piboy123

External HDD

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Hello,

I have a pi model b. (i.e. not a b+)
I understand from posts I've seen elsewhere that its possible to get an external HDD that will connect via USB and run without any additional power, being powered from the pi itself, and without requiring a powered usb hub.
But I think that some external HDDs would need additional power.
I'm looking to get a HDD of 1TB.
Does anyone have one, or know of one that they would recommend and which will work right out of the box, without any extra power supply?
Ideally in the vicinity of ~£50 or so

Thank you

pluggy

Re: External HDD

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:28 pm

You won't get the power out of the USB on a B to run a bus powered HDD without a powered hub. You could do it with a 3.5" HDD with its own power supply. You need a favourable wind (the right code switches and the right HDD) to do it with a B+. You would get away with a large capacity USB memory stick on a B.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

piboy123

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:58 pm

I found this article (http://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to- ... age-device) which says
... we’re using a matching pair of Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Portable External Hard Drives. They’re super small, don’t require an external power source ...
... and I was just looking for more up to date recommendations or more affordable recommendations for the drives.
Has anyone else had any success with this?

PeterO

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:06 pm

pluggy wrote:You won't get the power out of the USB on a B to run a bus powered HDD without a powered hub. You could do it with a 3.5" HDD with its own power supply. You need a favourable wind (the right code switches and the right HDD) to do it with a B+. You would get away with a large capacity USB memory stick on a B.
500Gb 2.5" drives will run quite happily on a B.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 89#p622845

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

emgi

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Alternatively you can to use something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS-xTR7Puu8

I recently bought one for about 10 euro's and it comes with a power adapter.
You can use it on any disk you may have lying around the house.

/emgi

0xFF

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:11 pm

I use 2.5" 1TB HDD (WDC WD10 JPVT-00A1YT0) connected to old B model RPi (256MB RAM).
Just serial-ATA-USB bridge, no hub.
Works without problem, but I have bypassed poly fuses for USB bus and +5V line.

drgeoff

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:02 pm

0xFF wrote: Works without problem, but I have bypassed poly fuses for USB bus and +5V line.
That "but" is rather significant!

Forgotten01

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:45 pm

drgeoff wrote:
0xFF wrote:
That "but" is rather significant!
all butts are, aren't they?
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

PeterO

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:16 am

0xFF wrote:I use 2.5" 1TB HDD (WDC WD10 JPVT-00A1YT0) connected to old B model RPi (256MB RAM).
Just serial-ATA-USB bridge, no hub.
Works without problem, but I have bypassed poly fuses for USB bus and +5V line.
Mine are only 500Gb , but no hardware modifications have been needed to use them. On the B+ the USB max current needs to be set to 1.2A in the boot config that is all.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

piboy123

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 pm

If I got a usb 3.0 drive (eg www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084LZIB8/) with a 3.0 cable, would it operate as if usb 2.0 since the pi is 2.0 and just work? Or would it try to draw too much power?
Because I've found there are a lot more 3.0 drives than 2.0 to choose from in the shops. Thank you

pluggy

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:34 pm

PeterO wrote:
pluggy wrote:You won't get the power out of the USB on a B to run a bus powered HDD without a powered hub. You could do it with a 3.5" HDD with its own power supply. You need a favourable wind (the right code switches and the right HDD) to do it with a B+. You would get away with a large capacity USB memory stick on a B.
500Gb 2.5" drives will run quite happily on a B.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 89#p622845

PeterO
Some 500 GB drives will run on a Pi. It depends on how well they handle run up currents. I couldn't get my 500 GB USB3 to work on a Pi B+ with the software switch in and a holy swag store 2A power supply. It gives the old clicky clicky, I can't get enough juice syndrome. To be honest it is picky about which USB port I plug it into on my desktop PC. My older 250 GB USB2 segates wouldn't go on the same B+ either, they aren't too picky about which USB on my desktop. The 500GB is an HGST Touro : http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/produc ... tml?src=15

Maybe one to avoid for Pi use.

The 250s are 4 year old Seagate Freeagent Goflex : http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/17764496/ ... oduct.html . Long since out of production.

Maybe I should try them on my Old B1 with the bypassed polyfuses....

drgeoff

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:40 pm

USB3 devices are supposed to drop back to USB2 mode (as far as data transfer is concerned) when connected to a USB2 device. A USB3 plug (the one that looks like a USB1/2 plug) will fit a USB1/2 socket despite having extra contacts. Whether the RPi B+ will handle the power requirements of a particular USB3 drive, I'm not willing to give a definitive answer. Probably OK.

pluggy

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:05 pm

I'll be b*ggered, the HGST will work on a B2 with the Swag store PSU with no hub. It wouldn't play with the B+, I'm not going to push my luck hot plugging it though.

My B+ is toast now and I haven't got around to buying another so I can't try it again.

Edit. The Seagates work as well, on this Pi. Looks like I was wrong.

Sanders8

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:09 am

I don't use hard drive for storing my data. I have had 2 of external hard drives die but now I am using Cloud backup software (CloudBacko Pro) for saving all of my data. I am really happy with it. It works for Windows, Mac, Linux etc and provides some pretty useful features.

Return to “Beginners”