working!

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:41 pm

The only time win32diskimage doesn't work for me is if I forget to run it with admin privileges (right click, select "Run As...")

Elthrin

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 am

I was having issues with Disk Imager not starting up on WIn 7 but I have discovered that it I run the program before inserting the SD card into my laptop, everything works or. I simply insert the card after Win32 Disk Imager has started and it is automatically detected.

Thommango

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm having problem with win32diskimager too. I was able to use it to create an image on an SD card ok. But now I'm trying to back that SD card up, and it is throwing an error that reads "timed out waiting for semaphor..." I also tried using Roadkil. It also throw an error message at about the same point in the back up (about 2 seconds in). Roadkil didn't include any error details.

I think I will get an external card reader and try backing up using my mini mac.

GrueMaster

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Sorry about the lag time loading v0.7. I wanted the program to come up with a default directory for images, and logically chose the users Downloads directory (that's where I.E saves downloaded files like the RPI images). Unfortunately Windows has different locations for this directory with each release, along with different api calls for each release to discover this location. My solution was to search the user's directory for the Downloads folder, but it was slow. v0.8 now has a more optimized search that is far quicker. And the search can be completely bypassed by adding an environment variable to your system environment.

v0.9 will be out shortly (likely end of July 2013). I have fixed the issue with some built-in SD readers not detecting the SD card (again, Windows API/SD Driver functionality issues), and hope to fix the Error 5 issue where you need to put the SD card in after starting the app. This is due to Explorer taking control of the device first. I believe the "Only writes 56K fat partition then errors" issue may be related to this, as Windows (ever so helpful) sees the new partition and tries to open it. This is only a theory, but I am trying to reproduce and debug it.

As I said in two previous posts, I am trying very hard to fix user issues, but I really need people to report issues to me, not here. If you have a complaint about the program, complain to me. Just remember I can't fix your issue if I don't have sufficient information.

Thanks to projects like this, the program's popularity has grown beyond our wildest expectations (originally a last minute program for installing Ubuntu Jaunty on netbooks w/o cd drives). Because of this, I refuse to abandon it and will continue to fix issues as best as I can. Keep filing bugs and be patient.

Thank you,
Tobin Davis
Maintainer/lead developer
Win32 Disk Imager (aka Win32ImageWriter)

poodle448

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Nothing here is helping, I've been having problems with my SD card for about two weeks now. I'm trying to install Arch Linux ARM and all my SD cards are having a problem.
:ugeek:

chorlton2080

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:31 pm

GrueMaster wrote:As the current maintainer of Win32 Disk Imager (aka Win32 Image Writer), I am surprised to find people reporting issues with this program anywhere but in the program's bug tracking system (currently Launchpad.net but moving to SourceForge by the end of the year).

I am currently looking into reports of it not working on newer systems with SDIO based built-in readers, but since I am a Linux developer, it isn't easy. I will attempt to make a diagnostic button for people to click that will generate useful system information that I can use, but it won't be available any time soon (I only work on this in my very limited spare time).

If you have any information that may help for me to reproduce this (or other issues), please report them either here or here.

Thank you,

Tobin Davis
Personally I love Win32DiskImager. I run it on Win7 and XP.

The only problem I encounter is the error when trying to restore a backup onto a card which should be of similar capacity to the original but clearly isn't. I understand that Win32DI is trying to prevent a faulty restore, but in my case I'm only using 10GB of the 16GB capacity, therefore I wouldn't be concerned if only a partial restore occured. Could you have an option to proceed with the restore depite the reported size limitation of the destination SD card? Finding two SD cards of the same capacity is often difficult.

Keep up the good work!

whale

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:45 pm

I thought I would add my twopence...
My RPI sd card will not appear in OSX 10.8 at all, but with the card inserted OSX will not even get to the login screen.... chicken / egg?... no, Mac.
It will appear very occasionally in windows 7 Ultimate but neither win32 Disk Imager nor Roadkils Diskimage 1.6 can copy it.... they both "stop responding" even in adminstrator and/or emulation modes..... win32 Disk Imager eventually returns a 1117 i/o error... cannot read from disc.
Linux cannot see it (at all) either.
Clonezilla can see it straight away, but complains continually of an interrupt timeout..... nothing to be done.

When windows (the only OS that has even managed to "see" the card) finally gives it a drive letter then DiskImage 1.6 will not even start (it's GUI shows empty boxes with no text). Windows device manager sees it immediately but cannot find the volume information, and if I try to populate the volume the mmc crashes.
All of the other sd cards that I own pop up and behave "normally" under all os's..... but of course they are not "bootable".
Weird? Probably not?
This suggests to me that there is a problem with my (internal) sd card reader firmware (it is a Broadcom after all) , or that there is something very nasty/clever in my wheezy distribution, or that I am unlucky (certainly), but it does not suggest to me that any clever and devoted free software developers are deficient in any way,
David.

whale

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Hey Ho,

If you are a mac fan-boy please read no further. As you may have read above, there was NO WAY that my MacBook Pro would let me clone my RPI SD card (even though it's an Intel/Unix machine).
My Samsung I7 IvyBridge.... same processor, same same everything but less than half the price..... running windows 8.1.... did what was required using win32 Disk Imager in about 12 minutes (8gB cloned) without a whimper.

David.

GrueMaster

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:54 pm

I was having issues with Disk Imager not starting up on WIn 7 but I have discovered that it I run the program before inserting the SD card into my laptop, everything works or. I simply insert the card after Win32 Disk Imager has started and it is automatically detected.
I have seen this issue on some systems now. It appears that some systems don't report the insertion of an SD card the same as others. Win32DiskImager registers for insertion/removal notification on startup (which is why drive letters appear/disappear when removing USB sticks). I'll try to dig a little deeper into msdn to see if there is some other notifications that need addressing.
The only problem I encounter is the error when trying to restore a backup onto a card which should be of similar capacity to the original but clearly isn't. I understand that Win32DI is trying to prevent a faulty restore, but in my case I'm only using 10GB of the 16GB capacity, therefore I wouldn't be concerned if only a partial restore occured. Could you have an option to proceed with the restore depite the reported size limitation of the destination SD card? Finding two SD cards of the same capacity is often difficult.
I feel your pain here, and am exploring a way to make this work by chopping unused sectors off the end of the image file to make it fit. This is one of the "Must Have" features I am pushing into 1.0 release, along with a reformat option, Image Compare/Verify, and compressed image support (img.gz, img.Z, etc).

Sorry, I don't get to this site often to help out with issues. I highly encourage users to post bugs/questions/feature requests on either https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager or https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer.

Thanks,

Tobin Davis
GrueMaster

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:14 pm

Is everybody running it with administrator rights under Windows (7) ?

That is right click on its application icon then choose "run as administrator"?

I can imagine situations where the program won't work with some card reader hardware if you do not run it with administrator rights, specifically when its a built in card reader, instead of an USB card reader.

Panther

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 am

Has this issue been resolved? I also cannot burn a new bootable raspbian image cloned from a fully working and functional 16GB SD Card by win32diskimager. I am trying to make a cloned card using a new Toshiba laptop and Windows 7 and the writing of the backed up image to the SD Card takes an excessive amount of time (in excess of 7 hours) and once finally completed and the cloned SD card inserted into the pi and the pi powered up the pi just hangs and does not boot. :(

A reliable, easy and expedient method to clone a SD Card would be great as I do not wish to redo all my work everytime I buy another pi or crash an SD card.

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 am

Get a copy of Knoppix on a USB stick.
Boot that on your laptop and you get a full fat, easy to use Live Linux system.

You can then do all the stuff you'd like using native Linux commands.

The alternative is a USB SDCard reader. Then you can use your RPi to work with a second SDCard (backup, recover, tinker, fiddle, fix, fsck, etc.).
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

DeeJay

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 am

Panther wrote:Has this issue been resolved?
The author of the utility posted in this thread - Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:54 pm - and provided links via which issues can be raised.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/posti ... 0#pr528471
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Panther

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 am

Thanks Doug I will look into that, but I had some success and the Image I was cloning was finally completed to the new SD Card and it is bootable, though it still took several hours! Okay joy at last.... but it appears it only placed the raspbian OS on the new SD card and not all my other files and folders was primarily what I was trying to backup... my work. Any suggestions?

DougieLawson wrote:Get a copy of Knoppix on a USB stick.
Boot that on your laptop and you get a full fat, easy to use Live Linux system.

You can then do all the stuff you'd like using native Linux commands.

The alternative is a USB SDCard reader. Then you can use your RPi to work with a second SDCard (backup, recover, tinker, fiddle, fix, fsck, etc.).

Tarcas

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:10 am

Panther wrote:Thanks Doug I will look into that, but I had some success and the Image I was cloning was finally completed to the new SD Card and it is bootable, though it still took several hours! Okay joy at last.... but it appears it only placed the raspbian OS on the new SD card and not all my other files and folders was primarily what I was trying to backup... my work. Any suggestions?
I'd just SCP or FTP them over once you have Raspbian running. Ethernet is usually easier than Sneakernet. Doubly so when you're using a partition type that one of your operating systems doesn't support.
If there's a reason that the network won't work for you, you could drop them on a USB thumbdrive, pop that into your Pi and mount it, and then copy them over from there.

cormiersa

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:53 pm

So here are the details for it not working on my box Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Intel CPU i7 with 32G

when you run the installer it notifies you that there is an unknown author,
Then it welcomes you and tells you it will install Win32Disk Imager 0.9.5 on your computer
Asks you to accept the license agreement
shows you where it will install it "C:\Program Files (x86)\ImageWriter"
Tells you it will create the following folder "Image Writer"
Screen to select additional tasks
Ready to install summery screen
"Destination location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ImageWriter

Start Menu folder:
Image Writer

Additional tasks:
Additional icons:
Create a desktop icon
"
Finishes install!
tries to run the program
"Unable to execute the file:
C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\ImageWriter\Win32DiskImager.exe.
Process failed code 740

Hope this helps

B.Goode

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:23 pm

cormiersa wrote:So here are the details for it not working on my box Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Intel CPU i7 with 32G

DirkS

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:28 pm

B.Goode wrote:
cormiersa wrote:So here are the details for it not working on my box Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Intel CPU i7 with 32G
:?: Did you get the URL wrong?

Edit: URL was wrong in the quoted topic. I think it's actually http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 0#pr528471

Gr.
Dirk.

B.Goode

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:35 pm

DirkS wrote: :?: Did you get the URL wrong?
I don't think so. It seems to point to a posting from someone who appears to be the author or supporter of the utility being complained of, and it ends with this advice:
Sorry, I don't get to this site often to help out with issues. I highly encourage users to post bugs/questions/feature requests on either https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager or https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer.

Tarrabyte

Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:47 am

Yeah I'm not able to install windisk32 either, any one have a solution to this?

B.Goode

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:57 pm

Tarrabyte wrote:Yeah I'm not able to install windisk32 either, any one have a solution to this?
The previous discussion in this old thread has been about this application not working as expected, with the implication that it must first have been installed.

If your problem is that you cannot install the program in the first instance I suggest you would be better advised to start a new topic for that query. Some details of which operating system you are trying to install win32diskimager on, and how its installation fails, might be helpful in getting informed advice.

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:44 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Tarrabyte wrote:Yeah I'm not able to install windisk32 either, any one have a solution to this?
The previous discussion in this old thread has been about this application not working as expected, with the implication that it must first have been installed.
My opinion is that the new poster is a spammer. It's typical (on the forums I moderate) that the spammers pick a random sentence from an old post and use it as a reply to another thread. They're just trying to get their spammy URL visible to Google.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

dodedodo

Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:16 pm

You may wan't to check the "lock" slider at the side of your SD card. It took me 2 days to find out ._.

Pi Ma$ter

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:07 pm

I agree, the program Win32Diskimager is not the best. When I used it to reload Raspbian Wheezy back on my RPI 2 mini SD-card I used a Windows 7 machine, the problem with this was that it only left roughly 2MB usable space on the card after the Raspbian image was laid down.

startrek.steve

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:37 am

Great program Tobin,
works fine for me on Win7 32bit with a usb microsd card reader
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

Return to “Beginners”