BlowingRaspberries
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 am

Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 am

Hi, folks. Bit of a newbie question but I'm having trouble resizing my Pi's main Linux partition so I can make the most of my 16GB card (it's currently using just 2GB).

I tried good old gparted but it won't allow me to increase the size of the partition at all.

What is the bet method to increase the partition to use the maximum free space?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
markb
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:15 am

I've had the same problem - I can move the swap space to the end of the card, but cant resize the main partition. I'm using a boot CD and I wonder if the fact that it creates an image in memory to work from is the problem - there's not enough working space for gparted to do it's stuff? I don't have a pernament bookable linux image to try out

bredman
Posts: 1415
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:32 am

See the end of this page for instructions on how to resize partitions
http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

The June edition of the MagPi magazine also gives a very detailed description
www.themagpi.com

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:48 am

Just to emphasise that you can't use gparted to resize the partition you are booted onto. You need to take out the SD card and use gparted from a different Linux computer, use the in-situ method referred to above, or download gparted live, which can be burned to a cd. With this method you can use a Windows or Mac computer as you will be booting into the gparted live CD.

User avatar
markb
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:58 am

grumpyoldgit wrote:Just to emphasise that you can't use gparted to resize the partition you are booted onto. You need to take out the SD card and use gparted from a different Linux computer, use the in-situ method referred to above, or download gparted live, which can be burned to a cd. With this method you can use a Windows or Mac computer as you will be booting into the gparted live CD.
That is exactly what I'm doing, but it wont let me increase the size of the main linux partition.

User avatar
grumpyoldgit
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 am

markb wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:Just to emphasise that you can't use gparted to resize the partition you are booted onto. You need to take out the SD card and use gparted from a different Linux computer, use the in-situ method referred to above, or download gparted live, which can be burned to a cd. With this method you can use a Windows or Mac computer as you will be booting into the gparted live CD.
That is exactly what I'm doing, but it wont let me increase the size of the main linux partition.
I've found the best thing to start with is to drag the swapfile to the end of the card. If the swapfile is sat in the way you won't be able to change the size of the Linux partition.

RussIT
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 am

you will need to unmount the main partition before resizing it

User avatar
markb
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:27 am

grumpyoldgit wrote:
markb wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:Just to emphasise that you can't use gparted to resize the partition you are booted onto. You need to take out the SD card and use gparted from a different Linux computer, use the in-situ method referred to above, or download gparted live, which can be burned to a cd. With this method you can use a Windows or Mac computer as you will be booting into the gparted live CD.
That is exactly what I'm doing, but it wont let me increase the size of the main linux partition.
I've found the best thing to start with is to drag the swapfile to the end of the card. If the swapfile is sat in the way you won't be able to change the size of the Linux partition.
That's what I did.

BlowingRaspberries
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 am

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks guys - used the instructions here with the CD card in the Pi.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

It worked! Now using the whole card.

User avatar
markb
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:38 pm

when I load out gparted the main linux partition has a warning triangle next to it, and the program says it cant read the the boot sector, or something like that.

User avatar
markb
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:09 am

Re: Can't resize my primary Linux partition

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:09 am

problem sorted. It appears I was using an old version of gparted that didn't recognise the debian image. I downloaded the latest puppy iso and booted that from a DVD. the main partition is now over 7GB.

Return to “Beginners”