JollyRoger

Controlling Pi via direct connection to Linux laptop

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 am

I have an ancient laptop lacking wifi on which I have installed Fedora 14 (it's too old to run later versions). I would like to use it to control my Pi via a direct connection from its network port to the Pi's network port, so that the laptop keyboard becomes in effect the Pi's keyboard, and the Pi's output appears on the laptop screen. Is it possible to do this via such a physical connection, and if so what software do I need on the two machines? I gather from other posts that I should install TightVNC on the Pi (or maybe on the laptop?), but I'm new to all this and don't know how to proceed.

I would be really grateful for any advice

AndrewS

Re: Controlling Pi via direct connection to Linux laptop

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:29 am

You'll need to setup a (different) static IP on both your Pi and your laptop's ethernet port, and then setup VNC.
Instructions for both of these can be found on http://elinux.org/RPi_Guides

clickykbd

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 am

If the laptop has a functioning OS, you just need to make or buy a Cat5/6 network "crossover" cable and do a bit of configuring so that they can talk to eachother without a switch/hub. I need to set this up myself so I'll try to remember to author and share a howto when I do.

You can get simple access to the shell through ssh this way. if you want a graphical environment you are going to need to do some more leg work, TightVNC, as you mention, is one option. X11 forwarding is another, but these won't be very enjoyable for media-rich graphics activity.

if you also need internet access, at least one of the two machines will need a second network adapter in one or the other (wireless, wired, or 3g dongle).

if your goal revolves around portability but you need graphics performance too, take a look at the lapdock raspi projects:
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/06/21 ... a-lapdock/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... it=lapdock

JollyRoger

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Many thanks for replying so quickly. I've installed the Remmina VNC client on my laptop (that was available in the Fedora 14 repository, TightVNC wasn't), and I'll now install TightVNC on the Pi (following the instructions on the RPi Guides), and then connect and try to get them to talk...

AndrewS

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:03 pm

clickykbd wrote:If the laptop has a functioning OS, you just need to make or buy a Cat5/6 network "crossover" cable and do a bit of configuring so that they can talk to eachother without a switch/hub. I need to set this up myself so I'll try to remember to author and share a howto when I do.
Many Ethernet adaptors nowadays support Auto-MDIX so you might be able to use a regular ethernet cable rather than a specific crossover cable. :)

clickykbd

Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Many Ethernet adaptors nowadays support Auto-MDIX so you might be able to use a regular ethernet cable rather than a specific crossover cable.
Now that's nice to know!

mdewey

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:32 pm

clickykbd wrote:
Many Ethernet adaptors nowadays support Auto-MDIX so you might be able to use a regular ethernet cable rather than a specific crossover cable.
Now that's nice to know!
According to
http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Se ... nnectivity
the RPi has indeed got an auto-sensing port and since you only need one at one end you should be all tickety-boo.

Michael

JollyRoger

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:56 am

Many thanks for the various replies to my query. Unfortunately I have been unable to connect to my Pi. I installed tightvncserver on my Pi and xtvncviewer on my Windows laptop. When I tried to connect to the Pi from the Windows laptop, Norton promptly blocked the attempt, reporting a massive attack from tightvncserver which matched a known signature. When I tried to connect to the Pi from my ancient Linux laptop using Remmina VNC client, the software crashed. I don't know what to do next.

bredman

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:47 pm

I would recommend removing Norton and using a more sensible anti-virus such as AVG Free (www.avg.com).

Norton is notoriously difficult to work with, it causes more problems than any other anti-virus software.

Return to “Beginners”