NikoBelic

SD card seems to have lost space

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:34 am

Hello, total newbee at all of this. I went for a 32 gigabyte SD card, but when I look at the size with R Pi running (using df from terminal) it seems much smaller. Might I have actually lost some of the SD capacity for some reason? If so, where did I go wrong? Also, probably a different topic but I don't seem to have sound (using a HDMI card and and audio cable from the jack to a tv). Any advice? Thanks muchly for any help.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: SD card seems to have lost space

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:24 am

NikoBelic wrote:Hello, total newbee at all of this. I went for a 32 gigabyte SD card, but when I look at the size with R Pi running (using df from terminal) it seems much smaller. Might I have actually lost some of the SD capacity for some reason? If so, where did I go wrong? Also, probably a different topic but I don't seem to have sound (using a HDMI card and and audio cable from the jack to a tv). Any advice? Thanks muchly for any help.
32 Gig is its unformatted size, not the amount you can actually store. I've got lots of 8 Gig USB flash drives that only hold 7.36 Gig. It's the same with hard disks. Formatting takes some space. :cry:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

RaTTuS

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:54 am

how much is much smaller
df -h
sudo fdisk -l
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

itimpi

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:04 am

NikoBelic wrote:Hello, total newbee at all of this. I went for a 32 gigabyte SD card, but when I look at the size with R Pi running (using df from terminal) it seems much smaller. Might I have actually lost some of the SD capacity for some reason? If so, where did I go wrong? Also, probably a different topic but I don't seem to have sound (using a HDMI card and and audio cable from the jack to a tv). Any advice? Thanks muchly for any help.
If you have simply imaged the OS image to the SD, then it will only appear to have the amount of space that corresponds to the image size. If that is the case then you need to follow the process for increasing the partition size to match your SD card as identified at http://elinux.org/index.php?title=RPi_E ... ptional.29.

If using the latest Debian "Wheezy" beta release (which is recommended as being better than the 19-04 release on the download page) then you are offered the option for this to be done for you the first time you load the system.

NikoBelic

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:43 am

Thanks everyone. I think itimpi has identified the problem; I'll try the remedies suggested on the wiki and post again if I have further problems.

pluggy

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Bear in mind that what some pass off as formatting is actually the "cheat" employed by storage manufacturers (they all do it) in using a decimal gigabyte (1,000,000,000 bytes) for measuring. Operating systems and computer manufacturers use binary gigabytes which is 2^30 (1,073,741,824 bytes). Since the binary gigabyte is much larger, operating systems always report a figure for storage much smaller (7.3%) than what the label says. It gets even more confusing when you start talking kilobytes (decimal 1000, binary 1024) and megabytes (1,000,000 decimal, 1,048,576 binary). The difference between the 2 is 2.4% for kilobytes, 4.8% for megabytes and 7.3% for gigabytes.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

deej1976

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:35 pm

You may also lose a bit of space with block sizes.

noleander

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:51 pm

I have a new SD card that is supposed to hold 4GB, but after formatting it and trying to install a different OS than what was preloaded, my capacity almost completely vanished, leaving me with 65MB.
I am not new to formatting drives, but I have never experienced such a thing. This drive is now worthless, not capable of holding enough to be useful. I think it's a manufacturing defect-any ideas?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:26 pm

You are probably looking with windows, which only sees the first of several partitions on a typical PI sd-card. If you look with linux you would see there are several more partitions that take up the rest of the 4GB.

BocaJ

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:39 am

noleander wrote:I have a new SD card that is supposed to hold 4GB, but after formatting it and trying to install a different OS than what was preloaded, my capacity almost completely vanished, leaving me with 65MB.
I am not new to formatting drives, but I have never experienced such a thing. This drive is now worthless, not capable of holding enough to be useful. I think it's a manufacturing defect-any ideas?
I experienced the same and finally found a solution to get my full capacity back using a simple tool.

Download SDFormatter 3.1 here:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
  • Run the program, choose your SD card drive letter and click "Option".
  • Choose FORMAT TYPE QUICK and FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT ON
  • Hit Format and get your capacity back!
You might want to format with Windows afterwards as SDFormatter will format to FAT.

noleander

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 am

Thanks for your reply. I found out about the other partitions after trying to partition the SD it in Windows. It was confusing how Windows only recognizes the other partitions when you try to change the partitions.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Microsoft seems to choose to act like the competition doesn't exist, and thus refuses to acknowledge that other file formats exists, in its software like partition editors an such. Let alone that it support these non microsoft formats. If support is given its through third party add-ons.

gelfling6
Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, SOL-3, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 am

mahjongg wrote:Microsoft seems to choose to act like the competition doesn't exist, and thus refuses to acknowledge that other file formats exists, in its software like partition editors an such. Let alone that it support these non microsoft formats. If support is given its through third party add-ons.
Only thing like that, that I've found, was a driver for accessing EXT2 format, but it would balk at ext3 or 4.. Also seem to remember it only worked under Win-XP of Vista.. I used to tinker with it back a few years ago, when someone handed me a TIVO clone, and I wanted to see what was on it. (only rescued 2 movies I had never seen when they were in the theaters, then simply wiped the drive.)

yeah, I ran into the same problem with I accidentally botched something my 1st time running the Pi, and it plat refused to boot past a certain point in the start-up. So, when I went to wipe the card, I couldn't gain back the rest past 65MB, but was able to wipe them under Disk Utility, under KNOPPIX. (loaded off a USB-Key)

klricks

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:41 pm

noleander wrote:I have a new SD card that is supposed to hold 4GB, but after formatting it and trying to install a different OS than what was preloaded, my capacity almost completely vanished, leaving me with 65MB.
There is no point in doing a manual reformatting when you want to put a new image on a SD card.
When you use the Win32diskimager software the formatting is automatically done for you and the partition is always set to 2GB regardless of the SD card size. The image itself is almost 2GB leaving only a few MB free space.

In order to gain access to the remaining space you have to do the expand_rootfs to fill card:
sudo raspi-config
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

takumiyew

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:05 am

Or you can have delicated "document files" partition separate from your system partition, by manually partitioning the SD card on Raspberry Pi. Of course, there is some risk involve doing so as with all manual partitioning operations. As your own risk. Read the full reference here: http://tmblr.co/ZqC3Etc2dXwS

Steps:
1. Find out the device name of the SD card
df -h
Look for something like this in the output,
/dev/mmcblk0p1
mmcblk0 is the device name, ignore p1 for now.

2. gain root/superuser privilege
sudo -i
3. Use fdisk tool
fdisk -u -c /dev/mmcblk0
Keyboard press: p, to print existing partition table. Copy it down. Take note of the “End” address number of the last partition, usually /dev/mmcblk0p2. In this example, say 123456.
Keyboard press: n, to create new partition.
Keyboard press: p, to for primary partition type to create.
Select partition number: If you already have 2 partitions, the next one should be number 3.
First sector: 123457, this should be the next sector after the “End” address number of the last partition.
Last sector: Use the default sector address number if the new partition you are creating shall take up all available free space on the SD card. If you want to create more partitions after this one, do your own math for the disk space required.
4. Save the changes (WARNING: You cannot revert this step, press q to quit without saving)
Keyboard press: w, to save the changes.
5. Reboot to effect change.
You can’t use the new partition(s) yet because you still need to format it. Use the command mkfs to format or install dosfstools to use mkdosfs to format as FAT32. Lastly, edit /etc/fstab to mount the new partitions automatically on boot.

Return to “Beginners”