RaspberryPiPerson111

Raspberry Pi No Internet Connection

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:05 pm

I am completely new to Raspberry Pi so please forgive me if I have made a stupid mistake but I am seriously having trouble connecting to the internet on Pi.

I have Raspbian OS installed on an 8gb card, have an ethernet cable hooked up to my macbook (which has an internet connection). However, I first figured out I did not have an internet connection when I tried to type the sudo apt-get update command and received error messages. I then tried to ping google.com where it then said unknown host.

I was able to ping my laptop and received some sort of messages back. I believe though that the Pi is not actually connected to the internet since I am unable to use the apt-get or ping functions on the Pi. If anyone has had the same problem please let me know as I am completely in the dark as to what the issue may be.

Thanks so much,
Ian

drgeoff

Re: Raspberry Pi No Internet Connection

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:33 pm

I put the words "raspberry pi mac internet" into Google and up came http://www.stephenwhite.eu/index.php/po ... et+via+Mac

I can't vouch for it though as I'm not a Mac user.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:39 pm

RaspberryPiPerson111 wrote:I am completely new to Raspberry Pi so please forgive me if I have made a stupid mistake but I am seriously having trouble connecting to the internet on Pi.

I have Raspbian OS installed on an 8gb card, have an ethernet cable hooked up to my macbook (which has an internet connection). However, I first figured out I did not have an internet connection when I tried to type the sudo apt-get update command and received error messages. I then tried to ping google.com where it then said unknown host.

I was able to ping my laptop and received some sort of messages back. I believe though that the Pi is not actually connected to the internet since I am unable to use the apt-get or ping functions on the Pi. If anyone has had the same problem please let me know as I am completely in the dark as to what the issue may be.

Thanks so much,
Ian
Depending on the version of Mac OS or OSX you need to set up internet connection sharing, this is for Mavericks

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13855
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

RaspberryPiPerson111

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Great!

Thanks for the prompt replies. I am currently not posting this on the computer I am using with my raspberry pi but I will try and see if I have sharing disabled. If I have sharing enabled and the problem persists, what might it be then?

RaspberryPiPerson111

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Yup! That was the problem, haha thanks so much for the help!

RaspberryPiPerson111

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Okay so I had the internet connection for a bit but when I went to reboot my Pi I lost it. My sharing is still enabled on my Mac. Does anyone know what could be the issue?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:57 pm

RaspberryPiPerson111 wrote:Okay so I had the internet connection for a bit but when I went to reboot my Pi I lost it. My sharing is still enabled on my Mac. Does anyone know what could be the issue?
Did you change networks settings on the Pi, by default it is a DHCP Client !
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Return to “Beginners”