MacsandaPi
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:56 pm

DougieLawson wrote:The version is "version of NOOBS" not the version of the installed OS.

The installed OS is "Raspbian Wheezy v7" as reported by cat /etc/os-release

Code: Select all

PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="7"
VERSION="7 (wheezy)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
The kernel & firmware versions are reported by uname -r (or uname -a) and vcgencmd version commands.
This is helpful; thanks.

jamkirbs
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:38 am

So that is the reason why it doesnt have the Raspbmc? So how can i install raspbmc? Where can i download it?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20900
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:46 am

jamkirbs wrote:So that is the reason why it doesnt have the Raspbmc? So how can i install raspbmc? Where can i download it?
If you have a internet connection via ethernet cable NOBS will offer to download/install other Operating Systems


or do not use NOBS http://www.raspbmc.com/download
Retired disgracefully.....

craigrodgers
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been asked, or is a daft question, but im new to Raspberry Pi, and have a quick question.

I have bought the kit with a NOOBS SD card (which I think I may have accidentally wiped when I formatted it) I then re-downloaded NOOBS onto the card, put it into my PI, and booted it. I am only looking to use it for XBMC/KODI, so was looking to run "openlec" op system, it shows on the list, but doesn't seem to be on the card (if that makes sense), and when I select it, my screen just goes off.

Can anyone help or advise what I need to be doing, or where i'm going wrong?

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10484
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:50 pm

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
^ get the image from there if you only want to use it as a media centre on that card use another card for raspbain ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

craigrodgers
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks for that. I'm not sure which one im supposed to choose for my raspberry pi b+
Can you tell me which to go for?

User avatar
Mequa
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:54 pm
Location: England
Contact: Website

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:47 am

RaTTuS wrote:http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
^ get the image from there if you only want to use it as a media centre on that card use another card for raspbain ;)
Having done a recent install with NOOBS (lite edition), I discovered there is now an updated OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi 2 available on NOOBS! Ready to download and install right from the Pi with a freshly flashed NOOBS image on the micro-SD. I successfully got it installed alongside Raspbian on a single 32GB micro-SD card on my RPi2. :D

There is also an updated OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi 1 available on NOOBS.

kevwil
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:41 pm

The download (zip) link for the latest 1.4.0 version of NOOBS seems to be broken, I get a 404 error.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36306
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:26 pm

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

SherlockPi
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:47 am

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:03 am

Hello,

A newbie to RasPi ! I have installed Raspbian on SD card. When I connect it to a HDMI display I can see the RasPi boot and stop at config screen. I am not having a USB keyboard as of now. I am trying to connect using SSH, I connect the RasPi to my laptop using ethernet cable but cannot see any IP assigned to RasPi when I do ifconfig. Is it required that at least once the RasPi should be booted normally and then we can use SSH? I am using RasPi 2.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20900
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:12 am

SherlockPi wrote:Hello,

A newbie to RasPi ! I have installed Raspbian on SD card. When I connect it to a HDMI display I can see the RasPi boot and stop at config screen. I am not having a USB keyboard as of now. I am trying to connect using SSH, I connect the RasPi to my laptop using ethernet cable but cannot see any IP assigned to RasPi when I do ifconfig. Is it required that at least once the RasPi should be booted normally and then we can use SSH? I am using RasPi 2.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... /README.md
Retired disgracefully.....

SherlockPi
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:47 am

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:00 pm

@fruitoftheloom

Thank you for the link! But I am not able to see the ip address generated for pi (when I do config) . During normal boot on screen I can see that the boot stops at the config screen (as this is first time boot) can ssh be used for first time boot itself ? (I have connected the pi to my laptop using Ethernet )

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20900
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:06 pm

SherlockPi wrote:@fruitoftheloom

Thank you for the link! But I am not able to see the ip address generated for pi (when I do config) . During normal boot on screen I can see that the boot stops at the config screen (as this is first time boot) can ssh be used for first time boot itself ? (I have connected the pi to my laptop using Ethernet )
What has your question to do with the Original Post regards versions of Noobs & Raspbian etc :?:

Though this recent post may be more relevant to your issue http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 3&t=103120
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....

SherlockPi
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:47 am

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:08 pm

I am using Raspbian and posted this in beginners section. Should the question go to a different forum?

SherlockPi
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:47 am

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:10 pm

Oops it's just new release of Noobs and raspbian ! Got that will post in correct forum!

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20900
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:12 pm

SherlockPi wrote:I am using Raspbian and posted this in beginners section. Should the question go to a different forum?
No you hijacked an existing thread ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

Killertechno
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 am

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi guys, I've seen there are updated OS images.
Where can I find changelog for various images?
I can't understand differences between Raspbian and Noobs...

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20900
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Killertechno wrote:Hi guys, I've seen there are updated OS images.
Where can I find changelog for various images?
I can't understand differences between Raspbian and Noobs...
https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs
Retired disgracefully.....

Rasilon
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:05 pm

Mequa wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
^ get the image from there if you only want to use it as a media centre on that card use another card for raspbain ;)
Having done a recent install with NOOBS (lite edition), I discovered there is now an updated OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi 2 available on NOOBS! Ready to download and install right from the Pi with a freshly flashed NOOBS image on the micro-SD. I successfully got it installed alongside Raspbian on a single 32GB micro-SD card on my RPi2. :D

There is also an updated OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi 1 available on NOOBS.
how did you install it alongside raspbian?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20900
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Rasilon wrote:
Mequa wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
^ get the image from there if you only want to use it as a media centre on that card use another card for raspbain ;)
Having done a recent install with NOOBS (lite edition), I discovered there is now an updated OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi 2 available on NOOBS! Ready to download and install right from the Pi with a freshly flashed NOOBS image on the micro-SD. I successfully got it installed alongside Raspbian on a single 32GB micro-SD card on my RPi2. :D

There is also an updated OpenELEC for Raspberry Pi 1 available on NOOBS.
how did you install it alongside raspbian?
When you first boot the NOOBS installer / chooser with an active internet connection via ethernet, you will have a choice of not just Raspbian but other OSes, which is all covered in various guides such as:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Beginners”