Caótico Fanegas

Setting up a Torrent box

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm setting up my Raspberry Pi to work as a headless torrent box, and I'm having some trouble putting it into service.

I've read a lot about a certain bug on the kernel that, since the Pi's ethernet and USB interfaces share the same bus, makes the Pi when having heavy use, just like a torrent client would cause.

I have also read about a lot of people who finally managed to solve it, but I could find a single post where I'd learn everything about how to make it work, like what image did they use, what did they needed to tweak it, what client did they use, did they have to set any special configuration option on it, like download/upload speed limits, or something... just scattered info about kernel patches, tuned up Wheezy imgages, but never a full explanation.

What I've tried so far, is to use a tweaked Debian Wheezy image (http://www.linuxsystems.it/2012/06/debi ... mal-image/) with a custom kernel which should solve the problem, and the Transmission-daemon client with the web interface. This image made the server run for a few longer (a couple hours instead of a few minutes) but it ended up causing a kernel panic like the "official" Squeeze image.

Please, could anyone tell us his experiences with torrents and Raspberry Pi? If we manage to find a definitive solution to this issue, I'll compile a guide to correctly install and configure a Raspberry Pi, and publish it here and a wiki page about this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Caótico Fanegas

Re: Setting up a Torrent box

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Sorry, I meant that this bug makes the Pi freeze when having a heavy use.

My bad

declutter

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Most of the discussion on this topic seems to be here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =36&t=6958

Caótico Fanegas

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah, that's been my main reference guide up to now.

The thing is, there is a lot of fragments of info from many people, but not a single one specifying it's full configuration, from the initial .img to the torrent client configuration used. I'd like to get as many "full reports" about working systems so I can identify the common parts, test them on my system and make a full guide and a SD image.

Thanks everyone.

guisacouto

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:01 pm

It's not just a problem with the ethernet vs the external usb storage... if a problem with every device that tries to access the usb bus for something competing with another device.

There are reports of:
- people downloading to the sd card and having problems.
- downloading to an external hd and having problems
- downloading from wifi to external hd and having problems (my case)

MisterAlex

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:02 pm

I haven't settled on any particular application for my Pi--just been messing around with different things, but a NAS torrent client has crossed my mind...

Have y'all tried using the Pi to interface between a NAS and your tracker/peers? Rather than trying to connect storage directly to the Pi via a USB port, I mean. This would mean your ONLY point of I/O would be the Ethernet port (assuming remote control from another machine).

guisacouto

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Interesting idea. Haven't tried it thought, since I don't have a NAS. But it might work.. (but normally if you already have a NAS, why don't just use it as a torrent client.. most of them are able to do that, and you avoid having two devices on and the unnecessary network traffic of redirecting what you're downloading in the pi to the NAS).

enzoweb

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14 am

I have a NAS attached to my network, a DLINK DNS323. I mounted the drive using this guide:
http://stuffaboutcode.blogspot.com.au/2 ... share.html

Although I didn't need to install samba or cifs , because cifs is already there.

All I did was create a directory (sudo mkdir /mnt/volume_1) then this in the fstab:

//192.168.1.1/Volume_1 /mnt/volume_1 cifs rw,_netdev,user=<username>,password=<password> 0 0

Then a sudo mount -a

It works, but I'm having the same freezing problem when downloading.

Alvaro

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 am

This worked for me: Just start at the part where you install rtorrent.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... it=seedbox

Return to “Beginners”