perkas

Browse experience in RPI2

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi,
Someone who own a Rpi2 can tell me if you can surf web fluently (raspbian browser), and watch on-line videos ? (youtube.com, for example).

In RPI1 model B, browser was very slow, and couldn't watch online videos. Perhaps now it has change..

Thank you.

DougieLawson

Re: Browse experience in RPI2

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:51 pm

I did exactly that yesterday. Watched a video about connecting a HD44780 LCD to the GPIO pins that way.
You need epiphany-browser and you have to head to http://www.youtube.com/html5 to switch to HTML5 mode before you start.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gkreidl

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:21 pm

I'll be running some definite browser tests using different engines and browsers as soon as my RPi2 arrives (hopefully tomorrow) and I've got it to work with my HDD based installation.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

ktb

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:27 pm

perkas wrote:Hi,
Someone who own a Rpi2 can tell me if you can surf web fluently (raspbian browser), and watch on-line videos ? (youtube.com, for example).

In RPI1 model B, browser was very slow, and couldn't watch online videos. Perhaps now it has change..

Thank you.
The only problem you are likely to run into is not being able to stream some music videos, video-on-demand, and other videos that are delivered in encrypted streaming formats (or whatever other DRM is being used). There are ways around that, but it requires using tools outside Epiphany browser.

pluggy

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:19 pm

In my unscientific world, browsing the web with a Pi 2 is huge improvement on doing it on an old school Pi. My 7 year old desktop running Ubuntu still leaves it for dead though......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Mequa

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:37 am

Web browsing is fairly good on Raspberry Pi 2 B for a low-end mobile-class device, comparable to a budget tablet. I noticed a few web pages struggle in Web / Epiphany.

YouTube will play in Web / Epiphany, but not in HD (it appears to be in 240p) and I also noticed some tearing. Full-screen videos slowed right down when the toolbar was visible. Future optimisations to Web, and the postponed Wayland-based desktop, might improve performance in the future.

Maybe Kodi / XBMC will include a compatible YouTube plug-in for Raspberry Pi 2 soon, including in future releases of OpenELEC, but also on Raspbian. The XBMC YouTube plug-in was much too slow on the original RPi. That would allow YouTube videos to be browsed and watched in HD over HDMI.

perkas

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:00 am

Ok. Thank you for your valuable test. ;)
There is to wait for updates to see the improvements... I hope that we could watch streaming videos outside kodi..

miranda666

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:00 pm

My experience with Epiphany and the Raspberry Pi 2 is pretty good. But I have to say, I have not been able to play full screen videos in HTML5 players.

For example, on YouTube, I get to play videos smoothly, but if I try to go to full screen, the video slows down and choppy.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:11 pm

miranda666 wrote:My experience with Epiphany and the Raspberry Pi 2 is pretty good. But I have to say, I have not been able to play full screen videos in HTML5 players.

For example, on YouTube, I get to play videos smoothly, but if I try to go to full screen, the video slows down and choppy.
There is no Hardware Acceleration in Epiphany or for that in matter Midori, IceWeasel or Chromium browsers..

The best way to have a good experience with watching Youtube and other similar sites is to use kweb browser

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40860
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

gkreidl

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:33 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
miranda666 wrote:My experience with Epiphany and the Raspberry Pi 2 is pretty good. But I have to say, I have not been able to play full screen videos in HTML5 players.

There is no Hardware Acceleration in Epiphany or for that in matter Midori, IceWeasel or Chromium browsers..

The best way to have a good experience with watching Youtube and other similar sites is to use kweb browser

Not completely true. There is HW acceleration in Epiphany (and kweb3) using gstreamer-omx, but because of the buffering required (copying back into the framebuffer) it's much slower than omxplayer, for example. It's good enough to play an embedded video, but not fast enough to play full screen.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:38 pm

gkreidl wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Not completely true. There is HW acceleration in Epiphany (and kweb3) using gstreamer-omx, but because of the buffering required (copying back into the framebuffer) it's much slower than omxplayer, for example. It's good enough to play an embedded video, but not fast enough to play full screen.
Thank you for correction, learn something new every day :D

gkreidl

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:43 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Thank you for correction, learn something new every day :D
me too :-)

fruitoftheloom

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:48 pm

gkreidl wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: Thank you for correction, learn something new every day :D
me too :-)
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/releas ... 1.0.0.html

So not natively supported but uses a plugin......

gkreidl

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:56 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/releas ... 1.0.0.html

So not natively supported but uses a plugin......
I'm using that gstreamer-plugin myself in my satserver application, not to display video but for real time transcoding.
The modified webkit3 engine delivered by the Foundation also uses it.

miranda666

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:31 pm

So the bottom line is, there is no way to view videos in full screen from a HTML5 player?

gkreidl

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:52 pm

miranda666 wrote:So the bottom line is, there is no way to view videos in full screen from a HTML5 player?
No, if you use kweb, you can run omxplayerGUI to play the video fullscreen (in a higher resolution than the embedded video).

khg003

Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 am

Hello,

could you be so kind and tell me, what is to do to activate omxplayerGUI in kweb? Because yesterday I installed the minimal kiosk browser 1.6.8 and the omxplayer was already installed, but if i tried to play a youtube video, it was stuttering very heavy.

So do I have to adapt or configure the kweb or omxplayer in a special way?

Many thanks for your feedback!!

KH
RPi: Mod. 2B / Mod. 3B / Mod. 4B
OS: Raspbian Buster / Recalbox OS / Retropie / OSMC / Android

startrek.steve

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:12 am

I bought a Pi2 specifically to see if it could be used as a full desktop pc. I run get_iplayer on it, along with Deluge torrent client, at the same time as using Iceweasel as my main browsing - I found this faster for general browsing over all the other browsers, apart from viewing videos. It seems pretty nippy using Calibre for my Ebook collection and Icedove (Thunderbird variant) for my email. Ram useage is never excessive and cpu the same, its obviously not going to blow a quad core pc into the weeds, but for everyday useage I could be quite happy with this setup. I have a Pi1 (my first one) and I never even use the GUI on that, hardly useable at all, I boot straight to terminal and multi-task using the screen command. Its fine for that useage. Ocaisionally use Rtorrent on it without it breaking into a sweat, the only bottleneck is the USB speed really.
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:54 am

khg003 wrote:Hello,

could you be so kind and tell me, what is to do to activate omxplayerGUI in kweb? Because yesterday I installed the minimal kiosk browser 1.6.8 and the omxplayer was already installed, but if i tried to play a youtube video, it was stuttering very heavy.

KH
Did you read the PDF Manual :?:

gkreidl

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:04 am

khg003 wrote:Hello,

KH
You need a working version of youtube-dl for that. There are two different way to get a working version (described in the manual). The easiest way (and youtube-dl runs much faster this way) is to use the scripts that are installed with kweb. Open a terminal an run:
ginstall-ytdl
To update it at a later time run:
update-ytdl
(should be done at least once a week).

The recommended way to use it with youtube (or about 150 other websites), is to visit the video page with Javascript disabled (so it doesn't start to play in the browser). Then click the "play" button in the toolbar. A dew seconds later, omxplayerGUI will open and start playing the video.
Because some things have changed recently, you will have to do the following:
Open settings page, scroll down to the bottom and in the field "youtube_dl_options" enter:
-f
best
(two lines), and click "save". Command execution (right most button) must be enabled, before you do this,
Otherwise you may get a video without sound.
I'll make that the default in the nest release.

Return to “Beginners”