Trinoc

Aten PS2 KVM switch and PS2/USB adaptor

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm have an Aten CS-84A KVM switch which currently switches between three PCs using PS2 keyboard and mouse connections, so I'd like to use the 4th port on the KVM for my Pi.

I've tried using the cheap Newlink PS2 to USB adaptor from Amazon but it didn't work at all. Amazon also sells a much more expensive (£10 + £2 delivery) from Belkin, which has better reviews. All the same, I don't want to fork out £12 for something that might not have any chance of working.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-USB-PS-2 ... 47-8181100

Does anyone have any experience using this adaptor (or can recommend one that does work) via an active KVM switch like the Aten.

cpswan

Re: Aten PS2 KVM switch and PS2/USB adaptor

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I've had a good experience with the Belkin PS/2 to USB adaptor. I've used one for over a year with my old HP keyboard and my laptop (in a docking station), and I bought another that arrived today to use with my RPi - so far it seems to work fine.

I've had some issues with my ATEN CS64U and my RPi (when playing MAME games - it seems OK the rest of the time), but I suspect some USB related weirdness that's unlikely to be relevant to the setup you propose.

Trinoc

Re: Aten PS2 KVM switch and PS2/USB adaptor

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. In the end I paid a bit more for Aten's own adaptor which specifies that it works with KVM switches (which I assumed must include Aten's own KVMs). It seems to work OK.

Return to “Beginners”