Lensmeister

Complete Beginner with a few questions

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi all,

Been lurking a while and finally hope to make a leap to a RBP sometime this year if what I want to do is possible.

As a bit of an radar/enthusiast I want to monitor planes using ADS-B. Currently use a DVT-T UBS dongle on my laptop with RTL1090 and either Basestation (very fiddly to set up and use) or adsbScope.

I am not the best at electronics, wiring etc.

So now the questions:
  • How easy would it be to connect a 7 inch Car reversing monitor to view the RBP?
  • How can I power said monitor as it is portable and I will not be near a power source?
  • I want to use it with the dongle and possibly a wireless mouse and keyboard. What sort of USB hub would be best?
  • What wold be the best way to power the RBP, the Monitor for about 6 - 8 hours at a time?
  • I understand I will need to download Dump1090. Is this a file or just code? (https://github.com/antirez/dump1090)
  • To view the actual planes graphically I use adsbScope which is a windows program, could this be run on a RBP ?
  • If not can anyone suggest how to graphically view and log planes picked up by the Dongle?
Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.
Complete newbie with ideas ahead. Always welcome advice, help and info.

lazarus78

Re: Complete Beginner with a few questions

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:03 pm

There are wireless mouse/keyboard combos for cheap, and only need 1 USB port. A WiFi dongle also uses only 1 port. Assuming you have a Mobel B, you would be just fine there, assuming your power supply can provide enough to run them. A 5V 1A power source is usually enough.

AndyD

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:18 pm

Lensmeister wrote:
  • How easy would it be to connect a 7 inch Car reversing monitor to view the RBP?
  • How can I power said monitor as it is portable and I will not be near a power source?
  • I want to use it with the dongle and possibly a wireless mouse and keyboard. What sort of USB hub would be best?
  • What wold be the best way to power the RBP, the Monitor for about 6 - 8 hours at a time?
  • I understand I will need to download Dump1090. Is this a file or just code? (https://github.com/antirez/dump1090)
  • To view the actual planes graphically I use adsbScope which is a windows program, could this be run on a RBP ?
  • If not can anyone suggest how to graphically view and log planes picked up by the Dongle?
  • It is very easy to connect a car reversing monitor to view the Raspberry Pi display. Yellow lead from the monitor plugs into the RCA jack on the Raspberry Pi.
  • You will need either a 12V battery or convert the voltage of your battery to 12V. There is a post (you will need to search) about someone opening up there reversing monitor and powering it with 5V. One solution is to use a 12V power supply/battery and use the circuit from a car usb charger to power the Raspberry Pi.
  • I suspect you will need a powered hub.
  • Don't know what would be best. Probably need a reasonable amount of power. If you are going 12V, you will loose a little. I am guessing 8 AH would work. Hopefully, someone with more experience there will help you.
  • You need to compile Dump1090. Here (http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/dump1090.html) is a blog about getting it working. Very detailed.
  • Don't know but the blog I mentioned above should be a good starting point.
  • Same as above.

RaspberryPiBoy

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:55 am

I purchased a logitech keyboard with built in touchpad and works great :-)

Return to “Beginners”