markrconsulting

Settings for a non-HD PAL TV?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Hello all: I am using a non-HD UK TV as the display for my R-Pi, through the RCA jack into the "video" input of the TV unit. I have changed the default settings from NTSC to PAL by creating a config.txt file, and have adjusted the "overscan" left, right, top and bottom boundaries to suit my TV (as described in the Wiki).

The problem is that the screen resolution is very poor, and the refresh rate is too slow. Even the startup text is difficult to read, and websites are unreadable. Can anybody advise how to change the settings, please?

Should I expect the R-Pi to deliver sound through the PAL TV?

I have looked at the monitor settings under the "startx" graphical interface (preferences), and can only see a choice between "Auto" and "720 x 576" resolution and between "Auto" and "0.0" refresh rate (it makes no difference which option is selected). I'm not even sure if these correspond with my actual screen settings.

Please tell me if you need any other relevant information to identify the problem. Thank you.

JeremyF

Re: Settings for a non-HD PAL TV?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:39 pm

Sound will not come out by default. You need to put an adapter (passive) in the 3.5mm port to make it (red-white) phono audio. You also need to enable audio out. (I forget how, but everyone else knows) If the text is hard to read, you can make the framebuffer have bigger pixels.

ex. framebuffer_height=480, framebuffer_width=360
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

markrconsulting

Re: Settings for a non-HD PAL TV?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Thank you JeremyF for your prompt and helpful reply.

The framebuffer adjustment gave me a sharper image, by making the text size bigger. I played with different height to width values in the ratio 0.8 to 1 (i.e. 4 to 5) to make the best compromise, but I think the resolution of the TV itself is a large part of the problem. My feeling is that a PAL TV is probably not going to be satisfactory and I shall need to buy / find a proper monitor (unless anyone else has ideas).

My config.txt file now reads as follows:

#set mode to PAL for UK TV
sdtv_mode=2

# adjust resolution
framebuffer_height=440
framebuffer_width=550

# Adjust display boundaries
overscan_left=50
overscan_right=40
overscan_top=25
overscan_bottom=25

Return to “Beginners”