Dayna

Advice and help with dimmable UltraBright RGB LED

Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm getting ready to buy a Raspberry Pi Ultimate Starter Kit. I'm also thinking about ordering the book Raspberry Pi User Guide, 2nd Edition with it. I've also been watching videos.

A project that I have in mind is making a dimmable UltraBright RGB LED using a sliding pot for dimming and a switch to turn on/off a flicker for the and maybe get some sound fx to play and make it scalable by maybe using mini connectors. It has been 10 years since I've done anything with electronics, but I kept my soldering skills up. So I'm looking for advice and or guides that can help me. I do appreciate any help that I could get.

Thank you,
Dayna

Duane Degn

Re: Advice and help with dimmable UltraBright RGB LED

Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Is there a particular reason you want to use a Raspberry Pi to do this and not a microcontroller?

If you want to learn to use the Raspberry Pi, then great use the Pi, but if you're learning to use the Pi just so you can control the RGB LED then IMO, you're making your project more difficult than it needs to be.

An import bit of information is what LED to you intend to use? There isn't software for the RPi to control some individually addressable RGB LEDs (WS2812).

I'm a fan of RGB LEDs myself and I have some videos of various LED projects. I'm still to the R Pi so none of them use the R Pi as the controller (yet).

More information about which RGB LED you want to control will help others make appropriate suggestions on how to control it.

Dayna

Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:15 pm

I'll definitely check out the videos. I think that I want to use to where I can learn Pi and later look at adding new features. Maybe a IR controller and a touch panel.

Duane Degn

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:45 pm

In order to use a pot with a Raspberry Pi, you will probably want some sort of analog to digital converter (ADC), alternately you could use an encoder as an input device which could be read directly by the RPi.

This encoder could be fun. You could have the Pi control the LEDs on the encoder to indicate the color displayed on the UltraBright LED. If you control the LEDs directly with the Pi, you want to make sure and use current limiting resistors to keep the current limited to 16mA or less.

Richard-TX

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:45 pm

The best way to dim a LED is to PWM modulate it. You can muck with the PWM output of the Rpi or get a Adafruit controller.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Return to “Beginners”