DavisP7

Wish list

Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:06 am

Hi my name is Davis and I'm getting my first rasperry pi and I want to make a simple computer. Is this amazon wish list enough to get me started? This list: https://www.amazon.com/registry/wishli ... tb0KAE4D3

A1i2T3R

Re: Wish list

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:33 am

Yes that should be ok, however i would recommend a normal keyboard but that one would work i think,.
Enthusiastic pi user, with a hoby for modding everyday objects and using the pi as the brain!

RaTTuS

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am

peronally I'd use a proper keyboard , and a wired NIC - not wireless
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

drgeoff

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:36 am

It is not enough. :(

You are missing one vital ingredient. A micro-SD card.

A1i2T3R

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:43 am

RaTTuS wrote:peronally I'd use a proper keyboard , and a wired NIC - not wireless
wireless networking can be a bit awkward to set up and can be a bit slow so use Ethernet if at all possible. However if that is impossible for you (it is for me) just type in to the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
then paste this into it:

Code: Select all

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplugin wlan0
auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid "YOUR SSID"
        wpa-psk "YOUR PSK"
just changing in you ssid and psk (keep the speech marks)
Last edited by A1i2T3R on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enthusiastic pi user, with a hoby for modding everyday objects and using the pi as the brain!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:44 am

i'm a bit concerned about a wireless "keyboard", that also contains the mouse, it means the single USB dongle for the wireless (bluetooth) connection acts as to different USB devices at the same time, (one for mouse, and one for keyboard) and if the USB acts like a single USB device with two endpoints some trickery in the driver is needed for that. Alternatively the USB dongle could contain the equivalent of a "two port HUB", which means the normal USB stack works, and the PI sees two separate devices. It could work well, but iv'e seen situations where only the keyboard or only the mouse worked, without an specific driver for the device.

If they explicitly sell it for the PI, i assume it works though. ;)

A1i2T3R

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:50 am

mahjongg wrote:i'm a bit concerned about a wireless "keyboard", that also contains the mouse, it means the single USB dongle for the bluetooth connection acts as to different USB endpoints at the same time, (one for mouse, and one for keyboard) and some trickery in the driver is needed for that. Could work well, but iv'e seen situations where only the keyboard or only the mouse worked.

I think that it has been done however i assume it wouldn't be 'noob friendly' to do so. This video may supply some information about that keyboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E89s2h9swIc

pluggy

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:03 am

Lose the keyboard, irrespective of whether it works or not, its hideous. OK if you want to press 4 keys each time you pressed it I suppose. Or if you really like typing with a pencil............
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

gkreidl

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:08 am

mahjongg wrote:i'm a bit concerned about a wireless "keyboard", that also contains the mouse, it means the single USB dongle for the wireless (bluetooth) connection acts as to different USB devices at the same time, (one for mouse, and one for keyboard) and if the USB acts like a single USB device with two endpoints some trickery in the driver is needed for that. Alternatively the USB dongle could contain the equivalent of a "two port HUB", which means the normal USB stack works, and the PI sees two separate devices. It could work well, but iv'e seen situations where only the keyboard or only the mouse worked, without an specific driver for the device.

I've used 3 different wireless (RF, not Bluetooth) keyboard / mouse combos so far and they all worked well.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

AndrewS

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Can't believe no-one linked to http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83446 yet ;)

(and purely for comparison, have a look at http://swag.raspberrypi.org/collections ... tarter-kit )

DavisP7

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Ok so I read all of your posts and i agree i think that the mini keyboard will be really small for me, but i still want to make it wireless so I put a Logitech one in the list. I also added a micro sd card. Here is the list: http://amzn.com/w/Q70BKFMJW1T3
Is there another site that I could get all of this but for less?

drgeoff

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:40 pm

There is a fair chance that the pre-loaded NOOBS card will have software that is too old to work on your B+. If you want two cards, just by another blank one and put NOOBS on it yourself. And look at prices including shipping before choosing vendors.

(And beware there are a lot of fake SD cards around, espeially ones with 'Sandisk' on them.)

Douglas6

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:07 pm

It's not clear to me if that new Logitech keyboard can share the receiver with a mouse. You don't want to have to use another USB port for the mouse. The Logitech wireless (RF, not Bluetooth) keyboard / mouse I purchased as a pair, have a single receiver that works great with the Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 pm

I use this Laptop style keyboard / touchpad with my Pi it is RF ans seen as a low powered device..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keysonic-ACK-54 ... B002D117JW
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

lazarus78

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:38 pm

I use a Logitech K400 keyboard/mouse combo and it uses RF, not bluetooth, and it works perfectly well.

Return to “Beginners”