Toontje
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Lightweight Antivirus for Pi? To catch Windows viruses.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi all!

I am looking for a lightweight antivirus for my Pi. I installed clamav, but a) the daemon brings my Pi to its knees because of the amount of memory it uses and b) clamscan, well basically the same, when it loads the AV database it starts to use up so much memory that the Pi starts to dedicate itself to swapping.

Any alternatives i can try? I am using the first generation B.

Thanks in advance,

Ton.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20431
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Why do you need an AntiVirus :?:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Toontje
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:45 pm

Is that important to answer the question?

Ok, I am using my Pi to sync a software repo with (all open source, don´t worry) Windows software. I want to get a nightly report of the latest updates on the repo changes and a AV scan result mailed to me.

Ton.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Sorry, I don't know of any better options than camav.

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:57 pm

I've heard people mention avast, ClamAV, and stuff like that. Never tried 'em though.

Worthwhile if you have a server or Windows-style files on the system, as you say.

Hopefully you will get some more useful responses, but not from some of the people on thsi forum....

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20431
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Toontje wrote:Is that important to answer the question?

Ok, I am using my Pi to sync a software repo with (all open source, don´t worry) Windows software. I want to get a nightly report of the latest updates on the repo changes and a AV scan result mailed to me.

Ton.
ClamAV afaiaa is about the best for Linux
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:48 pm

Other than inadvertently passing on Windoze viruses there is little point in AV on Linux IMO. I have never used AV in the better part of 10 years on Linux desktop. The number of Linux viruses can be counted on your fingers and toes, the number of successful linux virus on the fingers of one hand. Vs the wrong side of a million for windows. When you then reckon that the Pi uses an alien processor type, the non threat gets even smaller.

A bit like trying to detect unicorns on your lawn.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

java
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 am

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Years ago, when I ran a FidoNet system I used a Linux version of F-Prot, I have no idea of what the current status of this software is ...

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35784
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:01 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Why do you need an AntiVirus :?:
A better question would have been is this virus protection for Linux or virus scanning for Windows files that you're storing on a Linux server?

ClamAV can be installed with apt-get on Raspbian.

I'm not interested enough to look at whether it would need a RPI2 to run it. It was a pig when I had that and full disk encryption inflicted on my IBM laptop by TPTB.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10741
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:17 pm

There is another relevant question here for the OP...what version of Pi are you using? If you're using a B or B+, getting a Pi2B might solve the problem you're having with the existing software.

User avatar
emgi
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:08 pm
Location: NL

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:35 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:There is another relevant question here for the OP...what version of Pi are you using? If you're using a B or B+, getting a Pi2B might solve the problem you're having with the existing software.
OP wrote: I am using the first generation B.

Reading can sometimes be difficult. :lol:

Conderan
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:26 pm

pluggy wrote:A bit like trying to detect unicorns on your lawn.....
You think the No IR camera would be good for that?

Toontje
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Can we leave the discussion on WHY i want AV on my Pi (scanning Windows files hosted on my Linux drive) aslide and talk about WHICH AV if any is a good alternative for clamav which brings my Pi (1st generation B) to a halt because of its memory use?

I will check out what the status of F-Prot is nowadays.

Thanks,

Ton.

TheCJMan
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:25 am

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:13 am

I am so FRUSTRATED by Linux fans raving about NOT to use AV on Linux. Look I am a Linux FAN!!!! But am also a security aware person, I make use of a multi sub net network where I live with various firewall rules to prevent one subnet to talk to another.
There is no reason NOT to install AV on Linux, Its like saying "I am immune to XYZ Human virus, so I dont need to be careful" But you CAN still be a carrier and pass the virus on to someone else!
How many of us Linux people use Torrents (up and down), Why would you like to host nasty stuff and spread it just because you "cannot" get infected.

Be smart Just protect the "other idiots" that DO need av and CAN get infected. Place an AV on your Linux box and kill the virus before it gets to your girlfriend's windows PC.

Now that its out of my system - I tried to install Sophos on my RPI v3, but the script does not allow installation "for this ARM processor"
I would like to use my PI for:
  • KODI server for ALL on my network (including windows PCs)
  • Torrent client to download "stuff" to prevent others on the network to keep electrical expensive PCs on for downloads
  • GPIO manager for a Koi dam opening and closing valves and turning on pumps, and managing my Hydroponics garden
  • MAME game station
Ill try ClamAV and F-Prod

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35784
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 am

If you like your system going slow for no real benefit then run an AV.

ClamAV is a wonderful CPU soaker, it does nothing useful for Linux because it's only there to find Windows virii that exist on Linux filesystems. Your choice if you want to burn a CPU core hot to achieve absolutely zero benefit.

If you harden your system by removing things like passwordless sudo then the non-privileged user should not be able to breach Linux security. AV products then become a 100% useless comfort blanket.

I've been running Linux systems in various guises since 1995 and have never needed to run any form of AV.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12110
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:07 am

The only use I see for a (windows) anti virus program is when you dedicate your Linux system for something like a mail server, and want to scan the mails for windows virii.

The reason some Linux users react allergic to the question "which anti virus program do I need for Linux" is because the question is often asked by Noobs coming from the Windows world who think that because you absolutely need Antivirus on Windows that is also the case for Linux. If the question is asked as "which anti virus program do I need for Linux to scan for Windows virii" then you wont get such responses.

jahboater
Posts: 4596
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 am

Could you perhaps do the AV scan on the Windows PC before copying the files to the Pi?
I speculate (I have never used ClamAV) that a good Windows AV, regularly updated, would do a better job.
Especially as you are actually looking for Windows x86 viruses.

MarkR
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:09 pm

It's certainly worth swapping out the "First generation B" for a later model, especially if it's one of the 256Mb ones.

The first B's had 256M, which was then increased to 512M, then later the B+ was released also with 512M. Pi 2 and Pi3 have 1 gig of ram, which would certainly be better for your usage.

I imagine it's possible to tune ClamAV to use less memory too.

Unfortunately I think it's very unlikely that any commercial AV vendors (for Linux) offer products for Raspberry Pi (or ARM cores in general) - they are mostly focused on the Linux server market which is almost all x86 (x86-64 really).

Likewise, their Windows offerings are aimed at end-user desktops or servers, which all run Intel chips (Not the Windows 10 IOT build which runs on the Pi2 or Pi3)

gets.chomp
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Wed May 03, 2017 10:33 am

DougieLawson wrote: If you harden your system by removing things like passwordless sudo then the non-privileged user should not be able to breach Linux security.
How do you remove passwordless sudo for the Pi user ? How can you ask a password for sudo to Pi user please ?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23311
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Wed May 03, 2017 2:21 pm

There might be some useful stuff in this draft security page for the Pi.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... ecurity.md
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

gets.chomp
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks mate !

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12110
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Wed May 03, 2017 10:46 pm

jamesh wrote:There might be some useful stuff in this draft security page for the Pi.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... ecurity.md
but for the win, there is nothing about antiviri for linux in this security page...

gets.chomp
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu May 04, 2017 10:56 am

mahjongg wrote: but for the win, there is nothing about antiviri for linux in this security page...
What do you mean for the win lol ? I'm still looking for an active scanning solution to protect against webpage exploits such as javascript exploits etc (usually coming from pop up ads etc).

Yes there is no need for antivirus on Linux, we have all seen the movie, however there is indeed a ton of ads filled with scripted exploits out there and I'm really wondering how Linux in general, but mainly Raspbian are ready to counter this.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi? To catch Windows viruses.

Thu May 04, 2017 11:11 am

I'm still looking for an active scanning solution to protect against webpage exploits such as javascript exploits etc
I'm using the Fifth browser on PiCore, there's probably a Raspbian version of it.
http://fifth-browser.sourceforge.net/

I also use Chromium on Raspbian because it handles the JS that I am serving on my IoT gadgets :lol:
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

User avatar
kusti8
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: USA

Re: Lightweight Antivirus for Pi?

Thu May 04, 2017 11:12 am

gets.chomp wrote:
mahjongg wrote: but for the win, there is nothing about antiviri for linux in this security page...
What do you mean for the win lol ? I'm still looking for an active scanning solution to protect against webpage exploits such as javascript exploits etc (usually coming from pop up ads etc).

Yes there is no need for antivirus on Linux, we have all seen the movie, however there is indeed a ton of ads filled with scripted exploits out there and I'm really wondering how Linux in general, but mainly Raspbian are ready to counter this.
Use an adblocker like uBlock. Then you block the ads and it blocks and "exploits"
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Beginners”