jnmr

Wifi repeater with Raspberry Pi

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:30 am

Hi folks!!!

I have this problem, in my new apartment I only catch 1 or 2 bars of wifi, very low signal... :(

I thought in buy a wifi repeater, but I don't have money to do that, but I had one idea, to use one of my Raspberry Pi to do that! :)

I have one dongle wifi and an old router. I thought to do the next thing, I receive the signal from the dongle to my Raspberry and then, through the router spread the signal to my PC.

Does it work??? :?:
Can anyone help me please?

Best regards,
João Reis

Nfarrow

Re: Wifi repeater with Raspberry Pi

Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:28 am

your best bet would be to load the Raspberry Pi with http://www.dd-wrt.com
Twitter: @farrownick
Instagram veggievampire
I own a lot of Pis....

imaham

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:56 am

I understand your frustration with not having adequate wifi signal. I am not sure where you live but I know I just bought a "wireless client" online and it fixed my issue and 'extended' my network. All it did was take my current wifi signal and put it further.

My wireless client is called TP-LINK TL-WA701ND and it's an access point, wireless bridge, client, etc. I bought mine via Amazon dot com for about $18 USD. So it's significantly cheaper than the Raspberry Pi, but yes the Pi probably could be programmed to be a wireless client or access point.

I'm not sure how to do that, but I guess you could put your Pi nearest where the wifi signal is strongest, then either use ethernet cord to connect your computer or you could program it to extend your signal, but as far as I know a standard wifi dongle wouldn't be able to do that, but I am not an expert by any means in networking or radio waves.

Good luck with your project. I really hope you find someone to help you with this or are able to buy a wireless client for a low cost.

Gomez

Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:04 am

Hello João Reis,

Your idea of getting the signal with wifi and repeat it again trough wifi is possible but the money it takes to do so is almost as much as a really wifi repeater like this one :

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-MR3020 ... B00634PLTW

And I didn't search much to find it so you can probably get a wifi repeater cheaper but if you still want to make a wifi repeater out of your raspberry, then you will need two wireless usb sticks, but don't expect great throughput from them because the most you will get is probably 50mbit throughput..

There are multiple topics about this subject out there on this forum, this post might help you because it has a reference to another helpful topic.
SirLagz wrote:I don't have an exact guide, but I'll write up a general guide here and do a more indepth blog post later

wlan0 - Connected to your existing wlan network
wlan1 - Broadcasting a new wlan network

wlan0 needs to be configured to connect via /etc/network/interfaces, or a variant of this method.
e.g. wpa-ssid and wpa-psk in /etc/network/interfaces

wlan1 needs to be setup to broadcast a network via hostapd
then wlan1 needs to be bridged to wlan0 so that when a client connects to wlan1, packets are forwarded to wlan0

Check out this post -> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 27&t=17702
That is all I can help for now, good luck.

edit:
Ebay also has a lot of wifi range extenders with a good price, much cheaper than a raspberry pi, this one seems okay, its up to you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300Mbps-Wireles ... 54136a6777

pluggy

Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:23 am

Besides the cost aspect, you need to be very careful what kind of Wifi adaptor you use on the outlet side, most wifi adaptor's drivers only work in infrastructure mode in Linux.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “Beginners”