benderman

New to Pi - monitor question

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:31 am

Hi Guys,

I have recently got myself a B+ and have been enjoying using it but the monitor resolution is not good. I have googled what to do and tried changing the boot file but to no avail. When using the GUI, it doesn't recognise the monitor so I can't increase the resolution.

I have seen several posts about using xrandr but when I tired to install that there was a message saying it was no longer available.

Is there an 'idiot guide' anywhere to doing this?

Thanks,

Ben

fruitoftheloom

Re: New to Pi - monitor question

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 pm

benderman wrote:Hi Guys,

I have recently got myself a B+ and have been enjoying using it but the monitor resolution is not good. I have googled what to do and tried changing the boot file but to no avail. When using the GUI, it doesn't recognise the monitor so I can't increase the resolution.

I have seen several posts about using xrandr but when I tired to install that there was a message saying it was no longer available.

Is there an 'idiot guide' anywhere to doing this?

Thanks,

Ben
How are you connecting the unknown Monitor ??

Changes to resolution are handled by the config.txt file

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:46 pm

If you're using Raspbian (or a variant which has the tvservice command) you may find these notes of mine of interest/use:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... tings.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:52 pm

What sort of monitor are you using and how is it connected? (Critical parts are: HDMI/DVI connection or VGA through converter. If the later, is the protocol converter powered or does it rely on power from the Pi's HDMI port? If you are using the composite port, then you may be stuck with what you've got.)

benderman

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 am

Thanks for the help guys.

I have a PC monitor that came with a PC a few years back. It has a VGA input and I have connected it via an HDMI - VGA converter that is a small black box with a short wire to the HDMI connector. It isn't independently powered though.

I'll check out the links and try it out when I get home tonight, once again thanks for the tips.

Ben

W. H. Heydt

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:37 pm

benderman wrote:Thanks for the help guys.

I have a PC monitor that came with a PC a few years back. It has a VGA input and I have connected it via an HDMI - VGA converter that is a small black box with a short wire to the HDMI connector. It isn't independently powered though.

I'll check out the links and try it out when I get home tonight, once again thanks for the tips.

Ben
Aha! That sort of converter frequently uses the HDMI power (meant to access the EDID data on the monitor) to power itself, meaning that the Pi never gets the EDID data and, therefore, uses default settings.

You're going to need to go into config.txt and add monitor geometry to get it right.

Follow on solutions... You can get a powered HDMI to VGA device (warning: tends to cost as much or more than a Pi), or find a monitor with either HDMI or DVI-D input. (You might double check the monitor you have...look for a white, rather square, connector. If it has one, that will be a DVI connector and you can just get an HDMI to DVI cable.) Check thrift shops, freecycle, friends, or businesses doing desktop upgrades for free or cheap monitors.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:54 pm

benderman wrote:Thanks for the help guys.

Ben
On ebay can get used 19" Monitors with DVi input for around £20.00 at lot easier than a HDMi to VGA convertor...
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Return to “Beginners”