itimpi

Re: Seriously .. where to find power supply?

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:38 am

gruvin wrote:"It has been reported by a number of users that Apple iPhone and iPad USB power supplies are inadequate for powering the R-Pi. "
I have no idea why it should say that! The iPhone power adapters are a high quality 1A adapter, and the iPad a 2A one. I know of at lot of people who are successfully using iPhone adapters for their Pi without any signs of stability issues due to insufficient power. In fact looking at the list of verified power adapters at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... r_Adapters the iPhone and iPad ones are listed.

The only thing I can think of is those who have bought a cheap power adapter off eBay that claims to be iPhone compatible as I have seen that many of those do not supply the 1A a genuine Apple adapter provides.

andyl

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:02 am

gruvin wrote:
itimpi wrote:I am surprised that people seem to have trouble getting micro USB charging capability. A powered hub with a micro USB cable (possibly the Y variant in some cases) should do ...
The Rasp-Pi Getting Started guide explicitly states that a powered hub will NOT suffice. (500mA current limit beignet he reason, I suppose.)
Well some will, some won't. I am running from a D-Link powered hub at the moment.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 am

itimpi wrote:
gruvin wrote:"It has been reported by a number of users that Apple iPhone and iPad USB power supplies are inadequate for powering the R-Pi. "
I have no idea why it should say that!
My thought is that they are having problems with their USB cable. Apple chargers probably do not ship with a micro USB cable since the iPad/iPhone plug is proprietary, so they would have to source one elsewhere.

andyl

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 am

gruvin wrote:Doh. Lysdexia strikes again. TP1 is +5V, TP2 is GND (I stated above and enacted the opposite). So in fact, I just smoked my R-Pi.

Al this for the lack of a commonly available power connector. Far out. :shock:

Stuffed if I know how the target "3rd world" folks are going to get on. I for one give up. Back to real computers for me.
What makes you think the third world is the target market? The Foundation is aiming the device at UK kids.

Secondly I've just done a few google searches. Micro USB "New Zealand" brings up some cheap USB to Micro USB cables - about NZ$ 4. Adding power to the search criteria it took me seconds to find http://www.expansys.co.nz/htc-desire-ne ... 1a-205639/

So it seems that micro-USB is far from unknown where you are.

johnaln

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:52 pm

I have found the official samsung galaxy s2 power supply works perfect, rated output of 5V --- 0.7A, model: ETA0U10UBE

dashby

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:52 pm

That's the power supply I have but when I try to connect my WiFi adapter it just won't power up with it. I will try to find a dongle to connect to the internet but if that doesn't work then the Pi will be back in it's box.

andyl

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:27 pm

dashby wrote:That's the power supply I have but when I try to connect my WiFi adapter it just won't power up with it. I will try to find a dongle to connect to the internet but if that doesn't work then the Pi will be back in it's box.
Well it isn't beefy enough to power all of the Raspi, WiFi, and maybe keyboard. If you had a powered hub for the peripherals things should work. Otherwise you could try a wired network.

dashby

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:19 pm

I have tried a powered hub, the WiFi adapter still does not power up

gruvin

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 am

mahjongg wrote:
Obviously you power it with the same voltage as you would normally, with 5V. Just like the pinheader documentation (pin 2 = 5V and pin 6 = GND) and numerous sources about TP1 and TP2 would tell you.
Nothing is "obvious" with this board at all. Don't be so arrogant.

gruvin

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 am

Dilligaf wrote: Yes, it's 5 volts, but double check polarity. If I remember correctly TP1 is positive (5V) and TP2 is negative (ground)
You are correct. The big "ground plane" looking copper pad of TP1 is in fact a +5 Volts, while the single, isolated looking TP2 point is in fact ground. Assumptions to the contrary resulted in me blowing the thing up completely.

("Obvious" indeed. :roll: )

indisposed

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:25 am

andyl wrote:
gruvin wrote:Doh. Lysdexia strikes again. TP1 is +5V, TP2 is GND (I stated above and enacted the opposite). So in fact, I just smoked my R-Pi.

Al this for the lack of a commonly available power connector. Far out. :shock:

Stuffed if I know how the target "3rd world" folks are going to get on. I for one give up. Back to real computers for me.
What makes you think the third world is the target market? The Foundation is aiming the device at UK kids.

Secondly I've just done a few google searches. Micro USB "New Zealand" brings up some cheap USB to Micro USB cables - about NZ$ 4. Adding power to the search criteria it took me seconds to find http://www.expansys.co.nz/htc-desire-ne ... 1a-205639/

So it seems that micro-USB is far from unknown where you are.
unfortunately your post illustrates part of the problem. the plug is an EU one, and every site ive seen selling adapters and such has been the same, even if theyre .nz domains, theyre usually aggregate webmall type sites, and dont cater to nz specifically.

gruvin

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 pm

[re previous reply] Took the words right out my fingers. :-) (Zero stock available at that link, too.) They really don't exist in any level of popularity over here -- if at all. Those that seem to exist, in fact do not have sufficient power output, being typically rated only 500mA max -- and they cost crazy prices, due to being trumped-up cell phone accessories, in most cases.

Let's also remember that the USB standard maximum rating for 5V supply is 500mA in the first place. So AFAIC, one can only conclude that using a USB-any-size connector for 750mA supply simply doesn't make much sense. Nothing a soldering iron wont fix though -- when done right. E'hem! :P (I later realised that soldering across the input decoupling capacitor would have been a much smarter idea than to TP1/2. Wish I hadn't been so impatient.)

Re the, "3rd world target" thing ... my mistake if I got that wrong. It's what I interpreted (in addition to the local UK-kid market) from a couple of foundation member videos I watched. There's also been many statements about global distribution in general, as well as at least an underlying feeling of wanting to get a computer into the hands of kids everywhere, who could otherwise not afford them -- not just in the UK, or so I believed. I've also read comments from others about how developing nations could make use of such an affordable computing platform for practical business operations, etc. So whether intended or not, I think the target market will somewhat take on a life of its own -- assuming stock levels can be ramped up quick enough.

At the end of the day, the Rasp'Pi is a great idea, with a great vision and obvious capital backing behind it -- and comes to us at an incredible price. I am certainly NOT complaining. I think it's brilliant and I'm sure it can only get better from here. Just wish I hadn't blown mine up before I got to see it in action. Back to the end of the waiting list I go. *sigh*

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:02 pm

gruvin wrote:Let's also remember that the USB standard maximum rating for 5V supply is 500mA in the first place. So AFAIC, one can only conclude that using a USB-any-size connector for 750mA supply simply doesn't make much sense.
A USB carrying data is limited to 500mA, but a dedicated charger is not. See the Wikipedia USB page (or the USB spec.)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:21 pm

gruvin wrote:[re previous reply] Took the words right out my fingers. :-) (Zero stock available at that link, too.) They really don't exist in any level of popularity over here -- if at all. Those that seem to exist, in fact do not have sufficient power output, being typically rated only 500mA max -- and they cost crazy prices, due to being trumped-up cell phone accessories, in most cases.

Let's also remember that the USB standard maximum rating for 5V supply is 500mA in the first place. So AFAIC, one can only conclude that using a USB-any-size connector for 750mA supply simply doesn't make much sense. Nothing a soldering iron wont fix though -- when done right. E'hem! :P (I later realised that soldering across the input decoupling capacitor would have been a much smarter idea than to TP1/2. Wish I hadn't been so impatient.)

Re the, "3rd world target" thing ... my mistake if I got that wrong. It's what I interpreted (in addition to the local UK-kid market) from a couple of foundation member videos I watched. There's also been many statements about global distribution in general, as well as at least an underlying feeling of wanting to get a computer into the hands of kids everywhere, who could otherwise not afford them -- not just in the UK, or so I believed. I've also read comments from others about how developing nations could make use of such an affordable computing platform for practical business operations, etc. So whether intended or not, I think the target market will somewhat take on a life of its own -- assuming stock levels can be ramped up quick enough.

At the end of the day, the Rasp'Pi is a great idea, with a great vision and obvious capital backing behind it -- and comes to us at an incredible price. I am certainly NOT complaining. I think it's brilliant and I'm sure it can only get better from here. Just wish I hadn't blown mine up before I got to see it in action. Back to the end of the waiting list I go. *sigh*

I

The Micro USB connector used on the Raspi is the STANDARD small connector for USB (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_USB# ... connectors). It's used on every Smartphone currently released in the EU and has been for a few years. It's now the most common small USB connector and leads are easily available worldwide. The current capacity is up to 5A for charging applications.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gruvin

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:41 am

jamesh wrote: The Micro USB connector used on the Raspi is the STANDARD small connector for USB (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_USB# ... connectors). It's used on every Smartphone currently released in the EU and has been for a few years. It's now the most common small USB connector and leads are easily available worldwide. The current capacity is up to 5A for charging applications.
*sigh*

Well, you believe what you want to believe. I'll believe what I want to believe. I can't compete with someone who doesn't want to look at the facts or listen to others.

Have a nice day.

TideMan

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:14 am

Like Gruvin, I'm a Kiwi.
I get my RP tomorrow yeeehaaa!!
I've been looking at the peripherals I need and thought I'd just get a USB power supply and a USB A male to USB micro B male cable as per this:
http://www.globalpc.co.nz/Computers/Cab ... 08266.aspx

Am I mistaken?
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance.
You must stir it and stump it and blow your own trumpet, or trust me you haven't a chance.
Ruddigore, G&S

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:53 am

TideMan wrote:Like Gruvin, I'm a Kiwi.
I get my RP tomorrow yeeehaaa!!
I've been looking at the peripherals I need and thought I'd just get a USB power supply and a USB A male to USB micro B male cable as per this:
http://www.globalpc.co.nz/Computers/Cab ... 08266.aspx

Am I mistaken?
In fact yes you happen to be!
This is a USB-3 cable, thus unlike a normal USB-2 cable it has a special version of a micro-USB connector for the extra wires that an USB-3 cable has.

Look up the USB article on the english Wikipedia if you need to know more, or go here:
http://www.gizmag.com/standard-micro-us ... ope/12108/
to see a picture of how a micro-USB connector looks like.

jamesh

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:22 am

gruvin wrote:
jamesh wrote: The Micro USB connector used on the Raspi is the STANDARD small connector for USB (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_USB# ... connectors). It's used on every Smartphone currently released in the EU and has been for a few years. It's now the most common small USB connector and leads are easily available worldwide. The current capacity is up to 5A for charging applications.
*sigh*

Well, you believe what you want to believe. I'll believe what I want to believe. I can't compete with someone who doesn't want to look at the facts or listen to others.

Have a nice day.
Can I suggest that instead of being snarky, you actually read up on this. There is nothing in my post that is wrong. Unless you are happy believing what YOU want to believe, even though you are in fact wrong. The fact you don't have one of these cables does not mean no-one else does....

To save you time bothering to look it up: Mini USB is a defacto standard that became very popular, but was never officially ratified (IIRC). Everyone has Mini-USB connector cables. However, now that Micro-USB is the ratified standard it has become more popular, and has overtaken mini-USB on new product. This has been helped along by the EU mandating micro-USB as the standard charging connector for Smartphones (this was 3 years ago). I work on prototype phones - they ALL have micro-USB. Micro-USB is also a more robust plug that can support higher current and more insertions than mini-USB.

From the WIkipedia article:

In addition, on 22 October 2009 the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has also announced that it had embraced micro-USB as the Universal Charger Solution its "energy-efficient one-charger-fits-all new mobile phone solution", and added: "Based on the Micro-USB interface, UCS chargers will also include a 4-star or higher efficiency rating—up to three times more energy-efficient than an unrated charger"
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

bobc

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:16 am

I think we are talking at cross-purposes here. Yes micro USB is an official USB standard, and there is an EU policy mandating the use of micro USB for charging smartphones.

However, paper standards and implementation are different things. In the EU smartphones are shipping with micro USB, but there is no requirement any where else for there to be readily available micro USB chargers with the right mains plug for the local supply. Eventually perhaps, micro-USB will take over the planet and it becomes a no brainer.

In the meantime though, there will be people who have difficultly finding a suitable micro USB charger in their country. They need a practical solution, repeatedly saying "but it's a standard!" doesn't help them.

itimpi

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 am

It is one of these things that one is going to have difficulty getting agreement on! When I look around my house I have several micro USB chargers, but NO min-USB ones, although I also have some that use the full-size USB.

THere are also devices such as Kindles and many tablets that use Micro-USB as their standard so they are becoming increasingly common. In addition chargers (such as the Apple ones) where the which have a physically separate USB cable that plugs into the charger can easily be used with the purchase of an inexpensive USB->micro-USB cable. Also mini->micro USB adapters are easy to get if you aready have a mini-USB charger.

Since I have never seen mini-USB as being that common (around here at least) and it is not a ratified standard it does seem that if you are going to go for a USB based standard then micro-USB was probably the best one to pick.

jamesh

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:17 pm

bobc wrote:I think we are talking at cross-purposes here. Yes micro USB is an official USB standard, and there is an EU policy mandating the use of micro USB for charging smartphones.

However, paper standards and implementation are different things. In the EU smartphones are shipping with micro USB, but there is no requirement any where else for there to be readily available micro USB chargers with the right mains plug for the local supply. Eventually perhaps, micro-USB will take over the planet and it becomes a no brainer.

In the meantime though, there will be people who have difficultly finding a suitable micro USB charger in their country. They need a practical solution, repeatedly saying "but it's a standard!" doesn't help them.
There will be people all over who will have difficulty WHATEVER the connector chosen. So the best choice would be whatever the current standard is. Although there is no citation, this phrase on Wikipedia is telling and matches up with my experience (and that's not just in the EU)...

"As of 30 January 2009 Micro-USB has been accepted and is being used by almost all cell phone manufacturers as the standard charging port (including Hewlett-Packard, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Research In Motion, Samsung, Sony Ericsson) in most of the world."

Note that is from over 3 years ago. I find it amazing there are places in the first world where Micro-USB is not seemingly available.

EDIT : 1 minutes of searching on NZ sites gives me this..( I believe the OP was in NZ, sorry if not)

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... mID=402515

tech_monkey

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:25 pm

I live in Spain. I have about 10 mobile phone chargers, only 2 of them are micro usb and none of them are suitable for the PI. What I do have is a USB 5V 1A mains plug and use a usb to micro USB cable which came with an old Samsung phone.
This micro USB is far from standard my Android tablet uses a barrel type connector for charging. And my mobile phone uses something else.
But I do agree its not rocket science to be able to get something that works. The easiest thing is to get a 5V USB mains adapter, my local DIY shop even sells them either with a single USB port rated at 1A or with 4 USB ports rated at 2A. Most people seem to have a usb to mini usb cable and there are adapters available on Amazon or ebay to convert mini to micro or whatever.
Last edited by tech_monkey on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.casatech.eu

Mr.Dave

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:32 pm

My Nokia Lumia 710 charger is Micro USB 5v 1200mA and should be ideal for the Pi when it arrives

bobc

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:26 pm

jamesh wrote:
bobc wrote:I think we are talking at cross-purposes here. Yes micro USB is an official USB standard, and there is an EU policy mandating the use of micro USB for charging smartphones.

There will be people all over who will have difficulty WHATEVER the connector chosen. So the best choice would be whatever the current standard is. Although there is no citation, this phrase on Wikipedia is telling and matches up with my experience (and that's not just in the EU)...

"As of 30 January 2009 Micro-USB has been accepted and is being used by almost all cell phone manufacturers as the standard charging port (including Hewlett-Packard, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Research In Motion, Samsung, Sony Ericsson) in most of the world."

Note that is from over 3 years ago. I find it amazing there are places in the first world where Micro-USB is not seemingly available.
"But it's a standard!!"

QED.

EDIT : 1 minutes of searching on NZ sites gives me this..( I believe the OP was in NZ, sorry if not)

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... mID=402515
That's a cable, not a USB charger.

The UN recognises over 190 countires, I hope you are going to list purchasing URLs for all of them.

Return to “Beginners”