jamkirbs

Rpi as web browser

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Good day! I'm just new with this rpi. I just wondered if i can do this rpi to become a plain web browser? I will be use as a computer just for browsing. How it can be? Is there anything i need to close to speed up my pi as a web browser?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Rpi as web browser

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:42 pm

jamkirbs wrote:Good day! I'm just new with this rpi. I just wondered if i can do this rpi to become a plain web browser? I will be use as a computer just for browsing. How it can be? Is there anything i need to close to speed up my pi as a web browser?
kweb web browser is about as good as it will get http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=40860 ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

jamkirbs

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:50 pm

Well thank you for the link! I just have to install it, am i correct? This would be a good help!

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:06 pm

jamkirbs wrote:Well thank you for the link! I just have to install it, am i correct? This would be a good help!
In the post I linked to you can download the kweb manual in PDF format
Retired disgracefully.....

jamkirbs

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Sorry i didnt notice the manual included in the most. By the way, thank you very much!

jamkirbs

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 am

By the way, after installing kweb, can i still use my rpi to play movies right from my usb stick?

ghans

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:19 am

That might depend on how you did it before the installation of kweb ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jamkirbs

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:41 am

ghans wrote:That might depend on how you did it before the installation of kweb ...

ghans
What should i need to do? Thanks.

kusti8

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 am

jamkirbs wrote:
ghans wrote:That might depend on how you did it before the installation of kweb ...

ghans
What should i need to do? Thanks.
For SD videos, use omxplayer. It's command line and you can google it on how to use it. For hd videos, well, they won't play well on the pi so I find a way to convert them to SD.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

gkreidl

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 am

kusti8 wrote: For SD videos, use omxplayer. It's command line and you can google it on how to use it. For hd videos, well, they won't play well on the pi so I find a way to convert them to SD.
This is complete nonsense. I haven't seen a single HD file yet, that omxplayer doesn't play. I play live HD TV streams (1080p), for example, most of the time.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jamkirbs

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:56 am

so i can still use the kweb to play movies? still does function as a typical rpi that can play movies?

gkreidl

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:05 am

jamkirbs wrote:so i can still use the kweb to play movies? still does function as a typical rpi that can play movies?
kweb and kweb3 are web browsers with lots of media support. They are simply programs as all others, so they do not keep you from using your RPi in any other way. You also get omxplayerGUI, which can be used standalone to play videos. All 3 programs are accessible from the applications menu (internet and media section) of the desktop.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Beginners”