hamilc

config.txt fears

Thu May 22, 2014 9:52 pm

I am trying to get my HDMI video monitor to work properly. I am worried that if I add commands relating to the video configuration in my /boot/config.txt file I might not be able to boot my system and I don't know how to recover. So, if I put a bad command in my /boot/config.txt file, how can I recover. I am afraid to try anything.

DougieLawson

Re: config.txt fears

Thu May 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Pull the card. Put it in your windows machine and you can edit F:\config.txt using notepad.

If you're using NOOBS then hold [SHIFT] while you boot and you can edit /boot/config.txt using the NOOBS rescue system.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hamilc

Thu May 22, 2014 10:20 pm

There is no config.txt on my sd card???? Do I have a problem?

Holding the shift key does allow me to edit the config.txt file though

DeeJay

Fri May 23, 2014 7:16 am

hamilc wrote:There is no config.txt on my sd card???? Do I have a problem?

Holding the shift key does allow me to edit the config.txt file though
Read the second line of the reply from @DougieLawson.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

hamilc

Fri May 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I did read the second line I think. Yes, holding down the shift key while booting does work. I wonder why I cannot read the config.txt file in windows. Is the NOOBS installation a special installation and not a true Linux installation? I thought the NOOBS was just an easy way to get Raspbian into the card. As it turns out, it seems that no matter what I put into my config.txt, the system boots but not necessarily like I would expect. Getting my video output working with my monitor is a challenge but I think I am getting there.

DougieLawson

Fri May 23, 2014 1:00 pm

As soon as you boot NOOBS for the first time some strange things happen with the filesystems on your SDCard.

Windows is a brain-dead piece of crap software that doesn't understand two things about a Raspberry Pi NOOBS SDCard.

1. The card has more than one partition (one primary FAT, one primary ext4, one extended (with a FAT and an ext4 encapsulated within it). Windows assumes (incorrectly) that SDCards ONLY have a single primary partition so it ignores the partition table.

2. Windows can't read any filesystem formatted as ext2, ext3 or ext4 (whether it's a primary or an extended partition) without having extra software installed.
Last edited by DougieLawson on Fri May 23, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

redhawk

Fri May 23, 2014 1:00 pm

NOOBS does not store config.txt in the first fat partition it's located in another partition not accessible via Windows.
You must use NOOBS to edit the configuration file or you edit by mounting the SD card inside another Pi or Linux PC.

Richard S.

Return to “Beginners”