JLCsan

GNome desktop

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am

Hi, good morning.

Absolute novice here, and received my Pi yesterday.
I installed the Debian Squeeze on an SD card and started it up, took me 10 minutes to understand why there wasn't a graphical interface at first, and how to get it :oops:
Now that I can see some icons on the desktop, and some buttons to click on, how can I get the GNome desktop on it? I've read that the version I can have is 2.30, but when I go to download it from de Debian web site I can't see a package with it, I see tons of them with different names/contents... I've seen some pictures of it running and it looks much nicer to have, thanks a lot :)

nadir

Re: GNome desktop

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 pm

The gnome metapackage is called gnome-desktop-environment

Code: Select all

apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
It is huge (all and the kitchen sink).
I can't recall how to do a minimum gnome install. I would start to search for

gnome-core
You might want to install gconf-editor, with which you can do some tweaking (to make it more light).
I am using xfce, and am happy with it (from resource usage and comfort). Metapackage is xfce4, and then there are the xfce4-goodies (the kitchen sink).

As you say you downloaded the package from debian. There is no need for that.

apt-cache search searchterm
apt-get install packagename
apt-get remove packagename
are the starters of the debian packagemanagement, installing from online repositories to be found at
/etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update
will update the available sources, in case you edit said file.
There are several gui interaces you can use instead of apt-get or aptitude, the one i know of is synaptic.

JLCsan

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi there,

Too much info for me to understand that quickly :D I'll read through it and try to get to the point where I can install something... I don't mind the size of the gnome desktop, the SD card I used for the Pi is 16GB, it should be enough I suppose...
That command, the first one, does that mean the gnome desktop is already in the Debian system??? or do I need to download something first to invoke that command?
Many thanks for the answer and your help :)

nadir

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 pm

It is not easy to explain package management (how to install software) in a few words. It is a difficult subject. The good news: learning it is rather fast and easy.
You don't have to download anything manually (like, for example, in Windows)
The software (packages) are offered from online repositories, servers where the packages are stored.
(or one can install from a CD or DVD, in case one has no online connection).
The user or admin installs them by a packagemanager.
There are several: apt-get and aptitude are commandline, synaptic and, i think, software-center, are graphical.
This way or that way you tell them: please install package xyz for me. The package-manager will check what other packages are needed (so called dependencies of a package), download the whole bunch, and install them.
I gave you the commands for apt-get, as that is the package-manager-frontent i know best.
Lots of people prefer aptitude.
The graphical ones have the advantage of being rather intuitive.

To make a long story short:

sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment 
should install the whole gnome metapackage for you. It's size is ca (!) 3 or 3.5 Gigabytes.
If you later try to remove packages you might run into a well known dependency problems:
a package is installed as a dependency of gnome-desktop-environment, you want to remove it, and as that dependency of gnome is not fullfilled anymore, the package manager wants to remove all of gnome)
("aptitude keep all" should help with that, but it's been a while i have run into the problem.)

Once you are more comfortable with installing software you can decide how to go on (install gnome-core and the packages you need, or other solutions).
Perhaps you could install a small package first, to get used to it:
apt-get install synaptic
will install the graphical package-manager.
Or:
apt-get install feh
will install a small and easy picture-viewer.
Installing gnome will take some time (and doing new things one is usually nervous, or at least i am).

All as far i know. I hope this helps you a bit. The Debian wiki is a good start, though still overwhelming:
https://wiki.debian.org/PackageManagement

gnome is really way more heavy than lxde. I am not sure if you do yourself a favor with it, but you will see (i ran it on very low specs, it is not impossible)

nadir

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:07 pm

PS: sorry, out of habit i often write "apt-get install x" or "apt-get remove x".
You will need to use sudo: "sudo apt-get install x", because you need root rights.

Here are a few tips to speed up gnome a bit (out of date, perhaps they help anyway):
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 28#p316522
(still not sure if it is such a good idea on a raspberrry... Let's hear what others think of that idea)

JLCsan

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi there,

I tried with the sudo bit but I get this error:

E: Unable to locate package gnome-desktop-enviroment

I'll keep reading, I already found around this forums how to create a new user and give it root permisions, and also change the default root user password, it's all getting there...
Thanks again for your help :)

nadir

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 pm

shooting in the dark i assume you have to run

sudo apt-get update
first of all, to inform the system what packages are availabe. You might want to run said command each time before you install new packages (so it knows which are the actual versions).
I tried to simulate the install gnome-desktop-environment and synaptic, and to me it looked as if there were no problems.

rocketero

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm having trouble installing gnome-control-center and gnome-core ...(FOR GDM3) I have the 4 repositories listed by the original rpi installation in /etc/apt/sources.list, but when I try to install one of these packages It shows with a red icon in front, and right-clicking on it and seeing the properties it says 'it's broken' and it doesn't want to install.

can anyone provide another repository that has all the necessary files for these packages??

I have these ones:

deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy contrib non-free main
deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ wheezy main
deb http://archive.qmh-project.org/rpi-wheezy/debian/ unstable main

Cloudcentric

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Debian Squeeze which this ancient post relates to is OBSOLETE
I know everything about nothing"

pluggy

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:34 am

Theres a reason that the Pi uses LXDE by default. Its in keeping with the Pi's limited resources (the CPU primarily, Gnome runs OK in 512MB and even 256.)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

rocketero

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:29 am

yes I decided to stick with LXDE, but can anyone tell me where are the device settings on this desktop management?? I need to troubleshoot Audio issues as I'm not getting any Audio coming out.

Cloudcentric

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:17 am

I know everything about nothing"

Return to “Beginners”