dmitriy

(solved) [No Video] - First Time Boot Issues Mac

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Guys...

Trying to stay calm while I look for answers, figured I'd turn to the boards and your support.

I just received my B+ Pi, I'm using a 64gig SanDisk Ultra Micro SD XC I:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH6JS

Downloaded the freshest install of the NOOBS file.

Formatted the card on my mac using the SDCARDS.org SD formatter (version 4) - with the overwrite option... takes a WHILE.

Copied the contents of the file into the folder, looks like the folder image in the troubleshooting guide.

I've tried multiple power supplies and usb wiring configurations before reading about the LED guide.

Currently, it does not matter how I have it connected. The Green and Red LEDs are solid.

I'm pretty sure this means the Pi can't find the OS.

I've reformatted 3 times, ate lots of pies, and lost lots of time.

I'm connected to a HP LP2065 with a HDMI to DVI cable.

I've tried with keyboard attached, hitting 1 and 2 for HDMI and HDMI safe mode - no luck.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy and yet here I am, 2nd day and still can't get to the boot screen.

Please help :)
Last edited by dmitriy on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff

Re: [No Video] - First Time Boot Issues (searched)

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:45 pm

dmitriy wrote: Copied the contents of the file into the folder, ...
If you really mean a folder on the SD card, that is where you problem is. The contents of the zip file MUST be at the top level (root) of the card.

If it isn't that, have you worked through the " Not booting (no video)? read this carefully" sticky by mahjongg?

Jim JKla

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Reccomend you get the 8Gig pre loaded from the RaspberryPi Swag if you can afford it get two this will give you a couple of cheap SD cards to play with while you find your feet 8gig takes a lot less time to format in fact if you realy want some play time find an old 4gig and load it with Wheezy and have a good dig around at the command line stuff. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

dmitriy

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Ah sorry. I meant, copied the contents of the zip into the root directory of the SD card.

Yes, I've been through the troubleshooting a couple times.

It's a wall of text so there could be a chance I missed something.

After reading that post the first time I realized formatting through the mac app was not appropriate so I downloaded the SD Card utility.

I also tried booting with nothing besides power connected, with and without SD - nothing changes.

Really hoping this is user error as I read that all units are tested before being sent out.

I'm ordering the preloaded 8gig card right now, I'd like to keep looking for answers if anyone else has ideas.

Thanks!

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Get the Raspbian image from: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest and unzip it to an *.img file on your Mac.

Follow the instructions at: http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ges/mac.md to copy that *.img file to your SDCard.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Jim JKla

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Better still stick it on a small card save your big card for when you find your feet.
You should be playing while you are waiting. ;)
But Dougie is right Rasbian is a good image.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

dmitriy

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:05 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Get the Raspbian image from: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest and unzip it to an *.img file on your Mac.

Follow the instructions at: http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ges/mac.md to copy that *.img file to your SDCard.
Excellent advice Dougie - that took care of it.

I think this should be updated to the sticky for mac users.

AndrewS

Re: (solved) [No Video] - First Time Boot Issues Mac

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:23 am

The problem is that according to "the specs" any SD card over 32GB has to be an "SDXC card" and be formatted to exFAT instead of FAT32. So that's what the official SD Formatter tool always does whenever it sees a 64GB (or larger) SD card (edit: and there's no way to get round this!).
But the Pi can only boot from FAT16 or FAT32 partitions... :|

So the "fix" is to use some other tool to actually wipe out the exFAT partition and create a 'normal' FAT32 partition, and then NOOBS will work in the Pi.
Now that 64GB cards are getting more common, one of the things on my todo-list is to try to come up with some fool-proof instructions for doing this... (see https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/pull/88 )

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:47 am

In the mantime recomend SD cards bellow 32G for Noobs wanting an easy life a tidy & Noob easy version of what to do, put on a page in the old Wiki so it's easy to point at.

A heads up to the primary responders and Mods that we all sing from the same hymn sheet.

So that we can give a standard response and not get flaky when we see lots of this question popping up. ;)

@AndrewS Good catch. ;)

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm

AndrewS wrote:The problem is that according to "the specs" any SD card over 32GB has to be an "SDXC card" and be formatted to exFAT instead of FAT32. So that's what the official SD Formatter tool always does whenever it sees a 64GB (or larger) SD card (edit: and there's no way to get round this!).
But the Pi can only boot from FAT16 or FAT32 partitions... :|
So the "fix" is to use some other tool to actually wipe out the exFAT partition and create a 'normal' FAT32 partition, and then NOOBS will work in the Pi.
Now that 64GB cards are getting more common, one of the things on my todo-list is to try to come up with some fool-proof instructions for doing this... (see https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/pull/88 )
Hmmm... interesting info. I wonder if it's "parallel" to the one associated with trying to write (properly) to SDHC cards >4Gb in a card slot on an "oldish" netbook, notebook etc. that might not be SDHC compatible. My earliest (4Gb) SDHC cards were supplied with a USB-stick card reader/writer because newer, SDHC compatible devices were going to be "rolled out" into camera's & 'phones first, IIRC. Ironically I've not yet seen a netbook, notebook ... marked as SDHC compatible and my newest camera is marked SDXC.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

AndrewS

Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:33 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
AndrewS wrote:The problem is that according to "the specs" any SD card over 32GB has to be an "SDXC card" and be formatted to exFAT instead of FAT32.
Hmmm... interesting info. I wonder if it's "parallel" to the one associated with trying to write (properly) to SDHC cards >4Gb in a card slot on an "oldish" netbook, notebook etc. that might not be SDHC compatible.
Yup, exactly. Official specs say that cards <= 2GB are "SD" and always formatted as FAT16, cards > 2GB and <= 32GB are "SDHC" and always formatted as FAT32, and cards > 32GB are "SDXC" and always formatted as exFAT.
And going from SD -> SDHC -> SDXC also adds extra interfaces / access modes at the electrical level, allowing faster transfer speeds (hence the need for newer card readers).

All AUIU, of course!

drgeoff

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:36 pm

Just to confuse matters there were 4 Gbyte SD cards. I have one working fine in a Dell X50v PDA which definitely does not support 4 Gbyte SDHC cards. But such 4 Gbyte SD cards were never compliant in the eyes of the SD Card Association.

Shoka

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:22 pm

What is the implication of using fdisk to break that 64G card down into smaller partitions.

I'm not clear how well things like wear levelling will work if you broke that sd card into say a small fat partition and a couple of Linux file system de jour partitions mounted as /root and /home.
Cheers Harry

AndrewS

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Wear-levelling operates "inside" the SD-card (below the filesystem layer), and thus partitioning has no affect on it at all. The wear-levelling algorithms just see blocks of binary data, with no knowledge of what they are, or what partitions they're on, etc. etc. :geek:

Return to “Beginners”