thesynapseuk

No display on a VGA monitor

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:25 pm

I've posted in this thread already, but thought I may get more luck here actually:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =63&t=5049

I've got a recommended HDMI to VGA adapter so I can use my RPi on a 15"VGA monitor I have in my home office (as recommended in above thread). There is no DVI port on the monitor.

I've been messing around with various settings in config.txt - having read the wiki and several posts here, but have had no success to date.

I've tested the adapter from my laptop's HDMI port and it works fine. Nothing wrong with the adapter.

RPi works okay when connected HDMI to HDMI to my massive TV in the lounge (not ideal for tinkering or long-term usage!).

How can I get my RPi to display on a VGA monitor?

Any help would be most appreciated.

HOD

Re: No display on a VGA monitor

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 pm

I had a similar problem getting VGA output via a HMDI converter until I got it working with the following /boot/config.txt file:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=0x10
#disable_overscan=1

(the overscan doesn't appear to matter?)

thesynapseuk

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Many thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work.

I posted about this problem in another thread and several suggestions all didn't work.

It troubles me that it would be so difficult to get the RPi working with a simple VGA monitor. There's bound to be a lot of these around that kids/others could scavenge for the display, and yet I've found nothing but pain and annoyance with it so far.

I really hope that this is something that gets sorted very soon in future iterations of the device. It's not a lot of good Ian Livingstone saying, "Give one to every kid in the UK" when half of those kids won't be able to get a picture on it!

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm

thesynapseuk wrote:I really hope that this is something that gets sorted very soon in future iterations of the device. It's not a lot of good Ian Livingstone saying, "Give one to every kid in the UK" when half of those kids won't be able to get a picture on it!
Not quite half is it? As far as I know, you're one of very few who have tried that device without getting a usable result. Could it be just that your monitor is incompatible with the adaptor? Maybe you have a faulty adaptor?
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

thesynapseuk

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 pm

It's not the adapter. I tested the adapter with the HDMI port coming out of my windows laptop and it worked fine. I tested it to make sure that I didn't get a faulty cable.

So the problem does lie with the RPi and its config. I suppose others in the UK have HDMI inputs on their monitors, but being an recent ex-teacher I know that many kids are from poor families who won't have that kind of access.

Still seems strange that a normal VGA monitor causes so many problems though.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:02 pm

thesynapseuk wrote:Still seems strange that a normal VGA monitor causes so many problems though.
How many VGA monitors have you tried? Maybe just an unlucky combo?

thesynapseuk

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:22 am

True. Have yet to try it on my second VGA/DVI monitor.

Would be interesting to see if it works with that one. Will let you know!

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 am

Try updating firmware (or using Debian wheezy image) and using:
hdmi_safe=1
In config.txt.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:37 am

Just had another thought. What else have you got plugged in? I gather this adaptor does have a power draw (although I've not measured it). I wonder if your other devices are starving it of power? That should be an easy thing to eliminate (it's probably not that, but I suppose it could be - this wouldn't be an issue with other computers).

bredman

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 am

Does your VGA monitor have multiple inputs? It is very common for a monitor to get confused* when multiple cables are connected.

*To be exact, the monitor always knows what it is doing, the human gets confused.

thesynapseuk

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:15 am

No, the LiteView has only one VGA port and no others. Strictly VGA.

Return to “Beginners”