Jamesking56

Is this possible?

Thu May 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Hello,

I am changing my computer setup and wondered if something was possible.

Is it possible to have a Raspberry Pi that acts as file storage / backup / FTP server.

I have a Windows 8.1 Desktop PC and a Macbook Pro. I want to hook up an external (powered) HDD up to it and use it to store my programming work and backups so that my PC and my Mac can access its data and backup to it from anywhere.

So, it needs to be able to mount the drive automatically, back itself up once a week, share my 2 drive partitions over the local network to PCs and Macs, Allow Macs to use one of the partitions as a Time Machine backup location, Allow PCs to backup to that same partition and also share the drive over FTP so that I can access my programming work when I'm at my workplace.

Is this possible and if it is, how easy is it to do?

DirkS

Re: Is this possible?

Thu May 15, 2014 3:51 pm

There are a lot of sites giving instructions to set up a Pi as a file and / or FTP server.
Set up is fairly straightforward.

As a starting point you could search for 'raspberry pi nas' and / or 'raspberry pi file server'

HTH
Dirk.

skullbucks.in

Thu May 15, 2014 5:26 pm

yes it is possibble..you have to plugin your raspberry pi setup to ethernet and has to make local server on it
for detailed tutorial keep tuned to this link we are about to post this tutorial "http://skullbucks.in/raspberry.html"

DougieLawson

Fri May 16, 2014 6:25 am

Search on here for "Samba/CIFS". You will find hundreds of posts that tell you how to set up filesharing with Windows.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/servergui ... erver.html
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

cyrano

Fri May 16, 2014 8:36 pm

I don't know it's current status on the Pi, but have a look at OwnCloud. It does everything you want and then some.

Return to “Beginners”