jamkirbs

Stream over cmd line

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:40 am

good day! I just wondered if i can video stream using the terminal emulator? You know, having the stream link then playing it through the cmd line with the help of omxplayer? Thanks!

ghans

Re: Stream over cmd line

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 am

You cannot use commandline videoplayers over SSH. You need a real display connected to the Pi
to watch the video.

Otherwise there is libcaca , but i don't know who would seriously consider using that.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

topguy

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:46 am

- omxplayer will only show a video image on the display connected to the Pi.

- A terminal emulator like Putty can only show text.

- The application mplayer can show video as text (ascii-art), it looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzDmoO5l4Q

jamkirbs

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:34 am

Thats not what i meant. I mean how to video stream to my rpi by typing commands with the emulator? The terminal emulator will use omxplayer to dsplay the video.

gkreidl

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:58 am

jamkirbs wrote:Thats not what i meant. I mean how to video stream to my rpi by typing commands with the emulator? The terminal emulator will use omxplayer to dsplay the video.
omxplayer URL
where URL can be any file path ( /home/pi/myvideo.mkv, for example) or network URL pointing to a video stream.
To play a youtube video, for example, run
youtube-dl -g URL (of video website)
first. Copy the output and then run
omxplayer 'output'
(must be set within quotes!)
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Beginners”