RDK

Issues Installing Tomcat

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:12 am

Folks.....Tried installing Tomcat7 yesterday - very frustrating experience after several other installs that were quick and easy! Running Raspbian OS.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tomcat7
After installing, it tried to start Tomcat7 and failed as JAVA_HOME was not defined. Java is installed as I checked for the version and it is the version which comes with Raspbian.

After searching the web for how to set JAVA_HOME and finding several conflicting processes I finally got it defined.

Now I needed to find the command for starting Tomcat7. "But where is the install directory with the Startup.sh script?" I asked myself. After significant searching I finally found it (/usr/share/tomcat7/bin/startup.sh). I ran that startup command and the Pi complained about no "log" folder. I added that folder and tried again.

Success I thought, but the web app at port 901 did not come up - bad words. I looked into the log file and found no server.xml file at /usr/share/tomcat7/conf/server.xml found errors. Interesting as the install puts that file at /etc/tomcat7/server.xml.

At this point I quit.

Can someone please suggest what I did wrong, starting with the JAVA_HOME not being define and continuing to the Server.xml file issue?

Thanks....RDK

DougieLawson

Re: Issues Installing Tomcat

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Is there a script to start it in /etc/init.d/ ?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Beginners”