PeterO

New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:55 am

Appologies if this has been posted before, but I've not seen any mention of this here in the forums ... so....
New Versions of NOOBS NOOS-LITE (2014-09-12) and RASPBIAN (2014-09-09) available

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

sander2

Re: New releases of NOOBS & Raspbian

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:55 pm

... and NOOBS release notes are here:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/re ... ag/v1.3.10
v1.3.10 Release
Andrew Scheller lurch released this 3 days ago

Minor release

NOOBS now only includes Raspbian by default, other distros can be network-installed. This makes NOOBS usable on 4GB cards again (fixes #176 )
Updated firmware so autoboot.txt works again (fixes #195 )
Silentinstall no longer crashes with Ethernet connected (fixes #120 )
Online help now goes to http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/ instead of the forums
No duplicate icons in OS-list if different versions of an OS are present on the SD card and the Internet (enhanced version of fix for #106 )
Don't display "install source" icon (i.e. SD or network) next to an OS if that source is currently unavailable (see #143 for an explanation)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:27 pm

This latest version of NOOBS (1.3.10) only includes Raspbian, not any of the other OS's, so in essence its almost like NOOBS lite, except that the real NOOBS lite comes with NO included OS's! Other OS's now can only be installed with a life network access running on the PI!

Also, since the release of the second generation PI 2B, you need new releases of NOOBS and Raspbian, released after the launch of the PI2B.

If you have a card with raspbian that boots correctly on your old PI, but doesn't boot on the PI2, (gets stuck at the "rainbow screen") the following procedure should result in a card that also works on a PI2

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
[/size]

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:37 pm

moved to "beginners", and made a sticky, so new users are hopefully made aware.

Monti

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:06 pm

I see there is a new release of NOOBS. How do I updated my existing NOOBS on my Raspberry Pi? Thanks!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Ben Nuttal wrote this in the blog:
You can update the system and packages with

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update

This will update your kernel and all the packages you have installed. For example if your image had Sonic Pi v1 installed, the package will be updated to v2.

For packages which are *new* to the image, like Minecraft and the browser, you’ll have to explicitly install them, e.g.

sudo apt-get install minecraft-pi
sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser

Alternatively you can re-image your card, or if it’s a NOOBS card, hold shift down on boot to get the NOOBS screen, select the option to install Raspbian over the network and it will replace your existing installation with an updated clean one. Note your files and customisations will not be kept so you’d have to back them up first.

Monti

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Huge help. thank you so much.

j CIS237

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Helps a lot.
Saved already.
Thanks a lot.

pcote_pi

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:33 am

Allo,

Could you be more specific on how install another OS such that it is added to the start up boot menu. Some mention that you need a network connection. Does that mean that the PI needs to be connected to the net via a cable and the boot menu will provide the tools to add OSs for multi-boot?

I have tried many searches without success.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:16 am

pcote_pi wrote:Allo,

Could you be more specific on how install another OS such that it is added to the start up boot menu. Some mention that you need a network connection. Does that mean that the PI needs to be connected to the net via a cable and the boot menu will provide the tools to add OSs for multi-boot?

I have tried many searches without success.
Yes you need to have an internet connection via ethernet and when Noobs booted for the first time you can add additional Operating Systems for install..

Please be aware that after initial install you can not add / remove Operating Systems without starting all over again
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Wheel_nut

Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:41 pm

This is a plea for a simple on-liner to be added to the NOOBS Setup page to alert the user to the CHANGE in the distro with Version 1.3.10 which only distributes Raspbian in the Download.

Under the Header First Boot between instruction 1 and 2, it should say "If you want to install other Operating Systems in addition to Raspbian. Ensure that your Raspberry Pi is connected to the Internet by an ETHERNET Cable.

This would save a lot of us from the pitfall that other OSs cannot be added later.

Dragon Pi

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Hello, Raw n00b here.
I have the Pi up and running, well, my Kid (teenager) is playing Minecraft on it now, but he is impressed, and I want all of them to get interested.

Anyway, I have a fear of one of them doing "I-dunno-it-just-stoped-working", as you know they can...

So I have spare micro-sd card, 1gb I think, and an SD to USB card reader.
So creating a backup of the operating system is quite a good idea....
But whilst I am at it, creating a new version of the latest update?...
Whats the simplest method of downloading the latest update to that spare card, can it be done via the Raspberry without troubling the existing running O/S, straight to that card, if I just plug it into one of the USB slots on the thing, do I need to format the card first etc....

I could do that in windows, I know, but then I dont learn anything do I?.. I want to learn the command line language needed to do that without having to use another machine?...
Trying not to fly faster than my guardian angel.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:58 pm

To download an image you need 900MB for the zip file and 3GB for the expanded version. You won't have that amount of space free on a RPi booted from an 8GB NOBS card.

You can use a USB SDCard reader to copy a running system as long as the target SDCard is at least as big as the running card.
Open a root terminal with sudo -i
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sda bs=30M &
it'll take a long time (couple of hours).

So do the downloads on Windows.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Dragon Pi

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Post by DougieLawson » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:58 pm
To download an image you need 900MB for the zip file and 3GB for the expanded version. You won't have that amount of space free on a RPi booted from an 8GB NOBS card.

You can use a USB SDCard reader to copy a running system as long as the target SDCard is at least as big as the running card.
Open a root terminal with sudo -i
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/sda bs=30M &
it'll take a long time (couple of hours).

So do the downloads on Windows.
Thanks for that.
I therefore have a problem...
The SD card I have that I thought would do the trick is ONE gigabyte in size.....
So bloomin' useless?

I am reading the rest of the forum, and from your post and what is said elsewhere, I gather that the recommended sort of size for the SD card to use to create a whole new o/s would be about 8gb, to give some spare space?... is that about right?
The RPi I got had that noobs card and that is 8 gig, I am intending on creating a "backup" separate plug-and-go O/S "just in case"
Is there an upper size limit on the card size?.. as in my DSLR camera will only read a car up to 8gb in size, I have a 16gb card and it doesnt like it at all.....

I will need to go to the hardware store, so getting it right fast time [typo intended]is probably a good idea?...

Thanks again for your help, being a raw n00b is strange for me, so I am putting this in bookmarks to get back to when I have the right card.

Dragon Pi

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Ahh.. New problem....
I am using Windows, I have downloaded the latest release zip file, and try to extract it.
It gets about a third of the way and "stalls".
I then get "Not responding"
Ok, so this old windows rig is dual AMD processor 4400 with 3gb ram, but I know it can unzip files quite easily.
I have deleted and re-downloaded the file, same problem....

Anyone know anything?...

I am going to try a CCleaner to remove temp files and crud to see if that helps .

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:37 pm

The SDCard may appear to be the wrong size because it has more than one partition.

To get a true picture use sudo fdisk -l and you'll see all of the partitions.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Dragon Pi

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:47 pm

No it only is one gig in size.....
Its one I had hanging about "spare".
I have some new ones on order, they will get amazoned here soon I hope.

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Dragon Pi wrote:No it only is one gig in size.....
Its one I had hanging about "spare".
I have some new ones on order, they will get amazoned here soon I hope.
1GB isn't big enough for NOOBS. Minimum size is 4GB.

MacsandaPi

Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:53 am

An excerpt from Clive Beale's recent Blog post (http://www.raspberrypi.org/merry-christ ... -a-new-pi/) says, "The most important thing is to make sure that you have the latest version of our New Out Of Box Software (NOOBS). You can check this by starting your Raspberry Pi – here’s Carrie Anne to tell you more." But the link to Carrie Anne doesn't explain how you can check the NOOBS version...so, how do you check the version of NOOBS by starting the Pi?

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:15 am

When it boots there is some version info (NOOBS is v1.3.10 even with Raspbian v1.3.11) displayed on the screen.

MacsandaPi

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:25 am

DougieLawson wrote:When it boots there is some version info (NOOBS is v1.3.10 even with Raspbian v1.3.11) displayed on the screen.
Thanks for your reply. When I reboot, the loading information scrolls by so quickly that I can't see any reference to NOOBS (or anything else). However, if I go to the recovery screen (invoked during startup by holding down the Shift key), the version of NOOBS is shown at the top of the menu.

Dragon Pi

Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:22 am

Dragon Pi wrote:Ahh.. New problem....
I am using Windows, I have downloaded the latest release zip file, and try to extract it.
It gets about a third of the way and "stalls".
I then get "Not responding"
Ok, so this old windows rig is dual AMD processor 4400 with 3gb ram, but I know it can unzip files quite easily.
I have deleted and re-downloaded the file, same problem....

Anyone know anything?...

I am going to try a CCleaner to remove temp files and crud to see if that helps .
Just to note, I re-loaded that whole file after a temp file and junk clean, and tried again.
Again it "stalled" about a third of the way through extracting.
I was busy editing something else, so just left it to see what would happen, and watched its progress through Process Explorer....
It was doing "Something".
It just took its time.
For anyone else, its not a quick extraction if using any average zip file extraction tool....
If you have the same problem, try the Just leave it alone, it will work its way out eventually?....

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:02 pm

MacsandaPi wrote:An excerpt from Clive Beale's recent Blog post (http://www.raspberrypi.org/merry-christ ... -a-new-pi/) says, "The most important thing is to make sure that you have the latest version of our New Out Of Box Software (NOOBS). You can check this by starting your Raspberry Pi – here’s Carrie Anne to tell you more." But the link to Carrie Anne doesn't explain how you can check the NOOBS version...so, how do you check the version of NOOBS by starting the Pi?
If you want to check the NOOBS version without booting/installing AIUI that info. is within the "BUILD-DATA" (text) file which should be seen by a Windows box, as shown for a pre-installed NOOBS card here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... he_Card.3F
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

MacsandaPi

Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:42 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
MacsandaPi wrote:An excerpt from Clive Beale's recent Blog post (http://www.raspberrypi.org/merry-christ ... -a-new-pi/) says, "The most important thing is to make sure that you have the latest version of our New Out Of Box Software (NOOBS). You can check this by starting your Raspberry Pi – here’s Carrie Anne to tell you more." But the link to Carrie Anne doesn't explain how you can check the NOOBS version...so, how do you check the version of NOOBS by starting the Pi?
If you want to check the NOOBS version without booting/installing AIUI that info. is within the "BUILD-DATA" (text) file which should be seen by a Windows box, as shown for a pre-installed NOOBS card here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... he_Card.3F
Trev.
Thank you! The NOOBS version is indeed shown in that file. However, I note that the version identified in the file is different from the one on the Raspberry Pi Downloads page. The NOOBS version on that page is 1.3.11. I downloaded from that source, but the BUILD-DATA file shows it as 1.3.10. The downloaded BUILD-DATA file also says "Updated on 2014-12-24 with a newer version Raspbian."

Now, I'm wondering why the NOOBS versions are different...and also, how to identify the version of Raspbian that I've installed. This is just to satisfy curiosity; as far as I can tell, the NOOBS installation is working without problems.

DougieLawson

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:00 pm

The version is "version of NOOBS" not the version of the installed OS.

The installed OS is "Raspbian Wheezy v7" as reported by cat /etc/os-release

Code: Select all

PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="7"
VERSION="7 (wheezy)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
The kernel & firmware versions are reported by uname -r (or uname -a) and vcgencmd version commands.

Return to “Beginners”