Aonir

I cant get my laptop set up

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:31 pm

i bought a raspberry pi b+ but i don't have a hdmi screen. i have tried using guides on the internet but i can't get it connected to my laptop as screen.

i have a pre installed micro sd with raspbian wheezy, but unfortunately windows 8 has no drivers for sd cards.

fruitoftheloom

Re: I cant get my laptop set up

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Aonir wrote:i bought a raspberry pi b+ but i don't have a hdmi screen. i have tried using guides on the internet but i can't get it connected to my laptop as screen.

i have a pre installed micro sd with raspbian wheezy, but unfortunately windows 8 has no drivers for sd cards.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... /README.md
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Mark_T

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:03 pm

You need a monitor, not a laptop (I've not met a laptop that acts as a monitor AFAIK -
plenty that can drive an external monitor, but not emulate one.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Mark_T wrote:You need a monitor, not a laptop (I've not met a laptop that acts as a monitor AFAIK -
plenty that can drive an external monitor, but not emulate one.
Actually, I am told that some (high-end, read: expensive) laptops these days do have HDMI *input* - and can thus be used as a monitor for the Pi. Maybe the OP has one of these…?

But, to get back to topic, there have been about 7,873,128 threads on these forums about how to setup and run a Pi entirely headless (that is, without ever having/using a directly connected keyboard/video/mouse). It can be done, but it is painful, and definitely not for the squeamish/newbie. Best advice for the OP is to beg/borrow/steal the necessary hardware to get things running initially; once you've got things working, then you can go headless from there. But it is tough to do it cold turkey from the start. Trust me; I know what I'm speaking of. Basically, if anything goes wrong, you're going to be scratching your head wondering what's happening.

Second best advice is to find one of the threads about it, and try to follow it - hoping nothing goes wrong.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

lazarus78

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:06 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Actually, I am told that some (high-end, read: expensive) laptops these days do have HDMI *input* - and can thus be used as a monitor for the Pi. Maybe the OP has one of these…?

But, to get back to topic, there have been about 7,873,128 threads on these forums about how to setup and run a Pi entirely headless (that is, without ever having/using a directly connected keyboard/video/mouse). It can be done, but it is painful, and definitely not for the squeamish/newbie. Best advice for the OP is to beg/borrow/steal the necessary hardware to get things running initially; once you've got things working, then you can go headless from there. But it is tough to do it cold turkey from the start. Trust me; I know what I'm speaking of. Basically, if anything goes wrong, you're going to be scratching your head wondering what's happening.

Second best advice is to find one of the threads about it, and try to follow it - hoping nothing goes wrong.
Not sure how you do it, but making My RPi headless was rather easy.

Plug in a network cable, let DHCP give it an address, then use a network scanner on your computer to find it's IP and SSH to it.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Well... It's easy if you use a direct Raspbian (or--probably--a number of the other OSes) build. Not so much if you use NOOBS.

Aonir

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:04 pm

i succeeded in entering the pi through ssh. i forgot to mention that i have a adafruit pitft screen, and i'm trying te get that set up.

installing was succesful but i have a gray screen. until i enter

Code: Select all

framebuffer=/dev/fb1 startx &
through ssh, which resets after reboot.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:17 pm

sudo -i
cd /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
nano 99-fbdev.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Device"  
  Identifier "myfb"
  Driver "fbdev"
  Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
EndSection
#save it
exit

More details here: https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/Framebuffer-use
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Aonir

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:14 am

i have it working now thx

Return to “Beginners”