dhruvvyas90

Remote access using ISPs with NAT.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:34 am

Hi,

I have deployed quite a few embedded products based on Raspberry pi and now to provide them support I would like to introduce remote access in my products. I have experimented with a few ISPs that provides static IPs and it works like a charm however, a few ISPs use NAT and don't provide static public ip directly to device but they use NAT based systems instead. I was wondering if there's a way to gain remote access in this situation.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

ghans

Re: Remote access using ISPs with NAT.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:45 am

1) Set up a VPN server on your premises and have the Pis connect to it.

2) Set up a SSH server on your premises (i.e. another Pi) and use reverse SSH tunneling
on the clients.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

cpc464

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi OP can you give more details - where the target Pis are (all in the same remote place, scattered), what sort of access you want (ssh/desktop) and where you are connecting from.
Unix engineer since 1989

dhruvvyas90

Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:07 am

cpc464 wrote:Hi OP can you give more details - where the target Pis are (all in the same remote place, scattered), what sort of access you want (ssh/desktop) and where you are connecting from.
Targeted Rpis are scattered, of course. Just SSH is fine, ie I don't need remote desktop currently. I will be connecting from different state / country. I just need an option to connect to Rpi on the ISPs those do not provide static IP. Solution provided by ghans should work but I am yet to test it.

dhruvvyas90

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:39 am

Hi,

I just tried the method mentioned by ghans. It works like a charm.

Also, there is a blog post that addresses the same question.

http://www.tunnelsup.com/raspberry-pi-p ... ssh-tunnel

Hope it helps for others who are trying to achieve the same.

Thanks again, ghans. :)

Return to “Beginners”