SimonAllen

Trouble connecting HDMI

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:58 pm

I am new to the RaspberryPi and this is the first time I have tried to get one to work. I have formatted the SD card put an image of Raspbian on the card. Connected a wireless keyboard and mouse and powered it up. There are two LEDs on, a red and green one.

The HMDI cable is connected to the one of the two HDMI ports on a Samsung UE32H5000 TV.

My problem is that the TV just says ‘No Signal’

If I connect the HDMI cable to my MacBook it copies my display to the TV. So I know the cable must be good and TV is working. So what have I missed? What do I need to cause the RaspberryPi to show on the TV?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Trouble connecting HDMI

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:09 pm

SimonAllen wrote:I am new to the RaspberryPi and this is the first time I have tried to get one to work. I have formatted the SD card put an image of Raspbian on the card. Connected a wireless keyboard and mouse and powered it up. There are two LEDs on, a red and green one.
If the red, PoWeR, led isn't flashing, and the green, ACTivity, led is "permanently" on (no flashing) this suggests that the Pi cannot read your SDHC card - how did you "put an image of Raspbian on the card"?
More help w.r.t. not booting/no video issues can be found in this "sticky thread":
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

drgeoff

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:10 pm

Try reading the "NO VIDEO - NOT BOOTING" sticky. It was two above yours when you posted.

SimonAllen

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Both red and green lights are on. Neither is flashing. I had the disk image of Raspbian and just copied it to the SD card. Have I erred? Does this also stop the TV displaying anything?

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:48 pm

If you have an *.img file you MUST use Win32DiskImager (or dd (or some funky process on OSX)) to write it to the card.
If you have an *.zip file you MUST unzip it on to the card.

You can't just copy an *.img to the root of the card's filesystem and expect that to work.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

B.Goode

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:49 pm

SimonAllen wrote:Both red and green lights are on. Neither is flashing. I had the disk image of Raspbian and just copied it to the SD card. Have I erred?
Yes.
Does this also stop the TV displaying anything?
Yes.

SimonAllen

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks all.

I am sudoing and dding. Certainly not very intuitive stuff. This link is helpful.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ges/mac.md

Also needs to be used with care as I see I can over write my harddisk which I would rather not do!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:54 pm

that is one reason NOOBS was invented, this installation helper makes the process much easier and safer.

SimonAllen

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:59 pm

That worked. The screen is showing a menu of setup options. Thanks for all your help.

Return to “Beginners”