bbncomms

network access

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 pm

As a newbie to linux perhaps I am missing something here?

My raspberry pi with Debian Wheezy is on a local peer to peer type network including a combination of both Windows + Linux orientated PC's. All of them can see each other etc. With the Raspberry Pi active on that network - its Internet connection is fine and it can 'ping' other machines who can also 'ping' it. However the Pi is not visible under the windows Network Managers or the File type manager on Linux Ubuntu - similarly there appears to be nothing in the local OS that can see external connections.

Do I need to install something, if so what and how or is this to be expected?

Thanks in advance

jecxjo

Re: network access

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:48 pm

A few questions to help clear up your setup:

You say you are on a Peer-to-Peer type network. Can you be a little more specific? Are you really using a Peer-to-Peer network like a wireless mesh or do you mean you are on a LAN/WLAN?

What are you expecting to show up in Windows Network Manager or Ubuntu's File Manager? By default no File Sharing should be enabled. You will need to configure the Pi to allow for network sharing, a tutorial can be found here: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_NAS. Sorry I'm not much help in either the Windows or Mac world but aside from File Sharing are you looking for anything else?

If you want access to a Window Box's shared folder you will need to configure a Samba Client. This section of the tutorial I linked has not been completed but Googling smbclient should get you started.
xmpp: [email protected]
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code

itimpi

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm

jecxjo wrote: If you want access to a Window Box's shared folder you will need to configure a Samba Client. This section of the tutorial I linked has not been completed but Googling smbclient should get you started.
You should not need to install samba if you simply want the Pi to access a Windows or Samba share as cifs support is built in. Include an entry of the form:

Code: Select all

Network_address/share-name  mount_point   cifs   username=your_username,password=your_password 
in /etc/fstab. Then make sure the mount_point folder exists and you can mount the remote share. If you omit the password option you are prompted for it when the share is mounted. It should also get auto-mounted on booting if the share is available.

bbncomms

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:01 pm

This is effectively a lan.

As for file sharing on the Pi that can come later - but I would expect other PC's, already set up to share etc. to be visible in some way.

I will examine the suggested link - thanks

I am aware of Samba but no visible connection visible with linux @ present.

bbncomms

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks for the help so far.

I have managed to employ samba to give me full network access to the pi from either windows or a linux PC. But have yet to achieve things the other way.
Having said that, my main goal has been achieved as now I can generate files etc. remotely

Return to “Beginners”