GazK

First boot, no keyboard, no LAN

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:28 pm

I'm new to RPI, not to mention Linux. Please go easy on me!

Got my RPI model B, plugged into monitor via HDMI, USB keyboard, LAN connected to router. Boots up ok, video output good, boots to raspi-config, but no lights on keyboard and no key input. Checked on web, checked voltage across TP1/TP2, 5V. Being powered from 1A phone charger socket. Swapped leads and chargers a couple of times, even powered off laptop, no change.

Read about possibility of SSHing and and changing keyboard locale - but LAN is dead, no lights on RPI, no light on router, nothing connected on router config page.

Not sure what to do now, no way of communicating with RPI, troubleshooting options v limited!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: First boot, no keyboard, no LAN

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:25 pm

not starting lan9512 chip/crystal is often due to insufficient power, and/or having received a heavy mechanical shock.

sometimes heating the crystal helps (resoldering).

GazK

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Cheers, I suspected a PSU problem. But I've tried 3 different chargers to no avail, and all of them supply within 5% of 5V at the test pins as measured with a good AVO. Is it possible to have 5V on the board and still have a power problem? What are my options, other than spending money on random chargers until one works?

ultimatepi

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi there

When I first got my Pi, I used a Blackberry phone charger. It was only when I had problems with XBMC that I noticed that the Blackberry phone charger will only provide just enough power to do basic tasks on the Pi. Most mobile phone chargers can't provide at least 1000ma output. I popped in to my local ASDA on the possibility that they may have a power supply suitable for the Pi. And they did!. I now use a dns mobile phone charger that has a 240v input and a 1000ma output which gives the Pi enough power to run XBMC with no problems. The mobile phone charger is really cheap in ASDA, a think there about £2.50?

Hope this helps

ultimatepi
I am still learning the world of Raspberry Pi, apologies if I double post.

I've learnt one thing about Raspberry Pi: You fix an issue, but then you discover another.

rpdom

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:52 am

As mahjongg said, it could be the X1 crystal playing up.

Sometimes a sharp tap on the crystal casing will get it going again (tap it with the end of a pencil or something like that).

If that doesn't work, then briefly applying a hot soldering iron to the points where the crystal is connected to the board can work, but if you aren't certain about you can do that I think your best option is to RMA it. Contact whoever you bought it from and say it is faulty. They will instruct you how to return it and they will send a replacement.

GazK

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to pick up an ASDA PSU today, as a last ditch. I've tried deep freezing the board for a couple of hours and the sharp tap trick, but my soldering iron isn't delicate enough for board work, and in any case why risk it. I'll be RMAing it shortly.

Great forum this, thanks for all the help. I'm sure you haven't heard the last of me!

Gaz

skullbucks.in

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:59 am

check out tour power source ,it should be 5v and 1amp,if its ok check with a multimeter is there any variation in output from your power souce

GazK

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:15 pm

wow, positive outcome to this story. Contacted ebay seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mallinson-ele ... 1439.l2754, explained the issue; they sent out a new Pi, no need to return previous one, no interrogation. New Pi boots, video good, keyboard good, LAN good, remote terminaled in using PuTTY..... good to go!

Mad +ve feedback heading towards ebay seller...

Return to “Beginners”