scsi050

OS detection as MaxOSX

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:46 am

Ultimately I'm trying to get some flash videos to work on some websites (specifically history.com) and I have gnash installed and that seems to be working because I can go to youtube.com and watch a video, but history.com detects the running Rasbian OS as "OSX" and forwards me to the iTunes store, which is obviously no good I've tried with Chromium and Epiphany browsers, both with the same results.

Anyone see this before and know of a workaround? Is there a way to have Rasbian not detected as OSX? thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: OS detection as MaxOSX

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:48 am

scsi050 wrote:Ultimately I'm trying to get some flash videos to work on some websites (specifically history.com) and I have gnash installed and that seems to be working because I can go to youtube.com and watch a video, but history.com detects the running Rasbian OS as "OSX" and forwards me to the iTunes store, which is obviously no good I've tried with Chromium and Epiphany browsers, both with the same results.

Anyone see this before and know of a workaround? Is there a way to have Rasbian not detected as OSX? thanks
gnash is old and obsolete, forget anything Flash Player, Adobe has abandoned.

Chromium browser is old and obsolete, and well past its sell by date.

IceWeasel, Epiphany and kweb browsers are HTML5 complient.

Therefore would suggest you look at kweb, there is very good documentation available to read:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=40860

;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

scsi050

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:31 pm

i'll checkout those newer browsers, but i'm assuming that won't fix my problem, as the pi will still be detected as a "mac" by the website i'm hitting.

Sleep Mode zZ

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:29 am

I don't think that the Pi tells websites anything on its own. It is the browser that does tell what kind of system you are using to access the site. The string that the browser uses to tell the site what kind of system you are on is called a user agent. Try some site that tells directly what is your user agent. You probably can change the user agent to something else although I can't give you specific instructions how to do that as I'm not familiar with Chromium.

gkreidl

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:53 am

scsi050 wrote:i'll checkout those newer browsers, but i'm assuming that won't fix my problem, as the pi will still be detected as a "mac" by the website i'm hitting.
1) This is bad, faulty browser detection software (used on the website).
2) With some browsers you can set another user-agent (latest version of kweb can do it).
3) There's no support for playing flash video in any browser on the RPi. The only way to play them, is to extract the video URL from the web page using youtube-dl and forward this to a HW accelerated video player (omxplayer). That's the method used by kweb. But it will only work with websites supported by youtube-dl (more than 100 and growing all the time). history.com is currently not supported.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

scsi050

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:14 pm

what results are you guys seeing from your PI when you hit http://whatsmyuseragent.com ? Please include browser name.

ePiphany: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; ARM Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/538.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/538.15 Version/6.0 Debian/7.6 (3.8.2.0-Orpi14rpi2) Epiphany/3.8.2

I guess i didn't see the "Epiphany/3.8.2" string in the user agent before, so maybe it is detecting it accuratley, just that the historychannel website is bad, like you said, gkreidl.

gkreidl

Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:10 pm

scsi050 wrote:what results are you guys seeing from your PI when you hit http://whatsmyuseragent.com ? Please include browser name.

ePiphany: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; ARM Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/538.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/538.15 Version/6.0 Debian/7.6 (3.8.2.0-Orpi14rpi2) Epiphany/3.8.2

I guess i didn't see the "Epiphany/3.8.2" string in the user agent before, so maybe it is detecting it accuratley, just that the historychannel website is bad, like you said, gkreidl.
Midori and all browsers based on libwebkit3 (epiphany, kweb3) report the wrong OS (Mac).
kweb reports the correct one: (X11; Linux armv6l),
but it doesn't do that by itself; it inherits it from the libwebkit1 library (Midori uses the same lib but seems to modify the user-agent by itself).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Beginners”