default_user8

Re: Issue with WD My Passport 2To

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 pm

Finally had a chance to get that picture for you.
Attachments
IMG_20140908_172801.jpg
IMG_20140908_172801.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 738 times
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

toldcodger

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:38 pm

I recently bought a 2Tb WD My Passport drive. I had full access on a Win 10 laptop and I could access the drive and open folders when I connected it to the Raspberry Pi, but I could not create folders or files. Nor could I paste or move anything on to the drive.

I reformatted it as vfat from the Pi and it now works perfectly. When I reformatted it I had to put quotes around the drive name to umount it because it was called My Passport. Could the space in the name have been the cause of the problem ?
You should always keep the prime objective in mind.
However, when you’re up to your ass in alligators, it’s hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp. :D

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:00 pm

toldcodger wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:38 pm
I recently bought a 2Tb WD My Passport drive. I had full access on a Win 10 laptop and I could access the drive and open folders when I connected it to the Raspberry Pi, but I could not create folders or files. Nor could I paste or move anything on to the drive.

I reformatted it as vfat from the Pi and it now works perfectly. When I reformatted it I had to put quotes around the drive name to umount it because it was called My Passport. Could the space in the name have been the cause of the problem ?
It was more likely the file system, and needing to install some additional packages to Raspbian (or the way it was mounted).

If your intention is just to use it with Raspbian, then you'd be better off formatting it with the Linux ext4 file system. If you want to be able to move it back and forth between a Windows PC and your Pi computers, then using NTFS or exFAT would be better than FAT32 (due to file size limits of FAT32). To use NTFS and exFAT you will need to install additional packages (sudo apt install ntfs-3g exfat-fuse exfat-utils).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

toldcodger

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks. I’ll remember that if I need to reformat it.
You should always keep the prime objective in mind.
However, when you’re up to your ass in alligators, it’s hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp. :D

Return to “Beginners”