owlhere

Is my Pi a dud?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:55 am

Received my Pi and power plug this morning. Downloaded Debian and flashed an SD card after following instructions. Hooked up HDMI, keyboard, mouse, plugged it in and... nothing.

There is a red light on the board but no output through HDMI. Tried 2 cables and two monitors, any ideas?

JeremyF

Re: Is mu Pi a dud?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:03 pm

If no green light at all, then the SD card was not even read.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

nick.mccloud

Re: Is mu Pi a dud?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:23 pm

The most common issue is with the power supply.

As above, if you can't see the green LED flashing even a tiny bit, then either the Pi has enough power to light the Red LED and nothing else or the card isn't talking to the Pi.

The monitor/display is less often an issue.

Can you try an alternative card and/or power supply?

johnbeetem

Re: Is my Pi a dud?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Best place to start is the RasPi Troubleshooting wiki: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting and "Power Supply Problems": http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware#Power_Supply_Problems.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Is my Pi a dud?

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:27 pm

To answer the Original Posters question.
No almost certainly your PI is not "a dud", almost certainly there is something wrong with your setup.

If the green light doesn't blink no data is being read from the card, so either the card is bad, or it has the wrong contents, or the PI doesn't have a stable power supply.

If no data can be read from the card nothing at all happens, nothing will be displayed on screen!

Return to “Beginners”