jonny3010

Will the raspberry pi run eurosport player

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Will the raspberry pi run eurosport player as thats one of the things im gona use it for as its cheaper to run than pluging in a laptop just for eurosport player

eurosport player uses silverlight

abishur

Re: Will the raspberry pi run eurosport player

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Linux in general doesn't play nice with silverlight (which is basically Microsoft's security protected media streaming alternative to flash) there is a "moonlight" application that gives support (more or less) for silverlight versions 1 and 2. So it depends on which version of silverlight the eurosport player uses and whether or not moonlight will compile on the pi.

All that said, at the moment the desktop side of the pi is sluggish for the time being until we get it to make use of the GPU's acceleration.

Still, seeing as how I don't live in europe maybe someone who can actually access the player could try it out for you and report on their success or failure ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

praest76

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Moonlight struggled on my dual-core laptop. I'd be extremely surprised if anyone gets it running on a Pi.
PRAEst76 [about.me/praest76]
  • Pi¹ - xibalba: OpenELEC, media centre
    Pi² - erebus: Debian Sid, general shell
Raspberry Pi Last.fm group - last.fm/group/Raspberry+Pi

paystey

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:27 pm

I've got a working Pi and am hoping to use it for XBMC and eurosport player (god knows how that integration will work). So I'll try it on the basic squeeze image in the next few days to see if it works, fingers crossed it does, I want to sell my "eurosport" laptop :).

ghans

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:56 am

I'm pretty sceptical about Moonlight. Its the same PITA like porting gnash . We're already struggling with Mesa , X11 , SDL and ffmpeg.
After that , we could have a look into this.
ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

batfastad

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:15 am

Just registered to add that I've never managed to get Eurosport Player to work with Moonlight, even on a Core i5 machine. So I don't think it would ever happen on the Pi.

I've already complained to Eurosport about this and that they should look at alternative streaming software but I can't see anything changing in the near future.

AndrewS

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:05 am

The more people that complain, the more chance there is of Eurosport changing things... :)

Return to “Beginners”