Ancle

How to install Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi 2B?

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:17 am

I already bought a Raspberry Pi 2B. I want to install Windows 10. How to do this? Thank you!

ktb

Re: How to install Windows 10 on Raspberry Pi 2B?

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:47 am

I think the best you can do for now is to sign up for the developer program if you're interested.

http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/r ... pi2support
We are excited about our partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation and delivering a version of Windows 10 that supports Raspberry Pi 2, and we will be sharing more details about our Windows 10 plans for IoT in the coming months.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:51 am

Ancle wrote:I already bought a Raspberry Pi 2B. I want to install Windows 10. How to do this? Thank you!
Unfortunately you have been mislead by all the HYPE

Windows 10 full desktop version will not be available anytime soon aka son of Windows RT

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/ ... pi2support

What M$ is offering is the Windows 10 NT Kernel based development platform for developing "Internet of Things" IoT applications

This is a Microsoft inititive and the link above has the details ;)
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Randolph

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi All
I have installed the windows 10 in virtualbox and tested it with a minimum of resources ... Its seems to work fine for surfing and office software that MS has put available for free .
. Its an online version ... And it works fantastic .... Here is my idea how to place the ms windows 10 dev on the sd card ... First you have to make a bootable partition on the sd card and activate it ... Remember when you format the card format it for fat 32. You have to place the sd card on a USB adapter and use a utility like northon ghost to make an image of windows 10 from virtualbox and then transfer that image to the sd card ... Then you good to go

topguy

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:18 pm

I don't believe Virtualbox has support for virtualisation of ARM CPUs so I'm guessing you have installed the technical preview of Windows 10 for Intel CPU's.

So to put it bluntly, there is not a snowballs chance in hell for that version of Windows 10 *ever* to work on a Raspberry Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Randolph wrote:Hi All
I have installed the windows 10 in virtualbox and tested it with a minimum of resources ... Its seems to work fine for surfing and office software that MS has put available for free .
. Its an online version ... And it works fantastic .... Here is my idea how to place the ms windows 10 dev on the sd card ... First you have to make a bootable partition on the sd card and activate it ... Remember when you format the card format it for fat 32. You have to place the sd card on a USB adapter and use a utility like northon ghost to make an image of windows 10 from virtualbox and then transfer that image to the sd card ... Then you good to go
QEMU or ExaGear are the only 2 emulators which will run x86-32 code, albeit painfully slow on the RPi

So can you explain how you installed VirtualBox in Raspbian or ArchArm !

Regards https://office.live.com that can be accessed with Epiphany Browser in Raspbian OS
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

user007

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:41 pm

Randolph wrote:Hi All
The virtual machine Windows 10 TechPreview version could be converted to an iso file and placed on USB drive - it works fine on Intel x86 computer (even very slow from USB, it is still TechPreview version) however we have to wait for an ARM architecture Windows 10 version for RPI2 from Microsoft.

kjellhei

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 am

there should be a sticky about w10IOT

if you want full windows, there will be some intel atom hdmi-dongle pc's released later this year.

eriktheitalian

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 am

Forum needs "sticky windows 10 explain post". Or FAQ.
"FAQ windows 10" good topic name.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

ThomasS

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:19 pm

eriktheitalian wrote:Forum needs "sticky windows 10 explain post". Or FAQ.
"FAQ windows 10" good topic name.
Exactly! Quite a few people seem to be under the misconception that this is full Windows 10 with desktop.
ThomasS

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Windows 10 IoT Core has its own Forum Section under Programming

viewforum.php?f=105

...also see https://www.raspberrypi.org/windows-10-for-iot/

yforget

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:37 pm

I think it's available now: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/30/wind ... erry-pi-2/

Anybody had a chance to try it?

pranishk

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:11 pm

I've tried it :) - I'd recommend you take a look at the project samples on www.windowsondevices.com to get a feel for some of the projects that you can build today. My personal favorite is the robot kit (http://www.hackster.io/windowsiot/robot-kit).

Let us know if you have any questions!

Pranish Kumar (pranishk@microsoft.com)
Microsoft Corporation

mfraiss

Sat May 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi guys, I've just finished my tutorial to install the windows 10 iot version on a Raspberry Pi:

https://mariofraiss.wordpress.com/2015/ ... vironment/

Let me know, what you think about it.

Greetings,
MF

DAFlippers

Tue May 05, 2015 10:53 am

Feedback at https://connect.microsoft.com/windowsem ... T/Feedback.

The image should be released as an image file and not rely on a Win 10 installation to deploy the image.

A few gotchas like you can't shutdown - always restarts and if you change the computer name you need add to trusted hosts on Windows PC but the main issue, in my opinion, are startup and shutdown times as per my feedback.

David

mfraiss

Tue May 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi Guys,

To simplify the process of installing Windows 10 IoT on your Raspberry Devices I just released an Alpha version of my Raspberry Pi SD-Formatter for Windows 10.

Windows 10 - SD Formatter for Raspberry Pi
You can download it here:
http://bit.ly/1IdBdij

I appreciate your feedback to this very early stage of that tool, so let me know what you think.

Greetings,

RamblingGeek

Wed May 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi All,

I have put together a few video's of getting started with Windows 10 and the Pi 2.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Y3hD3sNpyJ

Please let me know yours thoughts and what else you may wish to see.

Thanks

dannykeighobadi

Thu May 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Guys, are Microsoft actually going to release a full version of Windows 10 after people have finished developing etc? Because that's what I heard. Thanks.

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 14, 2015 8:06 pm

dannykeighobadi wrote:Guys, are Microsoft actually going to release a full version of Windows 10 after people have finished developing etc? Because that's what I heard. Thanks.
Well it is not on the Microsoft Roadmap

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... 0-editions

Therefore where is the evidence of your statement ?

kusti8

Thu May 14, 2015 10:59 pm

dannykeighobadi wrote:Guys, are Microsoft actually going to release a full version of Windows 10 after people have finished developing etc? Because that's what I heard. Thanks.

Windows 10 IoT took a while for it to come out, why would Microsoft want to make a full version, which would probably be slow, take a while to come out, and not the top priority.

What's so bad about Linux?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

yaya

Tue May 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Try to use the kinnect in a linux distro, or to handle your phone using bluetooth with oFono and PulseAudio, you will see why we are waiting for a stable Windows10 Core
kusti8 wrote:

Windows 10 IoT took a while for it to come out, why would Microsoft want to make a full version, which would probably be slow, take a while to come out, and not the top priority.

What's so bad about Linux?

PieterN

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:33 am

Hi guys,

After struggling somewhat and some online searching I created a write up on how to install Win 10 IoT from Windows 7 here based on what worked for me.

http://www.infinitecurious.com/install- ... windows-7/

Hope it helps!

satarassh

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:05 pm

@PieterN This solution worked for me, windows starts booting and finnishes loading but then only black screen for ever. Tried unplugging raspi2 and plug it back in without success.

Any clues would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”