PowerHaulJack

Pre-installed SD card query

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I've ordered my Raspberry Pi through RS Components recently along with a pre-installed SD card with the necessary OS for the Pi. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this pre-installed OS is? My order form doesn't specify which one it is, and just outlines that it's designed for the Pi.

Does anyone know which one it is? I'm wanting to look into it so when I come round to stating the Pi up for the first time, I know what passwords/usernames to put in as I know the three OS's that the Pi is designed for have different details and don't want to muck it up.

So if anyone can answer my question, that'll be grand.

Regards
Jack (aged 16 and looking forward to getting my pi)

itimpi

Re: Pre-installed SD card query

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:06 pm

I do not have one of these, but I think I have seen references to it being the Debian install.

PowerHaulJack

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Thank's for that. What version of Debian does it come with? I quite like the look of LXDE.

itimpi

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:03 pm

PowerHaulJack wrote:Thank's for that. What version of Debian does it come with? I quite like the look of LXDE.
I would assume is the same release of Debian 6 that you can downoad from www.raspberrypi.org. That has LXDE installed as standard.

PowerHaulJack

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks for that.

grumpyoldgit

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 pm

A couple of posters have now mentioned that RS have an option to buy a pre-loaded Sd card. There seems to be no information available on their site and you need to be in the process of buying a Pi to get the option to get one, so no-one on here can check it out to see what it is all about. As RS have decided to be so secretive about it, can someone who gets an invite make a note of the description?

PowerHaulJack

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:33 pm

I was asked on the 31st May to order it through RS Components, and with my code, I did. However, the description for the SD card says '4GB SD Card with Raspberry Pi OS installed' which means nothing! I'm currently in the process of, through VirtualBox, installing Linux Debian so I can get used to what I think is the OS they're talking about.

I just have to wait 5 weeks now until I can actually see what it means.

Return to “Beginners”