ultimatepi

Bluetooth manager not loading!

Sun May 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi all

Firstly I would like to apologise if I write multiple threads for the same issue. I am really stuck and need desperate help. Secondly, I have just come across a new issue with my Pi. I have bought the ModMyPi Bluetooth dongle and installed all the required packages, but bluetooth manager will not load at all. I have heard this is due to a bug on the raspbian images from December 2013 onwards. If anyone has a fix please let me know.

ultimatepi
I am still learning the world of Raspberry Pi, apologies if I double post.

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

Douglas6

Re: Bluetooth manager not loading!

Sun May 18, 2014 3:29 pm

I just got back to playing with Bluetooth this weekend. Starting from the latest Raspian download, I did an apt-get update and upgrade. I was getting some kernal 'oops'es and 'not tainted' messages which sounded familiar, so I did a sudo rpi-update, and ended up with this:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberry-office 3.12.19+ #684 PREEMPT Fri May 16 19:27:32 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
[email protected] ~ $ /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
May 16 2014 18:49:37
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 3a67cfadce4d248b764d06dea2291917bc5db802 (clean) (release)
Things have been surprisingly stable since then; I've been streaming music from my phone all weekend. Using a CSR 4.0 dongle.

You didn't give us much to go on, so it's hard to say if the firmware is your problem. For starters, what BT dongle are you using, and (sorry, you did mention that) what are the results of 'hciconfig -a'? If the status is 'UP RUNNING PSCAN', you should be good to go, tho I'm not familiar with the GUI Bluetooth Manager. If status is 'DOWN' check for messages using 'dmesg'.

Oh, and please don't double-post. It just makes things confusing for everybody.

ultimatepi

Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi again

I ran the command hciconfig -a and none of the two messages you mentioned came up, also did a firmware update, making no difference at all.

ultimatepi

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

Douglas6

Sun May 18, 2014 5:26 pm

ultimatepi wrote:I ran the command hciconfig -a and none of the two messages you mentioned came up
Ok, what DID come up?

Also, indulge me, and paste the response from this command:

ps aux | grep blue

ultimatepi

Sun May 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi again

I have attached a photo of the outputs of the two commands.

ultimatepi
Attachments
image.jpg
Outputs
image.jpg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 1174 times

Douglas6

Sun May 18, 2014 7:12 pm

I can't see much in that low-res image, but enough to see that bluetooth is running (good), but that the adapter is "DOWN" (bad). That typically seems to be the case with some adapters and the 3.10 kernel as you mentioned in your first post. I just tried my CSR2 dongle (which seems to be the same one you have), and though I can't get it recognized as an audio device (yet), it IS coming up (under kernel 3.12). So you might try updating your kernel, which requires

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
Not sure if another rpi-update is required after that, but it wouldn't hurt.

If you try manually bringing the adapter up with

sudo hciconfig hci0 up
you might get some more information in dmesg.

ultimatepi

Tue May 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi again

Sorry for the late reply...

I have tried that command and done all necessary updates (including a kernel update) and the manager will still not load, even hcitool won't show the bluetooth adapter. Still stuck, I don't know what to do?

ultimatepi

Return to “Beginners”