datamike

noobs sdcard multiple OS

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:02 am

I got my B+ from the US distributor and it came with an 8GB noobs card that I was able to configure just fine. Now I found a 16GB card around the house. I downloaded the noobs software and got the card ready with no problem. The only surprise is that it didn't offer to load multiple distributions of linux (arch, pidora, risc os, etc..) just raspian, scratch and something else,
Looking at the files of the noobs download, I suspect extra images need to placed in the OS folder, presumably from the images on the download page of Arch, pidora, etc... I'm looking forward to trying multiple boots on the pi, but it takes so long to write data to a sd card, I don't want to guess at it. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike in New mexico

drgeoff

Re: noobs sdcard multiple OS

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:47 am

Read the documentation. http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... n/noobs.md. Under "What's included in NOOBS":

"As of NOOBS v1.3.10 (September 2014), only Raspbian is installed by default in NOOBS. The others can be installed with a network connection."

oswyn123

Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 pm

All the instructions say is that other os's "can be installed on the raspberry pi with a network connection," but this is a really vague response. I am assuming its about downloading the image onto the pi, then running a command Install OS, but I really can't find documentation to back this up. If anyone has advice, it would be appreciated!

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:16 pm

oswyn123 wrote:All the instructions say is that other os's "can be installed on the raspberry pi with a network connection," but this is a really vague response. I am assuming its about downloading the image onto the pi, then running a command Install OS, but I really can't find documentation to back this up. If anyone has advice, it would be appreciated!
Quite agree documentation is out-of-date, all I can find is this statement

"" Finally, to free up SD card space, the offline NOOBS package now only contains the Raspbian archive. To install Arch, Pidora, OpenELEC, RaspBMC or RISC OS you will require a network connection.""

Anyway you need an Ethernet Connection from your Internet Router to the RPi, then when you first boot into the Noobs Interface it will give you an option to install other Operating Systems.
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

DougieLawson

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:24 pm

The new NOOBS is a halfway house between full NOOBS and NOOBS lite.

The Raspbian OS (most user's only choice) is included as part of the download.

All the other OS'es (Pidora, Arch, Openelec, RaspBMC & RiscOS) are NOT included as part of the NOOBS download. If you want to use one of those you'll need to connect an ethernet cable between your RPi and your router/switch before booting NOOBS for the first time. Those additional operating systems will be downloaded on demand.

The reasons for this are:
  1. Most folks choose Raspbian
  2. The NOOBS lite process works
  3. Everyone who chooses just one OS gets more space free on their SDCard
  4. The size of the download shrinks
  5. It will fit on a 4GB SDCard
The only problem is you need an active network connection to install anything other than Raspbian.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

oswyn123

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Awesome to get a better understanding. Thanks for the responses!

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:42 pm

Sigh.... Good example of why there needs to be a third NOOBS option, even if it isn't directly on the download page. For want of a better term, call it "NOOBS heavy". Alternatively, a set of downloadable packages that can simply be copied to a (large enough) SD card that the NOOBS installer will then recognize.

At present, if I go to the local Costco, I think the *smallest* SD card they carry is 16GB, and to get a microSD card, I would be looking at 32GB, minimum. Shrinking NOOBS to Raspbian only to save download bandwidth makes at least some sense, but eliminating the other OS packages to save space is rapidly becoming irrelevant on the ground.

(I've put a modest effort into the "project", but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get C4 8GB microSD cards locally. One would think by now that they'd be readily available from reputable manufacturers for less than $5 each...possibly a lot less, even if you had to buy them in relatively "bulk" quantities.)

paulemm

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:47 am

Errr ... this is going to sound really stupid, but here goes:

I've got a quite an old version of NOOBS on a 32GB microSD in a card carrier with raspbian booting from it. I've kept it up to date with apt get update and upgrade, and have added various packages along the way. I'd like to add say open elec and one or two other OS options. I also have a 320GB usb hard drive attached with a fair amount of free space on it.

What version of NOOBS first allowed multiple OS booting options?

If my current NOOBS does not allow multiple OS's how can I take an image of my current Raspbian setup, and later add it to a fresh new NOOBS down load? (So I can keep what I've now got.)

After that how do I add further OS's to a NOOBS set up - I now know it CAN be done: but HOW?

I have always found searching these forums very obscure - is there an idiots guide as I'm beginning to feel very inadequate.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:02 am

paulemm wrote: If my current NOOBS does not allow multiple OS's how can I take an image of my current Raspbian setup, and later add it to a fresh new NOOBS down load? (So I can keep what I've now got.)
The short answer is that you need to keep the "blob" that boots the GPU up to date. Search around and you can find how to do that.
After that how do I add further OS's to a NOOBS set up - I now know it CAN be done: but HOW?
That's my point from an earlier post in this thread. It would be good to have a set of OS packages that could be downloaded and added to a raw NOOBS file system which would either be recognized automatically, or with a set of instructions on how to alter the required files for NOOBS to use them. The caveat would be...if you can't follow the instructions, you aren't ready to modify a NOOBS card.

As an alternative...put a "NOOBS heavy" or "NOOBS complete" download somewhere.

Looking at what I can easily see on a Win7 system of NOOBS 1.3.10, it certainly looks like an OS is contained in a single directory and the key element is probably one or more .json files. I beleive the required information was discussed some time ago when NOOBS was first released.

elatllat

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:18 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:.."NOOBS heavy"...
Normal NOOBS should have all 6 main distributions even if it needs a 32GB card, otherwise you might as well skip NOOBS and just download raspbian.
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:51 am

elatllat wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:.."NOOBS heavy"...
Normal NOOBS should have all 6 main distributions even if it needs a 32GB card, otherwise you might as well skip NOOBS and just download raspbian.
As of Rel. 1.3.10 of NOOBS, it doesn't. It only has Raspbian, albeit it more that one configuration (for instance, you can install it to boot directly into Scratch). At present, it you want to build a multi-OS SD using NOOBS you have two choices: Use NOOBS lite with a wired LAN connection, or use NOOBS lite connected with a pre-configured wireless client access point (using the Pis Ethernet connector).

Hence my call for "NOOBS heavy"/"NOOBS complete" (I kind of dislike the later because I'm not sure it is practical or even possible to have a "complete" set of Pi OSes...let alone on one card), or a way to download and add OS packages to a NOOBS card before doing the install on a Pi.

Now I will grant that anyone who wants to add additional OS packages to a NOOBS card can hardly be considered a "noob", but there is a considerable gap between the raw beginners that NOOBS is desgned for and someone with the chops to do systems work to build a multi-boot system on their own. "NOOBS heavy" would have practical uses in that gap.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:20 am

Noobs is an Operating System Chooser ! If additional OSes want to be added later then it is not feasible without starting afresh..

BerryBoot is multi-boot with the flexibility to add/remove OSes

IMO Noobs add more confusion and though a good "idea" for a new user it has limited value over swapping Single OS SD Cards and learning how to write an .IMG File ;)
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:43 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Noobs is an Operating System Chooser ! If additional OSes want to be added later then it is not feasible without starting afresh..

BerryBoot is multi-boot with the flexibility to add/remove OSes

IMO Noobs add more confusion and though a good "idea" for a new user it has limited value over swapping Single OS SD Cards and learning how to write an .IMG File ;)
To a large extent, I agree with you. The areas in which I don't are (1) the RPF has more control over NOOBS than BerryBoot (and note that I use BerryBoot...but I use it on Cubieboards!) and (2) one must consider who the target user community is for NOOBS. It isn't for people who have long experience, understand image files, and are comfortable manipulating the system(s) in often complex ways. NOOBS is a way for the true novices to get their feet wet. It is also *an* answer to a lot of the early problems that people had with the Pi.

So..."standard" (offline) NOOBS with only Raspbian. No issues. NOOBS Lite for situations where there is some way of connecting the RJ-45 jack to the world. No issues. Beyond that, having a way to download or create a NOOBS card that is *not* on the main download page, for the use of those that want to have NOOBS features for themselves or other people they help so that it doesn't confuse the real beginners is, I think, the way to go.

I would slightly favor an arrangement where one could download the "standard" offline NOOBS and then go to a supplemental page that would permit downloading add-on OSes so that one could build a semi-custom "NOOBS" card by the selective inclusion of hand picked OSes. That way, the choices could be even wider than they are now, since different groups could build packages of their chosen OS that would work with the core NOOBS download and make that package generally available. But those addons should not be where a random new user is likely to download and install them by mistake.

Return to “Beginners”