methodicalmike

Multiple OS on Pi B+

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:07 pm

So, I am setting up my Pi B+ for the first time and I have Noobs on my 16GB SD card.. I know its going to ask which operating systems to install and that it is recommended that I install the first option.

1. What will happen if I select more than one, will I get to choose which one to run at start-up?

2. If I decide later that I want to remove an OS or add another one, what do I do?

Thanks so much!

DougieLawson

Re: Multiple OS on Pi B+

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:11 pm

methodicalmike wrote:So, I am setting up my Pi B+ for the first time and I have Noobs on my 16GB SD card.. I know its going to ask which operating systems to install and that it is recommended that I install the first option.

1. What will happen if I select more than one, will I get to choose which one to run at start-up?

2. If I decide later that I want to remove an OS or add another one, what do I do?

Thanks so much!
1. Once you select an OS to install with NOOBS and you click the "install" button, that's it, you're done forever. You can't add additional OS selections without re-writing everything on the card with the recovery system. You can't remove anything without re-writing everything on the card. There's no system to back-up one OS and put it back as part of the re-install.

2. Spend $8 get another SDCard.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

methodicalmike

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:31 pm

I guess I could reformat the card and install 2 or 3 if I want to, right?

If I had more than 1 on there, how do I switch between them?

DougieLawson

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:12 pm

methodicalmike wrote: If I had more than 1 on there, how do I switch between them?
NOOBS has a menu system to let you choose. There's also a scheme where you can tell it to boot a different partition before you shut the system down for a reboot (by writing to a special file), so you can write a program to control that.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

methodicalmike

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:09 am

So I set up my Pi and followed all the instructions and when I was promoted to select my OS, there were only 3 options. Rasbian, something to partition space, and scratch. I selected the recommended option. Did I do something wrong.

Also, I cannot get my wifi dongle to connect to my network. I tried booting with it and without it and plugging it in after, but still cant get on. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

procount

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:20 am

Noobs is now only supplied with Raspbian since the OS has become so big, hence your restricted options. If you connect it to the internet it will be able to install the others from the web. But you must use a cable because noobs does not support wifi.Alternatively download the older noobs v1.3.8 which still has all the other OSes included. Although a bit old they will work with the B&B+ but not Pi2B.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

methodicalmike

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:39 am

Ah, makes sense. Where can I get that older version from a reliable source?

Also, why does the new noobs not support wifi?

Im kinda stuck. I want to use the newest version, but I kinda need wifi on my Pi.

ghans

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:46 am

An older version might just refuse to boot. After you've
selected all OS you ever want to use , you should be able
to setup WiFi. Only NOOBS itself insists on a wired connection.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

procount

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:31 am

I think I meant v1.3.9 which is the last version with all OS suitable for B+. Find it at
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/ ... 014-07-08/ After installation when you get wifi working you can upgrade to the latest version. See many other posts on how to do this.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

procount

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:36 am

Noobs is a minimalist os installer, boot selection switcher and recovery program. To support ALL different wifi dongles with their associated wifi configurations would make it harder to maintain and more difficult to setup for a new user.

methodicalmike

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:27 pm

I think Ive been misunderstood.

I used noobs to install the recommended rasbian and in that OS I am having trouble setting up wifi. The Pi recognizes my dongle and I am able to find my home network and enter the password, but then I still have no internet access.

Should I have booted up noobs with a ethernet cable plugged in? That way all the other OS would have shown up?

drgeoff

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:24 pm

methodicalmike wrote: Should I have booted up noobs with a ethernet cable plugged in? That way all the other OS would have shown up?
Yes, if you wanted to install other OS(s) you should have booted with an ethernet cable between RPi and router.

methodicalmike

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:21 pm

So now I should remove the SD card, format it, then put noobs on it and install with an ethernet cable? Right?

Then my wifi dongle should work correctly?

drgeoff

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:53 pm

methodicalmike wrote:So now I should remove the SD card, format it, then put noobs on it and install with an ethernet cable? Right?

Then my wifi dongle should work correctly?
Wrong. A working WiFi dongle has no dependency on having installed other OS(s).

If you want the dongle working in Raspbian, start the Raspbian desktop and try the WiFi GUI app.

methodicalmike

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:29 pm

I went through and tried the wifi GUI app several times and still cant get on.

Like I said, it will show all available networks in the area, but I cant get on to any of them.

drgeoff

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:42 pm

You are entering a valid WiFi password? :)

methodicalmike

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Yes, it even briefly says "connected"

I also see something that says "4-way handshake"

Then it disconnects.

methodicalmike

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:42 pm

Bump.

Going to try again tonight. Wanted to see if I could get any more suggestions before I start.

methodicalmike

Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:05 am

Got the wifi dongle up and running.

I must have been doing something simple incorrectly.

Now I am not sure what to do with my Pi. lol.

ghans

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:40 am

• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Beginners”