Solarfreak

Apple keyboard does not produce correct chars

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi,
I am new to the RPi-World. I would like to use my RaspberryPi (Model B) with an Apple keyboard Model M2452 ( QWERTY - it came with a MAC G4) but it does not produce some characters such as '@' and the various brackets '[' , ']', '}' and '{'. I had set it up in the init-procedure to the 'Macintoh-option'. How can I set up the software (for use with Raspbian) such that I also get the important chars correctly? This is how the keyboard looks like:
> http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=app ... edIndex=23 <
I found in the internet:
> http://www.raspberry-pi.co.uk/2012/06/0 ... keyboards/ <
a list of Apple keyboard and that models A1048 and A1243 are compatible with the RPi. I hope that this does not mean, that my keyboard can not be made compatible.

DougieLawson

Re: Apple keyboard does not produce correct chars

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 pm

sudo raspi-config
You need to set your internationalisation options. The Raspberry Pi defaults to a UK keyboard and GMT/UTC as the timezone. If your keyboard isn't getting the right characters you need to set your alien characteristics using raspi-config.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Solarfreak

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:56 am

I have done all this and I still can not produce the special brackets "[, ], {, }. I gave up at this point and got myself a HP-keyboard with all the special keys. From left to right:
Strg, a key with 3 curved lines, Alt, spacebar, Alt Gr, a key with 3 curved lines, a key with a document, another Strg-key. I chose keyboard option HP SK-250x (on the back of the HP keyboard it shows "Model SK-2502U").
Finally I found that with Alt Gr-8 I got '[' - Halleluja. However, I still do not know how I can work the raspi from my powerbook-keyboard.

When booting I observed a warning:
"kernel lacks cgroups or memory controller not available, not starting cgroups (warning)".
I can not imagine, that it has to do with the keyboard problem but it makes me nervous anyway.
I am using a 32 Gb SD_Card. but I get the same warning also with a preinstalled 8 Gb raspi-SD-Card.

WHILE I am at it. I can not 'shutdown'.
When I use 'sudo shutdown now' it goes through the shutdown procedures but reports at the end:
"root account is locked, starting shell" and I end up with what I believe is the 'root shell'
I have tried -P and other shutdown-options but my only option sofar is "to pull the plug".

klricks

Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:47 pm

In raspi-config, select one of the generic keyboards eg. 101. 104
More importantly you must properly complete the next menus and choose the country for keyboard. If in US you must choose: English (US).
When done you must reboot the RPi to apply changes.

Ignore the kernel lacks cgroups or..........

The proper shutdown syntax is:

reboot:
sudo shutdown -r now

halt:
sudo shutdown -h now
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Solarfreak

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:04 pm

thanks, now I can cleanly exit with 'sudo shutdown -h'. I really don't know, why it did not work before? Maybe I miss-typed or forgot the 'sudo'. Also the HP-keyboard is working correctly. Remains the problem of addressing my raspi via LAN from my MAC. Will study using RSS. Will I have the problem of having to install a second user because of the second (different) keyboard or can I easily swap between two different keyboards in one and the same user account?

Re the warning "cgroups not loading" will follow your advice - but in such a situation I do not feel comfortable, if I don't know what it means.

Return to “Beginners”