ewalsh

Internet Access

Fri May 30, 2014 4:48 pm

So I just powered up my Pi and installed Raspbian. I have an Ethernet cable plugged into my Pi and connected to the router. I booted up without the Ethernet cable plugged in because it kept giving me an error message when it was plugged in. Can someone help me out with accessing the internet?

redhawk

Re: Internet Access

Fri May 30, 2014 4:50 pm

What error message are you getting??

Richard S.

ewalsh

Fri May 30, 2014 4:55 pm

It actually wasn't an error message but it was stuck on a window that said "Please wait while NOOBS initializes." I assumed it had something to do with the Pi not being able to connect to the network so I unplugged the Ethernet cable and rebooted. When it powered up again that window went away after a couple seconds. Then I installed Rasbian as my OS but now I cannot connect to the internet (with the Ethernet cable plugged in). Any ideas?

DeeJay

Fri May 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Both the NOOBS and Raspbian issues suggest that you don't have a working network connection.

Do you have any reason to believe that the cable you are using and the router port you are connecting to are both in working order? (Can you check them with another system, like a laptop?)

Does the network (probably the router) have a dhcp server that will supply a valid IP address and other configuration details to a new workstation? (Have you ever connected another 'new' system and had it work without further configuration?)

[The underlying point is that an RPi running Raspbian will 'just work' if it is booted up while connected to a working network that will support dhcp.]
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Return to “Beginners”