jviyer

How is my pi booting to openbox ?

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:19 pm

I am trying to trace back and figure what I had done to get my rpi to boot into openbox session !!
my situation is: when I boot, at some point after it completes it launches the openbox (I see a gray screen where I right click &
open emulator window and go about using the pi).
I cannot recall what I did to get it to do this. I have searched rasp-config and also looked at "dmesg" output , but cannot see that last step on boot which starts it !
my problem is I just want to know !. how can I find out since I cant stop the boot steps to see the exact step where it is happening.
thanks,

DirkS

Re: How is my pi booting to openbox ?

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Maybe 'Enable boot to desktop' in raspi-config?

Gr.
Dirk.

klricks

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:37 pm

I only know this 'round about' way......
1. Make sure boot to desktop is enabled via raspi-config and reboot.
2. Edit lightdm.conf file:

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
Find autologin-user=pi and comment it out like this: #autologin-user=pi
3. Save and reboot the RPi

GUI will now pause and ask for username and password. (And it does give you ****** when typing your password).
4. On the login applet there is a pull down menu which will allow you to switch between LXDE and Openbox before logging in.

Clicking on the red power icon and choosing logout will take you back to the login applet.

Note that if you set boot to desktop again in raspi-conf then the lightdm.conf will revert back to default (no login to GUI)
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

jviyer

Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:26 am

I appreciate your responses.
The thing is that I am trying to recall the steps I did a few months ago to get me to automatically
boot to the openbox-session. I did not quite write it down.
my system does end up booting to the gray screen of the openbox and life is good. It is just that
I need to be able to experiment something else and still get back to this and I am trying to
retrace the settings that got me this behaviour in the first place so that I can revert back/

what does one normally change to run some stuff automatically after boot ? because thats what
I must have done.
I have looked at rcS, rc2/3/4/5/6, rc.local, init.d . but none of this runs anything that I would think will start an open
box session & does not seem like I changed any of these. so a bit puzzled.
thanks,

klricks

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:13 am

Don't know but if you do the steps I show above and set the default to Openbox, Then go back and edit the lightdm.conf file back to the way it was, the system will then autoboot into Openbox.
However you must reboot from terminal. sudo shutdown -r now....... If you do right-click menu and choose exit you will get the GUI login prompt again.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

r3d4

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:02 am

jviyer wrote:I appreciate your responses.
The thing is that I am trying to recall the steps I did a few months ago to get me to automatically
boot to the openbox-session. I did not quite write it down.
One option could be mounting and comparing the current setup state with a unaltered 'default' image , using some kind of diff tool to see what changed .
Real life is, to most, a long second-best, a perpetual compromise between the ideal and the possible.
-
Meanwhile, the sysadmin who accidentally nuked the data reckons "its best not run anything more with sudo today"
-
what about spike milligan?

Return to “Beginners”